Zeiss Batis 40mm f2

christilou

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Christina
I've been thinking about this lens as it supposedly has fast af and could be the answer between a 35mm and 55mm lens in that it would be a good general purpose walk around for the A7RIII. It doesn't do well with eye af but an update has been promised. What do you think?

addieleman

Passionate amateur
Real Name
Ad Dieleman
I love 40mm as a general-purpose focal length and I use the manual-focus Voigtländer FE 1.2/40 a lot. So it seems only natural that I'd spring for the Batis 2/40. Its strong points are excellent image quality even wide-open, little purple fringing and LoCA ("bokeh fringing") and low weight. What's keeping me from trying it so far, is its fairly big size, the eye AF problem and the fact that I already have the FE 2.8/35; the last reason only pertains to my situation of course. It helps that the FE 2.8/35's focal length is more like 37mm, that it's excellent wide-open and light, small and thus unobtrusive; its diminutive lens hood helps a lot in keeping it inconspicuous.

I once tried a Batis 1.8/85 on a fair and I didn't entirely like the autofocus behaviour, it just wasn't as smooth and reassuring as I am accustomed to from my Sony lenses. That leads me to believe (with admittedly little real data as proof) that Zeiss isn't quite up there yet to get the same autofocus performance as Sony does with its native lenses. I'd like to be proven wrong BTW.

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
As to focal length, I have become very fond of 40mm (also have the Voigtländer). For me, I always found 50mm a little constricting but 35mm a little too wide for many applications. The 40mm is just right to me.

If you rely on Eye AF, I would probably wait for the updated firmware.

christilou

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Christina
It arrived today but it's been rather grey here so mostly high iso but anyway I've fired off a few hundred frames for fun:)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Eye focus seems to work just fine and it's nice to be able to get some close ups. I would say the focus is fairly snappy when compared to the FE55 1.8. I like it.

Biro

TalkEmount Regular
I've read that the 40mm f/2 Batis stops down automatically at least to f/2.8 in close-focus situations. Is this true?

christilou

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Christina

Three snaps from this morning. I used A priority, f2 and put the close up limiter on. LR says f2 but it will be interesting to see what the exif here says. They said it doesn't do eye focus either but clearly it does. I had a reasonable hit rating using it on Lucy who is a tricky subject at the best of times!

NickCyprus

Super Moderator
Real Name
Nick
It arrived today but it's been rather grey here so mostly high iso but anyway I've fired off a few hundred frames for fun:)

View attachment 98428

View attachment 98429

View attachment 98430

View attachment 98431

View attachment 98432

View attachment 98433

View attachment 98434

View attachment 98435

View attachment 98436

Eye focus seems to work just fine and it's nice to be able to get some close ups. I would say the focus is fairly snappy when compared to the FE55 1.8. I like it.
Wow, beautiful! You have such an artistic "eye" and the post processing rocks! You should shoot weddings ala journalistic style

christilou

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Christina

A7RIII Batis 40mm I like the skin tones from this lens much better than the Sony Zeiss lenses.

addieleman

Passionate amateur
Real Name
Ad Dieleman
A7RIII Batis 40mm – I like the skin tones from this lens much better than the Sony Zeiss lenses.
I'd get an X-rite Colorchecker Passport to profile the camera-lens combo and see if the Sony/Zeiss lenses' skin-tones rendition improves. Costs money (~ € 100), but worth a shot IMHO because you already own quite some Sony/Zeiss glass.

Xterra

TalkEmount Regular
I'm actually switching from my Sonnar 35/f2.8 to the 40mm Batis also because its weather sealing and has better more suitable focal length for me to do food photography when roaming food markets / food stalls. At F/2 it produces GREAT Bokeh :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom