Zeiss Batis 25mm, worth a try???

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Kiwi Paul, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    I'm contemplating getting the Batis 25mm, there is a used one on offer in mint cond and they rarely come up used, the price is reasonable and a lot cheaper than the new price thus my temptation.
    I've read lots of reviews on it and they are extremely complimentary, positive reviews with the only slight negative issue being CA's that are a little worse than I'd like but should be correctable in post.
    I've got the lovely "little" Sony 28 f2.0 already, its small size, light weight and very good IQ don't leave me wanting for much, but I'd prefer a 24 - 25mm lens and the Zeiss lens is meant to have that special character.
    My intention would be to sell the 28 if I get the 25, (but well, hmmm, time will tell).

Anyone have any thoughts on whether I'm just throwing away money or if I'm going to lurve the Batis and have no regrets?

2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I suppose the Batis 25mm will give you better contrast and colour than the Sony FE 2/28mm which I found dull when I tested it. At landscape apertures like f/8 I doubt if you're going to see a lot of difference between the Batis 25mm and the FE 4/16-35 at 25mm. I know this nagging, scratching itch in my brain all too well; I'd say go for it and sell it or anything else if you're done with it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Kiwi Paul

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    Yes that's how I see it, I can try it and always sell it, any money I lose in the transaction can just be put down to rental but buying used so hopefully any losses would minimal.

4. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    If it was me, I'd ask myself how the Batis 25 is going to be used. Landscapes? Already have the FE16-35/4, and not a lot of difference in IQ. Street/candids? Already have the FE28/2. Unless of course one wants to go all primes (since you already have the CV10 and 15), the Batis 25 would be a good addition. If the Batis 25 was added to the lens collection, wouldn't that make the FE16-35/4 almost redundant? I say "almost" because the 16-35 would make a great travel lens, multi purpose and all that.

Sorry to be slightly off topic, but here's my lens journey since I got my A7Rii 15 months ago. About 6 months ago I sold my FE16-35, for two reasons. I didn't like it at the longer end (the IQ wasn't so satisfying), and secondly I noticed that in my landscape shots, my favoured FL is around the 19-21mm region. Hence my purchase of the Sigma Art 35 and Sigma Art 20. I do from time to time miss the wider 16mm FL, which I'm sure I'll buy when funds are available. Although I'm also itching for the Loxia 21.

I've gotten rid of my FE28/2, 55/1.8, Loxia 35 and FE16-35/4. These are all covered by my Sigma 20 and 35 Art, and an old Minolta MC Rokkor 50/1.4 which doubles as my close up lens with the aid of extension tubes.

Such is life :doh:

My 2p worth..

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kiwi Paul

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    Thanks for your thoughts Mus.
    I have a set of zooms (16-35, 24-70 and 70-300) that I use when I'm out in zoom mode and a set of primes (10,15, 28,35,55,90) that I use when I'm in prime mode. I enjoy using zooms sometimes but other times like to just take primes, depending where I'm going and how my mood takes me. Sometimes I'll just take 3 primes in a smallish shoulder bag (i.e. 15,28,55 or 28,55, 90 etc) so I like to keep the versatility. The 28 is a bit too far from the 15 and a bit too close to the 35 for my liking so a 24 - 25mm lens would be ideal thus my interest in getting the 25 Batis (it's the only native E mount 24 / 25mm lens for full frame), particularly now there is a mint used one for a reasonable price, but I'll need to make up my mind ASAP or it may sell.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mus Aziz

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    Decisions...decisions :D. Used in mint condition and a reasonable price...what's not to like! All the best mate.

• Like Like x 1
  7. firemist

firemist TalkEmount Regular

Dec 4, 2015
    Well I sold my 28 and bought a used B25 (from B&H) and it is now my most used lens. I shoot probably 80% with the B25. I use DXO OP11 to develop the raw files and do the optical corrections etc.

• Like Like x 1
  8. doublezd

doublezd TalkEmount Regular Subscribing Member

Aug 21, 2015
    I love my Batis 25 -- it basically lives on my camera. I did have the 16-35 f4 but found the Batis beats it in IQ by quite a lot. I shoot exterior and interior landscapes and have even used it for street (when it was the only lens I had with me). Highly recommend this lens.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Andromeda143

Andromeda143 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 19, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia
    Clive Dickinson
    I have just purchased a secondhand Batis 25mm f/2. Up till now I have been using a Minolta 24mm f/2.8 and found that I was using it for about 70% of my photos (I do not use zooms much). These photos may help you to decide about the Batis. The Minolta ones were taken a while ago so the book case is not the same as it was then. However, the settings were roughly equivalent and give some comparison between the two lenses.

DSC04932. Minolta at f/2.8
    DSC04938. Minolta at f/5.6
    DSC09133. Batis at f/2
    DSC09136. Batis at f/2.8
    DSC09142.
    Batis at f/5.6

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  10. rayvonn

rayvonn TalkEmount Regular

Jan 3, 2016
    I must admit, my attention was drawn to the Minolta.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Kiwi Paul

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    Well I bought it :rolleyes::D
    Get it tomorrow:2thumbs:

• Like Like x 4
  12. Mus Aziz

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    I KNEW it......:daz:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Kiwi Paul

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    Yes I'm quite predicable at times :D

• Like Like x 1
  14. Kiwi Paul

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    It's a lovely lens, nice build quality and design, the photos I've taken so far are absolutely fine but I'm not blown away by it, not really seeing that Zeiss magic people seem to go on about.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Mus Aziz

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    :speechless:

16. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    What if the "Zeiss magic" is something elusive? I have a bunch of Zeiss-designed lenses and they just take good pictures. Although I have to say, that Loxia 21mm is something else, but magic? I dunno...

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Kiwi Paul

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    Yes I need to take more photos with it, I think its qualities are more subtle, don't get me wrong, the photos I've taken are fine but maybe after reading all the reviews etc I was expecting to be blown away by it.

18. rayvonn

rayvonn TalkEmount Regular

Jan 3, 2016
    I wonder if it's manual focusing and exposure locking that creates the "magic"?

19. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I've read some think the Zeiss magic is based on microcontrast, which is rather ill-defined. Zeiss images do seem to have a little something to me. I only have a couple of Contax G lenses and a Zony 35/2.8 I just received, so not a lot to go on. They are certainly technically excellent, and maybe just being top notch is what is perceived as the "look".

20. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    I used a Leica camera and Leica lenses for a few years. So I often heard about the Leica magic or the Leica look. After taking the same picture with both Leica and other brand lenses of the same focal length and at the same aperture, then comparing the results and asking others to compare the results, I came the the conclusion that neither I nor anyone else in my family is worthy. It may be some kind of genetic flaw, I suppose. If we randomly mixed the images and showed them to each other (not quite "double blind," I know, but how blind should people be when they are evaluating images?), none of us could tell which image came from which lens. And (horror!) sometimes we preferred the image from the non-Leica lens, sad but true.

Some people are simply unable to see the magic. It has freed me somewhat to enjoy just taking pictures that I like.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3