Zuiko 50mm which one is sharper the one "Japan" or "Made in Japan"?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by shaolin95, Aug 26, 2013.

1. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    I keep reading different information in my research so I was wondering if anyone has had both for a definitive answer. :)
  2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    You might be able to glean something of value from this site. Apologies if you've already seen this.
  3. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    I had both versions (several times) and IMHO it really came down to the individual lens. The "Made in Japan" version has the reputation of being the sharpest. That said, of the various OM 50/1.8's I've had the sharpest single lens happened to have been a "Made in Japan" labeled lens.
  4. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    I will be trying that one and/or Canon FDn 1.4 next then.
  5. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    I have never had this lens, but I discussed your question with a colleague who is a camera fanatic and owns 4 copies of the Zuiko 50mm f:1.8 lens. (He also owns almost every 35mm camera made in the last 60 years, including 17 Nikon F1s - each of which differs slightly from all the others. And he USES them . . .)

His opinion is that the "Made in Japan" version is sharper than the "Japan" version. He says that the build quality is also better, and that he can feel it in the focusing, etc.

- Tom -