Zeiss Loxia 35/2

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by christilou, Feb 17, 2015.

1. christilou

christilou TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    Just looking at the review on Steve Huff's site and wondering what others are thinking. The Zeiss home page also has a link to some other flickr Loxia images that look rather good. I had the FE35 for a short while but didn't find it that impressive. Now I'm wondering if this one would be the one to get given that they seem to have got manual focus implementation working well.

2. hodad66

hodad66 Sony Guru

Feb 8, 2012
    Indialantic, Fl
    John
    I wonder the same thing..... ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  3. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    From the reviews, it is similar to ZM version, eg not the sharpest wide open or the nicest bokeh. It has nice Zeiss colors with stopped down sharpness... I highly recommend the more expensive Zeiss ZM 35mm 1.4 if you have the budget. 35 1.4 is perfect on Leica M's and OK on Sony A's.

You can read Viktor's excellent reviews:
    www.verybiglobo.com/zeiss-loxia-biogon-352-review/
    www.verybiglobo.com/zeiss-distagon-35mm-f1-4-zm-review/

Some Leica shooters still find the RX1 has the best lens compared to more clinical ZM 35 1.4...

• Like Like x 1
  4. christilou

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    Nice, but too expensive :( I splashed out on the 50mm Summilux and I have a second hand 90 Elmarit. I have a couple of Zeiss ZM and a Voigtlander for the Leica M but was looking for something to compliment the FE55 1.8 on the A7R which is the camera I seem to be using the most ;) I like the idea of the way the Loxia focuses.

• Like Like x 1
  5. christilou

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    Looking at some of the samples I'm not liking the busy irregular bokeh it sometimes produces..... this might make me hesitate I think.

6. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    In some shots, the bokeh looks nice and some looks busy. I remember the zm version comparison to RX1 and it was not my cup of tea. In Viktor's and your shots, I like the CV 35mm II the best:) But I think I like 50mm better, used to shoot 35 more with nex'es...

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. christilou

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    If I hadn't already got the FE55 I think i would've gone for the Loxia 50mm planar. Love my Contax G planer 45mm on the A7r.

8. christilou

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    I'm still trying to decide about the 35mm Loxia and having looked at http://www.verybiglobo.com/zeiss-loxia-biogon-352-review/ and his comparison samples, I consistently picked out either the Sony FE lenses or the Voigtlander 35mm 1.2 II that I already have so I guess that's answered that. Maybe the new FE35mm 1.4 would be better but I don't want to spend all that money for such a large lens when I have the fairly compact RX1.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    How about Sony 28mm at 1/3 price. Here is a comparison review of Loxia vs Sony 28/35mm:
    http://backgroundblur.com/#!/articles/55086b3fbc1317ac11f1f942

Steve Huff has a review also:
    http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2015/03/19/the-zeiss-loxia-35-biogon-f2-lens-review/

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015