Showcase Zeiss FE 55mm f/1.8

quezra

TalkEmount All-Pro
If you wish to avoid a serious attack of G.A.S., look away now.

f/2.8 ISO 100
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

100% crop

f/2 ISO 2000

100% crop

Yes, that's the JPEG engine almost perfectly preserving the faux snakeskin texture on the menus at ISO 2000.

This is without a doubt the best JPEG engine I've ever used - handily beats Canon's which I've had serious envy over for the last 2 years.

serhan

TalkEmount All-Pro
From previous A7(R) post:

serhan

TalkEmount All-Pro
At local park, wide open:

radimere

TalkEmount Regular
Convincing demos, quezra & serhan! Would you guys happen to have portraits to share? Curious to see how well it performs on the eye area. :)

TonyTurley

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Nice pics! Premium cameras with premium lenses . . . my wallet is squirming just at the thought of it. :D

Tony

quezra

TalkEmount All-Pro
Convincing demos, quezra & serhan! Would you guys happen to have portraits to share? Curious to see how well it performs on the eye area. :)
Check out serhan's link above - 100% eye crops are best seen on the A7R :)

quezra

TalkEmount All-Pro
Ok here is a portrait and eye crop under "natural light" conditions:

f2.8 ISO 1250

100% crop

I was on continuous burst shutter so it may not be 100% sharp. And ISO 1250 JPEG is pretty lossy. But dang.

Dang is right! I think Sony has hit it out of the park with both of the FE primes they released. Yeah, the 35mm could be a bit faster, but I'm happy to trade that speed for its tiny size, and shooting at ISO 3200 or even 6400 doesn't lose you much on the A7/R. If I could afford both, I'd snag that 55 in a heartbeat! My poor little Industar 55 is like a Yugo compared to Sony's Aston Martin. :D

quezra

TalkEmount All-Pro
Yeah, the funny thing is, I find f2.8 is my favored aperture with the FE55 too. Super, super sharp, but nice DoF control nearly all the time (or rather it is the closest match to my prefered f1.8 on the SEL35). Makes me want the 35/2.8 soooo badddd (but if I am getting that lens it will have to wait till next year on my budget :sorrow: )