1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Zeiss Touit 2.8/50M officially announced and priced

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Poki, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Finally, Zeiss announced that the Touit 2.8/50M will be available at march for a retail price of €755 (exlc. VAT -- about €900 incl. VAT) or USD 999.

[video=youtube_share;CX3UR9TPgLw]http://youtu.be/CX3UR9TPgLw[/video]

More infos on their blog.

I can't wait to get my hands on this lens. As you can see on the full sized samples on their Flickr, it renders beautifully. It shows a moderate amount of chromatic aberrations, pretty much no distortion of field curvature and the floating elements design seems to work best at medium distances and worst at infinity (although it's still quite good there). It seems as good as expected - which says a lot for a lens in a line-up with such a high reputation.

Now I just hope to be able to get the money together until march, but I'm definitely going to buy it as soon as I can.

What's your opinion about this lens? Will you consider to buy it?

• Like Like x 5
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I have no plans to buy one. Though it sure looks impressive, and am looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

3. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I dunno - I got a Leitz 60mm macro AND a Summicron-R 35mm for less than this Touit's intro price.

To be honest, I'm not sure what this Touit would have to offer me over my legacy macros, except for autofocus and the ability to go to 1:1 without an extension tube. I don't know that there would be any big, stunning difference at f/16 which I used to use quite a bit on APS-C. (Would be fun to borrow one some time and find out…)

If it rendered the best sun stars out of any product lens, that might get my attention.

12098766476_34b1202b00_n.
    Blue "Sea Form" Paperweight by Jeff Addicott, on Flickr

4. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Lens design has evolved. As long as you use your macro lenses only for macro, you probably wouldn't get a huge difference (except for probably better contrast), but due to the floating element design the Touit should perform considerably better at medium to large distances. Also, according to the samples it should have noticeably less field curvature than most old macro lenses, and its comatic and chromatic aberrations are pretty well controlled. Not knowing the Leitz 60mm, but judging from other legacy macro lenses, it should give you a bit extra in most aspects. All of this, of course, doesn't justify to buy it if you already own the excellent Leitz 60mm lens -- I wouldn't buy it either in that case.

5. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    The web size samples looks nice. 4th lens of the 50-60mm range for nex/apsc. As Jeff said, I prefer the mf for macro's and also the longer lenses esp for pets, bugs, etc... Stabilization helps also for bugs since it is more hand held shots. Hopefully we'll see your shots soon...

6. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yeah, I hope too. :)

Reading response to the announcement all over the web, it seems to be overly negative, which I find interesting. First, sure, there are many lenses in this focal range for NEX, but this one is the most versatile one by far. Second, while longer macro lenses are important for certain macro setups, shorter ones like this Touit are great for many types of photography too - especially landscapes and product shots / still lifes / etc., where you often can't back up too far but need the compression of a tele lens and the sharpness of a macro lens.

Also, I always preferred Makro-Planar lenses for portraits. I simply prefer the look of them over other fast portrait lenses. And although the sample portraits are horribly retouched, I hope this lens will be no different than its siblings.

So for me, it's perfect. But I can understand why many think it's pointless. Well, let's see if I can put it in good use.

More opinions are welcome! Please share your thoughts.

7. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I am interested but won't probably get it. Too many things to purchase and too little money so it would sit on the to be get list very long any way.

8. Armanius

Armanius TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Houston Texas USA
    Pricey, and not a macro guy. But those samples sure look really nice!

I may have missed it, but I don't think I read anything on the blog about a focus limiter. Which begs the question, will the AF be slow?

9. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Knowing the focus by wire CDAF system Sony uses, it will probably be just as fast as any other lens when the difference doesn't change dramatically, but will take a little time to adjust from infinity to MFD.

10. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
  11. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    I think it's a sensible expansion of the e-mount line up. Offering a higher end macro lens than what's already offered, also at a longer focal length makes sense. Dedicated macro lenses haven't interested me personally. So I probably won't buy one. If that elusive 85mm f1.8 ever gets released, I'd jump on that more readily.

Since the introduction of the A7/r, I am curious how much of the frame this lens will cover on FF.

12. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Image field diameter 28,2 mm, so it won't even come close to cover a ff sensor. But what's the point of using a high end APS-C lens on a sensor bigger than what it's designed for?

13. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    There might be a matter of some of that Zeiss "mojo" - something in the overall rendering that's hard to quantify or describe, but yields a consistently more satisfying image. I've had a few different macros in the 50-60mm range that were pretty much impossible to tell apart just from a sharpness standpoint, but settled on the Leitz for the above reason.

I've also noticed on greater lenses, corner sharpness seems to max out in unison with the center (instead of having the center peak at 5.6 and corners at 8). That's the sort of thing a $1000 prime might get you. Might be nice for copying or cataloging paintings.

14. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    there's no point. just curiosity due to near usability of Sig 30mm and 10-18mm on FF.