1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Zoom lenses slow?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by alaios, Jul 21, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi there.
    I am looking these days for zoom lenses and I have found around that the zoom lenses are considered "slow" lenses. Smallest aperture is typically 3.5

I find it interesting though that I can find quite of these lenses people consider slow under 100 euros, like the vivitar or some minolta lenses.

I was wondering what would you consider a fast (or faster zoom lens), if that helps I am focusing between anything 30-150mm and how much would it cost (roughly), in second hand to get one (some examples/links might help)

More kind of being weird question and improving "world" understanding at the same time.

I would like to thank you in advance for your help

Regards
    Alex

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    First, f/3.5 is the BIGGEST aperture on the kit zoom, not the smallest one (I think that one is f/22). Second, for zoom lenses there are usually constant f/2.8 ones that are expensive and cheaper, smaller and lighter f/4 ones. The fastest one available is the Tamron 18-35mm f/1.8.

Primes are considered fast from f/2 onwards in the range from 24 to 100 mm. Ultra wide angle and tele lenses are generally considered fast from f/2.8 onwards.

Edit: There are a few f/3.5 or f/4 legacy zoom lenses that are affordable, current f/2.8 lenses usually cost above €1200. The Tamron 18-35 which can be adapted is around €800.