Zooming technique

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by freddytto, Dec 14, 2012.

1. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    To apply this technique in your photographs, you need a zoom that lets you vary the focal length, it is advisable to have a tripod. Although, as you can see in the photo, in that case has not been made ​​use of it, but I lost the focus, I mean, get focus in the hass and not in the bull.

DSC01003 by Freddytto Robles, on Flickr

you already tried?
  2. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    It's only a matter of time until Freddytto finally discovered the secret of time travel! :)
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
  4. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    Cool Freddy.

Can you explain what you did a little more?
  5. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    Yes, here is one from a couple of months ago (Nex 5 and 55-210 on a tripod)

6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Cool stuff. I have never been able to make it work to my satisfaction.
  7. markoneswift

markoneswift TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 17, 2012
    I've tried this before, albeit not with the NEX. I've seen people doing variations of the technique where they rotate the camera body, rather than the zoom ring of the lens. You can do interesting things by rotating yourself too, such as shooting upward whilst sat on a roundabout or swivel chair. Here's a zoom blast ( as I call it ) from back in my Canon days :-

BOOM ! Look out Santa !!!! by markoneswift, on Flickr

Last years' Christmas tree
  8. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    is easy, just choose the low exposure time, I did this without a tripod and 6sec , with the kit 18-55mm at ISO 1600, but I just was testing, did not go so well, but with constant practice can improve this technique.

The zooming is a simple technique to add an effect of speed and dynamism produced by the converging lines created by the change in focal length during shooting, focusing the viewer's attention on the center of the shot.

For that we need to use a tripod, since we use a fairly low shutter and prevent camera shake and the focus of our picture. When shooting, we must change the focal length (zoom) of the lens while the shutter is open (I mean between the first and the second "click").