1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Zeiss Touit 12mm on sale

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by slothead, May 13, 2015.

1. slothead

slothead TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    I see that this lens (normally $999) is on sale for $699 (a pretty significant sale price). Has anyone had any experience with this lens? I'm tempted to buy it, but unless it isn't extremely good, would not want to spend $700 more to get something slightly better than my Sony 16mm f/2.8.

2. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    All reviews have it much better than the Sony 16 2.8 + wide adapter, especially if you want sharp corners. There is also the Rokinon 12mm f2 available if you don't mind manual focus which is comparable to the Zeiss from an IQ standpoint and is less than half the prrice of the Zeiss. At 12mm, AF probably becomes less important

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    You're right HabsFan (and I didn't even think about the wide adapter), however I'm not sure I would equate a Rokinon to a Zeiss even if it had AF. If my objective was for IQ, I probably wouldn't even consider an Rokinon, but that is just my opinion from ages of experience with both "names" and "non-names.".

4. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    The Rokinon is an Excellent lens and miles ahead of the 16 2.8. I can't personally say how it compares to the Zeiss, but there are many reports that say it is favorable to equall IQ wise. BTW - I sold the 16 because I found it unacceptable for me. Here is a thread for the Rokinon https://www.talkemount.com/threads/7565/

5. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    In my experience there are 3 or 4 companies that sell the Rokinon under different names (unless I am thinking of a different product), and that kind of branding doesn't give me a warm feeling. But I respect your opinion WestO.

6. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    I think Samyang is the parent company and sells under different brands depending on the market (Rokinon, Bower, etc.).

Check out David Kilpatrick's review.

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2015/01/12/samyang-12mm-f2-ncs-cs-lens/

He rates it better than the Zeiss for image quality and he is very well respected when it comes to Sony gear. Kurt Munger also gives it a pretty glowing review. From all accounts, it's a well made lens and being that it is manual focus, there will probably be less opportunity for things to break on it. Just my 2 cents on it. I currently have the E16 + wide adapter which works well enough, especially if you crop away the extreme corners.

7. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I bought the Touit for €1.200 back then, and I don't regret it. It's an awesome lens with great build quality, and the image quality is worth of the Zeiss name for sure. Oh, and by the way, it shows almost no coma defect which is great for night landscapes. You can view a few of the photos I made with this lens here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/48126456@N05/sets/72157644356944156

8. mnhoj

mnhoj TalkEmount Regular

Aug 19, 2013
    I owned the Z12 when I shot Fuji.
    And just sold the Rokinon.
    Both are great lenses without much difference when it comes to making corner sharp, contrasty images.
    If I were to buy one again it would be the Rok for it's value.

9. josema

josema TalkEmount Regular

Mar 31, 2013
    Spain
    Jose M. Alonso
    I had the Touit and the Sony 16mm + UWA. I also got the SEL 1018. I made some tests with both Sonys back then:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/josema_a/sets/72157633137217026
    I, fortunately, got the Touit for much less than Poki taking advantage of the B&H combo deal last year (I still own the 32mm)
    The Touits are fantastic and agree with Poki on the image quality. The 16mm with UWA is so so but had limited cost, of course. I decided to stay with the SEL1018 as the quality was very good and has the zoom option. It's not as good as the Touit but given I didn't need the 2.8 as 4.0 was fine enough, that I've a Nex6 and that I don't print big, it seemed the most reasonable choice for me. I'm tempted to try the Rokinon/Samyang at that price point though.

10. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    I just realized that the Touit is not an OSS lens, and that really disappoints me (and am therefore now considering the SEL1018 (even though $50 more than the same price of the Touit). But I'm curious about the "I don't print big" statement Josema. Do you think there is that much difference in the resolution that you could print a Zeiss Touit much bigger than the SEL1018? I'm serious about this because I DO print big (I have a 2' x 6' mural, and many 2' x 3' poster-size images that I have made with my Nikon D800 and other cameras). Please tell me as much as you can as to why you said that and what you think the lens IQ differences are.

11. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Is OSS really that important to you at such a short focal length? I might be the wrong person to ask as I use the lens mainly on a tripod, but still, I'd guess that hand holding a 12mm lens at around 1/40th of a second should yield sharp enough images, even without OSS.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    That's a very good point Poki. And I do NOT think it is that important on a wide lens like that! I know that on my long lenses I depend on it regularly, especially when the light is low, but you are absolutely right. It is not that much of an advantage for a wide lens. Thanks for your contribution here.

13. josema

josema TalkEmount Regular

Mar 31, 2013
    Spain
    Jose M. Alonso
    Agree with Poki. It's not about OSS. I also tend to use tripod for any serious landscape work. It's more the quality I can see when zooming in. And the microcontrast (is that the word?) I guess the differences would be more noticeable when using a sensor with more resolution. As I said I kept the SEL1018 as a matter of convenience (to me). One other thing to also consider: sweet spot of SEL1018 is at f8, while I believe Touit is more like 4-5.6. I wish I could go smaller than f8 but sharpness is worse and especially noticeable from f11.

14. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Thanks guys. I've switched my order. Now just to wait until B&H opens for checkout (some "Sabath" issue I think).

Thanks again,

15. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    You won't be disappointed, I'm absolutely sure about that. The Zeiss Touit 12mm is, like all the Touit lenses, an absolutely wonderful lens. A little overpriced at it's full price for sure, but as good as you could wish for.

16. shotupdave

shotupdave TalkEmount Regular

Jul 22, 2014
    Torrance, CA
    Dave
    sabbath is over so you an order now

17. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Hey shotupdave, thanks for your calendar services and spelling tutorial. The lens is ordered! :dance3:

... edit ...

Unless my eyes are deceiving me, you and I have the same message count (at least at this date/time).