1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Zoom click noise Sony E 18-55

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Erik5275, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Erik5275

Erik5275 TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 15, 2014
    Hi!

I preordered an A6000 and decided not to go with the 16-50 kit lens for many reasons. I instead ordered a black 18-55 from a NEX-7 kit on eBay.

I received the lens today, and it looks new as promised. I did however discover a fairly audible click noise when zooming from 55 to 18, just around where the 30mm mark would have been. This noise is not present when zooming from 18-55, only in the other direction.

Is this normal for this lens, or may it have a potential issue? I can't try it on a camera yet as my A6000 won't be delivered until the beginning of April, and it doesn't fit on my D7000 obviously.

/Erik

2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I don't recall my SILVER 18-55 doing that "clicking" sound when zoomimg...I don't know if Sony changed something in the Black version but I highly doubt it

3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    The 18-55 works with a plastic tube inside a mag alloy tube, so the clicking can have many issues. I doubt it will affect optical quality and it should work normal, but your best bet might be to try it on a NEX in a store or on a friends NEX if anybody got one, just to be sure.

4. Erik5275

Mar 15, 2014
    Thank you for your replies. I unfortunately don't know anyone with a Sony E-mount camera, and no stores around here have them as demo units either. I guess I just have to wait and see.

I recorded a video of the noise which can be found on the following link if anyone is interested: https://youtu.be/2RDqVt4Fkwo

You'll have to excuse the quality. Quick phone video.

5. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Sounds like the seam where the plastic tube is put together was finished a little at the rough side. This can happen with the way the lens is assembled, but it shouldn't affect performance. Whether the click itself disturbs you or not is a different question.

6. Erik5275

Mar 15, 2014
    Thank you for your answer. I'll think about whether to return it or not. I think it may be disturbing, and should not happen on a brand new unused product. I'll just have to decide if it's worth the trouble to return it. Thanks again.

7. rdfisch

rdfisch TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    I have an SEL1855 in black and it does not click while zooming throughout its range in either direction.

Nor, IMO, does it have anything resembling a quality feel while zooming ... more a feeling I think of as functional mediocrity.

All in all, does a nice job for the money, but not a treat for the tactile senses.

8. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    At least it's much better in terms of build quality than most of its competition. Remember, it's a kit lens.

Oh, and have you heard it'll be replaced in a few weeks by a new 18-50mm f/4-5.6?

9. rdfisch

rdfisch TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    I haven't ... nor could I find any info trying a quick search. Do you know what the thinking is here ?

10. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    It's rumored to be introduced together with the A3500. The thinking? Well, while the SEL1855 was a nice kit lens back in 2010 when it was introduced, since then the competition has outclassed Sony with their kit lenses. Fuji offers faster kit zooms and Canons 18-55 II is far better optically. It's time for Sony to move on. At the moment, there's not much to get from the 18-55 over the pancake kit zoom, the newer version can change that.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    I'll be curious to see what this 18-50 offers. From the posted pics, it looks like it is f4.0-5.6, slower than the 18-55's f3.5-5.6 (though not much). And the pics show only a zoom ring - no apparent focus ring - which may mean no manual focus, only autofocus. Fine for a cheap kit lens in an entry level, but no upgrade to anything Sony offers.

Unless, of course, the pics and rumors are missing something.

12. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I guess IQ could be better than on the old one. But the main point should be price - it'll be sold at €300 - with a body. Also, the 55mm filter thread is a weird one for Sony.

13. Erik5275

Mar 15, 2014
    I now have a replacement lens on the way, and the seller has checked it and made sure it doesn't click. Problem solved.

I was interested when I first read about the new 18-50 kit lens, because it's a newer design and as such is probably better optically, but then I discovered that it is auto focus only. I think I will be happy with the 18-55 for the things I'm gonna use it for. I have other lenses when I want really good quality, I just need to find good adapters for them.