Showcase Zeiss Batis 85mm f/1.8

Discussion in 'Native Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by serhan, Jul 25, 2015.

1. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    No posts yet, so I am starting with the Cat photos:)

original.

original.

original.
    just yawning:)
    original.

original.

original.

original.

And some orchid shots, f1.8, f4.5, f5.6
    original.

original.

original.

And a few clouds shot thru the windows with double glass...
    original.

original.

original.

original.

@f2
    original.

original.

Finally bokeh balls...
    original.

original.

In comparison original Contarex 85mm f2 Sonnar is softer, but has better bokeh geometry:
    Showcase - Contarex Carl Zeiss Sonnar 85mm f2

2 reviews of the lens with more portrait shots and info like af, how the OLED screen works:
    Portrait Perfection – The Zeiss Batis 85mm f/1.8 review
    ZEISS Batis 1.8/85 and Batis 2/25 - *** Update 2 ***

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    • Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Wow amazing results!!! Thanks for sharing ;)

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. tomO2013

tomO2013 TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 11, 2014
    This is an amazing lens.

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Beautiful, @serhan@serhan - would love to see some more!

5. tomO2013

Dec 11, 2014
    Don't show me these....

I'm seriously considering consolidating and simplifying my kit. Acquiring the batii would be part of the plan... by getting more lenses!

6. Lucille

Lucille TalkEmount Veteran

May 22, 2013
    Somebody please find me a copy of this or the 25mm.

7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
  8. Lucille

May 22, 2013
    Gee thanks bro.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Alex66

Alex66 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2014
    I went to order the 85mm today and was told not likely to arrive this year :(, well atlas its seeming great success gives Zeiss a good reason to expand the line with more lenses that we can't buy. Why oh why did I just not pre order when it was first available, will know better next time hopefully a 135mm f2 or faster.

10. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
  11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    @serhan@serhan - you're holding back on us. More 85mm Batis images please!

12. tomO2013

Dec 11, 2014
    My first one ... taken today. This dude rocked up as I was mounting the lens to take the first shot.
    Lighting was really crappy typical flourescant in store type. He was standing right in front of a number of boxes. I opened it right up to see how it does at obliterating the background. Normally I would shoot more stopped down but wide open this baby performs!

I'm taking this, FE35 1.4 , 55 1.8 and the FE90 to a wedding tomorrow. I'll share some pics. Hoping to see how this does relative to the FE90 :D
    So far it has a completely different rendering.

21717784129_176e139ebe_c.
    Gritty
    by tom.ohle, on Flickr

• Like Like x 6
  13. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    I have always some more cat shots:) I have not used it much on vacation, 5 days of traveling in 2 weeks of time and then got flu from the plane. 55mm was used more on vacation with a few portrait shots and 15mm/25mm and 25-300mm on my last few days in Istanbul which I should work on them...

I used Batis 85mm last Sunday at a farm that we were visiting:

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. tomO2013

Dec 11, 2014
    Batis has amazing colours out of the gate. Amazing lens

• Like Like x 1
  15. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Yes, great colors out of camera+lens combo. I used the jpgs except images 1,2, 8, & 9 where whites were blown out due to contrast...

16. Lucille

May 22, 2013
    This is no fair.... everybody has a Batis except the poor little ol Hepkitty. Sniff.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. tomO2013

Dec 11, 2014
    I've heard that the 25 batis' will be more readily available in November/December time frame.

My local camera store only got the one in for the entire province right now with many many back orders. On dpreview there was a comment from another individual that was told from his retailer that they expect to only get a trickle in for back orders between now and year end. Apparently Zeiss screwed up the supply VS demand expectations for the 85. It's a bit of a disaster from Zeiss' perspective. If Sony 85 1.4G is release before they can get more out of the Zeiss factory it would be another interesting option. Also of interest.... for those low light shooter the batis looks to have a true T stop of 1.8! So perhaps 1/3 t stop offered between this and many other good f1.4 pro lenses.
    Weather sealing on these is exceptional.

I shot a part of a wedding today with the Batis 85 and 90FE. Really interesting. I would describe the 90mm as having an almost Sigma Art type of rendering as if Sigma had designed it! Extremely precise (beautiful sharp across the frame with a very fast fall off). The Batis is also exceptionally sharp (a different sharpness if that makes sense that is still possibly too sharp for portraiture, but more flattering in fall off, different colour signature and bokeh. A very different character to its rendering. For what I was shooting today I found the Batis very handy and I think it works better for portraiture.

• Informative Informative x 2
  18. tomO2013

Dec 11, 2014
    • Like Like x 11
  19. Dirtistasty2

Dirtistasty2 TalkEmount Regular

Apr 10, 2015
    ah, so good. Now to choose... which Batis to buy~!

20. tomO2013

Dec 11, 2014
    Both are amazing! All depends on what you shoot.
    The batis 25 has turned out to be the big surprise for me. Thought I would like it, but man do I love it!
    The 85 is great - I guess I was expecting that from all the mini Otus comments before it was even in reviewers hands.
    I just was not expecting to have a wide angle that is so distortion free and sharp across the frame wide open at F2. Couple with a crazy close minimum focus distance it allows for some really cool and creative shots. I'd probably still get the 85 first as portraiture is my main interest - but the 25 is special, make no mistake and worth every penny.