1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Zeiss FE 16-35 f4 softer than expected corners?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by NightBird, Jul 6, 2015.

1. NightBird

NightBird TalkEmount Regular

Jun 13, 2014
    I'm just after thoughts or comments on what I think look like quite soft corners / edges. The image sample was taken @ 16mm / f14 on my A7r. It's from the RAW, which has had Lightroom CC lens profile correction applied. It might be just me expecting more from a $1300 lens, and to be fair I haven't had time to take many images just yet. I'm looking forward to that over the next week or so while I'm away. I also understand that some softness really is expected in wide zooms. It's just the amount that grabbed my attention.

I guess having sky in the top corners is counter productive in this exercise, though it wasn't my purpose at the time, and the skyline still shows the softness towards the edges.

My only other experience with such a lens was my Tokina 11-16 on a Nikon D90.

19270978788_6a6e8506c4_z.
    Gross Valley
    by Darren Nightingale, on Flickr

2. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    If you take a look at DXOmark's measurements for that lens, you can see the sharpness peaks at F5.6, and is noticeably lower after F11.

If you click on global map or field map you can see the performance after F11 is dropping more at the corners.

http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Sony/...A-OSS-mounted-on-Sony-A7R---Measurements__917

I think you would have had plenty of depth of field if you shot that photo at F8, and you would have got better results.

Edit: Corrected my jibberish

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. NightBird

Jun 13, 2014
    Good point, f8 would have been fine given the scene, and I'll definitely try that soon.

4. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    If you are going out there again, another thing to try would be zooming in a little and shooting that scene using several images for a stitch panorama.

I've been getting great results just merging with lightroom, crazy sharpness. With the A7R you could end up with a 100 megapixel image.

5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Hard to judge from a 2048px wide jpeg. If you could provide a full-size jpeg or the raw, I could say something about it. I have the FE 16-35mm myself and even the extreme corners are adequately (IMHO, and I am one picky guy!) sharp at 16mm. At the edges left and right mine would be perfectly sharp I'm sure.

6. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    I have it too and I am more than happy with it. I tend to use it between f8 and f11 most of the time. Pretty sharp at these apertures indeed.

7. NightBird

Jun 13, 2014
    Thanks for your comments.

This link is to a full size JPG. As mentioned, the image wasn't a test at the time, so it's not the perfect example by any means. I'm happy to accept it's just a problem with me rather than the lens.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5cktotvhyj1h05l/Valley.jpg?dl=0

8. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Almost the whole image looks slightly out of focus, only the bottom edge is sharper but still not as sharp as my FE 16-35mm can be. When testing try manual focus with focus magnification; my A7 with 16-35mm doesn't always put the focus point where I want it to be when using autofocus.

9. NightBird

Jun 13, 2014
    Might well have been problem with me. I would have thought at 16mm and f14, there wouldn't be much room for focus issues. The shutter was 1/50th, which isn't fast, but should have been fine for 16mm hand held. I'm used to using focus magnify & peaking with all my manual lenses, so I'll try that as well with the 16-35. I'm hoping to give it some solid use over the coming week in different environments. Thanks again for your time & suggestions.