Zeiss Batis

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Pitter, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Pitter

Pitter TalkEmount Veteran

What's the take on these new lenses?

2. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    Should be good shouldnt it? I do like Zeiss lenses but I also like autofocus (although my zeiss macro is a dream to MF.) Seems like 2 good focal lengths although I am not in for the wide angle. Zeiss does appear to be following in the tracks of Sony schizophrenia - touits, batis, loxia. The price seems ok given the Zeiss premium. I guess the major word of caution was that people seem rather underwhelmed with the touits and their focusing.

• Like Like x 1
  3. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Previously Zeiss was using their blog. Now they are answering the questions in FB:
    https://www.facebook.com/carlzeisslenses#

The specs are out. From Zeiss answers, not much info will be available till June... I am sure they might have some testers but they might not release any info under confidentiality agreements...

4. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Two important prime focal lengths not yet covered - with AF. That's a good thing. I would LOVE to get both (but alas probably can't quite justify either...)

The OLED distance readout is interesting. Some will probably call it a gimmick - some will probably be lured in by the glow. If they had a version without for $100 less I'd probably opt for that, but overall, the pricing doesn't seem too out of line if the performance is there.

Seems like just yesterday the FE lens system only had a few items. Now I'd say it is blossoming! :yahoo:

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I suppose they work with a NEX-7, too? Not sure about how the OLED display reacts when using the lens on older bodies.

For me, the 85 mm one is very tempting. It's a focal length completely missing from my camera bag, and the price, size and weight seem to be okay. If the image quality comes close to the 50 mm Touit, I'll add it to my wish list. Not interested in the 25 mm though, my 24 mm Sony Zeiss is just about perfect, while it's also smaller, lighter and faster, with a better focus ring.

6. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Id be willing to be the oled display is independent of the body and would work on any emount, though I don't know for sure of course.

7. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    (This is off my blog: www.billdanby.com)

The Zeiss people are not ones to pass up an opportunity. That's why we have the Touit and Loxia lines. It looks to me, however, that they did these lens line to address niche opportunities.

That was then, this is now.

It also looks to me like Zeiss recognises that the full-frame, E-mount system is gaining a professional (and cashed-up enthusiast) following that needs to be addressed.

The E-mount, however has special needs. There are a few technical issues that we won't explore here, but the most obvious E-mount requirement is smaller sizes — sizes appropriate to the A7 series cameras.

The Otus line works for Nikon and Canon because size isn't that important there. Everything is big; and it might be that caonikon owners like it that way — proof that you're serious? The E-mount system, however, is designed to keep sizes down.

If we look at the Batis 85mm, it's going to be f/1.8. In the canikon world there are many who would expect an 85mm f/1.4 or even 1.2. Hence the Otus 85mm f/1.4. The Batis is big, but not huge.

I think the new tag lines from Zeiss gives their views away:

"The new Batis lenses from ZEISS: The moment mirrorless photography matches your aspiration."

Seemingly our aspirations weren't being met until now. And,

"// NEW PRO ERA"​

And, where Zeiss goes, can Sigma be far behind? Sigma has already signalled that it will be doing some full-frame E-mounts. It will be interesting to see if they go head-to-head with Sony and Zeiss, or provide a high quality but slightly slower and less expensive line, as they did with their APS-C, E-mount lenses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    I do hope that if sigma produce FE lens's they wont try to compete with the top end. Rather offer some more reasonably prices optics for people not wanting put down a grand for each new lens.

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    I'm really interested in the 85mm and cautiously optimistic about the performance. Obviously it won't match the Otus but if it comes as close as the FE55 does to the Otus 55 the Batis 85 will be hard to pass up!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. DigitalD

DigitalD TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    These lenses sealed the deal for me wanting to finally jump into AF FE lenses. I hope they live up to the hype IQ wise. That will be fan-freaking-tastic!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. storyteller

Sep 25, 2011
    Personally I'm hoping they go for zooms. Although a series of full-frame 2.8 primes with the value of their DN series would be very nice—especially since there are no native 2.8 lenses and if there ever are they will be $$$$!

12. tomO2013

tomO2013 TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 11, 2014
    I'm very excited for these lenses. The 25 F2 fills out the wide angle very nicely - it's a wide Distagon design too so Zeiss are obviously sparing no expense on optical quality with this one. Their wide angle Distagons on other mounts are usually brilliant.

However the 85 1.8 is something that especially appeals to me and the pricing looks really nice for a Zeiss.

These will be absolutely lovely updates for sure - when I first saw them I found myself wishing that they had made the 85 a 1.4 or even a Canon 85 1.2 equivalent. Sonnar design should give lovely smooth bokeh. I wonder how it will optically compare with the A-mount 85 1.4 planar?
    Personally I don't subscribe to mirrorless being all about size - for me, mirrorless is all about the technology and a starting point that is smaller than an equivalent DSLR but one that you can build up to be as big as a DSLR if you so want, so a slightly bigger lens would not have bothered me one bit. Still 1.8 is plenty fast for green screening your subject wide open at 85mm ;)

Around the same time we will also have access to this puppy...
    http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/firs...99-bit-a7-a7ii-and-a6000-usa-rebate-reminder/
    Nice time to be an E/FE shooter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. storyteller

Sep 25, 2011
    The issue there would be that DoF changes slightly between different sensor sizes so the lens CPU would have to know what type of camera it is attached to if it is making the calculations.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. DigitalD

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    And SAR also just noticed and posted about the 56MP image and its possible origins: http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-did-zeiss-just-leak-the-sony-a7rii-with-56-megapixel-sensor/

Interesting.... As a close Sony imaging partner, it would make sense that Zeiss would have access to prototype Sony cameras.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. DigitalD

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    My bet is on it was taken by the Pro A9 prototype and not the A7RII. I pretty much expect that they are keeping the same sensor on the A7rII or close to it as they did for the A7II and as well as Olympus did with the Em5II. Which personally I am fine with because it will keep the price down because tech gets cheaper the more its used/placed in products. It would be smarter to reserve the 50+ sensor for the pro model as they will have to charge quite a bit more for it and Im sure they would not want to lose their marketing foothold in the 'inexpensive' FF camera category.

However being wrong in this case would be awesome... :p

17. metalmania

metalmania TalkEmount Regular

Dec 3, 2014
    USA
    Just saw the CZ flickr. The 85/1.8 sample photos are great, however it looks like their camera missed focus on the little girl pictures.

• Like Like x 1
  18. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    Actually there is a much better explanation of the 59mp resolution in the SAR comments. The resolution was 8910 x 6300. This isnt a 3:2 sensor aspect ratio it is 1/square root of 2 aspect. That is the aspect ratio of the A series of papers (it is a very efficient ratio). So in all likelihood that photo was uprezzed to print on paper (most likely A0) where the resolution would then be 190pixels/inch.

• Like Like x 1
  19. tomO2013

tomO2013 TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 11, 2014
    Or it could also be the rumored sensor shift firmware update - although I would be genuinely shocked to see a sensor shift solution working so well with portraiture. Typically it only works for static subjects in a studio.
    I think robbie's answer is the most plausible.