Zoom lenses slow?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by alaios, Jul 21, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Hi there.
    I am looking these days for zoom lenses and I have found around that the zoom lenses are considered "slow" lenses. Smallest aperture is typically 3.5

I find it interesting though that I can find quite of these lenses people consider slow under 100 euros, like the vivitar or some minolta lenses.

I was wondering what would you consider a fast (or faster zoom lens), if that helps I am focusing between anything 30-150mm and how much would it cost (roughly), in second hand to get one (some examples/links might help)

More kind of being weird question and improving "world" understanding at the same time.

I would like to thank you in advance for your help

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    First, f/3.5 is the BIGGEST aperture on the kit zoom, not the smallest one (I think that one is f/22). Second, for zoom lenses there are usually constant f/2.8 ones that are expensive and cheaper, smaller and lighter f/4 ones. The fastest one available is the Tamron 18-35mm f/1.8.

Primes are considered fast from f/2 onwards in the range from 24 to 100 mm. Ultra wide angle and tele lenses are generally considered fast from f/2.8 onwards.

Edit: There are a few f/3.5 or f/4 legacy zoom lenses that are affordable, current f/2.8 lenses usually cost above €1200. The Tamron 18-35 which can be adapted is around €800.