1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Showcase Zeiss Batis 25mm f/2

Discussion in 'Native Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by serhan, Jul 25, 2015.

Tags:
  1. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    • Like Like x 5
  2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    #2 looks incredibly nice, if you did only regular processing in Lightroom I'd almost consider to get this lens just for the colors and contrast.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Thanks. Yes, it is regular LR processing. I see that I added graduated filter at the sky to pull the whites, but other then that it might the softer light at that time of the day before the sun set...

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Sure looks like a winner, Serhan. Thanks for sharing these!

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. dmward

dmward TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    This was shot while walking around my backyard doing some test shooting with the Batis 25mm.
    The gallery also has versions shot at F4 and F5.6 of essentially the same view.
    The gallery also has some other shots in the yard. I also went to the lake shore nearby and made a shot with the lens autofocusing on the horizon line.

The link to the gallery is: http://davidmward.photography/galler...Projects/25mm/

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  6. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    I like the idea of the OLED screen lens, that is super cool.

But other than that, seems like there isn't a whole lot to justify the price of this 25mm Batis. The Sony 28 costs less than half as much

7. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    From the samples I see on the internet I have a different opinion. The Sony 28/2 needs f/8 to f/11 to really sharpen up in the corners and pictures with this lens can look very dull. The Batis OTOH is exceedingly sharp wide-open and seems to have vivid contrast and colors. If I were in the market for a wide-angle prime I'd save up for the Batis 25/2.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. dmward

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    I have 3 prime lenses between 24mm and 28mm that will fit my A7II; Sony 28/2.0, Ziess 25/2.0 and Canon 24 F1.4L.

I took them out into the backyard and made a series of exposures, from wide open to minimum aperture. With the two E mount lenses I let them find focus using the center focus bracket for each shot. Interestingly, with both E mount lenses, from about F11 to F22 the LCD screen image would pulse when the lens was focusing. Then make the exposure, apparently without a problem. The Canon 24mm L was mounted on a Fotodiox adapter and manual focused at the same center area. I used the greatest focus assist magnification. I did not change focus from shot-to-shot.

Here are full sized JPGs from the camera.
    Apparently this forum software will accept the full sized image. Feel free to download the JPGs for to look at them more closely on your computer.

Will be interesting to hear what people think.

This one is the Zeiss 25/2.0 at F2. Camera was on a tripod, cable release with Av set and ISO 400. (EXIF is embedded in each image.)

[​IMG]

This is the 28/2.0 Sony lens at F2. All camera settings remain the same throughout.

[​IMG]

Canon 24 F1.4L at F1.4.

[​IMG]

And finally, Canon 24 F1.4L at F2.0 for direct comparison with the two E mount lenses.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  9. dmward

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    The OLED only functions in MF mode, which is good, but not something that I rely on that much.
    The 25mm lens is nearly a 24mm compared to a 28mm. That's about 7.5 degrees wider angle-of-view.

I have the 28mm Sony and its a nice lens. As you can see from the comparison shots in the post above, its hard to tell them apart at F2 unless one is really pixel peeping.

I don't have a 35 or 50. When I was shooting with a Leica and film I used a 35mm as a "normal" lens. That suggests that I should look at the 35 1.4 Sony and sell the 28.

10. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    I agree they are not the same, but they are pretty comparable. I personally wouldn't want to own both? But having said that I think I do prefer 24mm to 28mm. o_O

It does have that vividness and contrast to it, for sure.

Contraversial statement though! Provided you are going to to do some post production, you might be just as well off with the duller RAW file. It's relatively easy to add contrast and pop to a photo, harder to take it away.

11. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Much sharper corners and more vibrant colors from the zeiss 25 at f/2 as shown on the above example!

• Like Like x 1
  12. dmward

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    Out this morning looking for some more interesting scenes to shot.

Here are two.
    These have been processed in Lightroom. Exposure, Highlight, Shadow, White point, Black point, Clarity, Kodachrome preset, Radial Filter for some edge burning, and sharpening.

The first:

This was in a Cook County Forest Preserve Park. Its about as close to wilderness as one can get within a couple miles of my house. :)
    I was looking for a scene where I could focus at infinity. The focus point is the tree trunk in the middle of the frame. Its at infinity focus. The breech tree trunk exits the frame on the left quite close to the camera position.

[​IMG]

The second:

This is a early settler's cabin that was moved from its original site and preserved in a village park.

Similar processing in Lightroom.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  13. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    That looks extremely good. In the first one I see some purple fringing at the left edge and upper corner but the whole image looks wonderfully crisp and vivid, as does the second one.

14. dmward

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    Ad,
    The CA was ticked in the lens correction module.

Needed a bit of eye dropper action to get rid of the purple.

Here:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    2 image pano, 41.5MP:)

original.

• Like Like x 5
  16. dmward

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    Found a benefit offered by the OLED screen last night.
    There was a lighting show over Lake Michigan. I grabbed a tripod, my A72 and the 25/2 Batis. One thing that motivated the Batis choice was to see if the OLED would help with manual focus at infinity to get sharpness in the clouds on the horizon.

It worked a charm.

Here is an example:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. tomO2013

tomO2013 TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 11, 2014
    Spent today shooting the batis 25. I'll share some images tomorrow.
    I was really surprised. I had not heard too much about though was the batis 25.
    The big surprise for me has been seeing just how good the batis 25 actually is.
    It's a fire cracker of a lens. The FE28 is already a great little lens and the closest native FE in focal length to the batis 25 to compare with - I like the FE28 but don't love it as others do beyond the price/performance sweetspot.
    I've done some side by sides with the FE28 - the Batis has got a very different colour signature that I prefer and takes the IQ up to another level as it's price tag should imply. It's got a closer MFD which allows for some very creative shots. To my eyes the FOV uncorrected look to be closer between the FE28 and batis 25 than their respective focal lengths would suggest. I suspect that the FE28 is actually wider than 28mm to counter the heavy distortion with cropping via the lens software correction.
    Regardless both are excellent lenses with very different, but I suspect that these two are the ones that will be compared most :).

To put it into micro four thirds terms... I feel that the FE28mm is to the Oly 45mm equivalent and the Batis 25 is to the Nocticron in terms of image quality. Lots of small subtle differences that add up to an overall noticeably better image from the Batis. Also worth noting is that the colour signature from both Batii are different from the Sony-Zeiss FE35's or FE55 collaborations.

Regarding sharpness (which is certainly not the be all and end all of amazing glass) , I feel that the batis is noticeably sharper across the majority of the frame and probably at least as sharp as the FE28 in the center. It looks to have a much much flatter plane of focus which ties in with the MTF's. Strangely there's very little distortion for what you would expect in such a wide lens. Unfortunately I've found that on the A7ii I got a bit of moire today, so I suspect that the glass is actually significantly out-resolving the sensor. You would probably need an a7rii to get the best out of it.
    Just my initial 0.02.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. christilou

christilou TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    Does anyone know how this compares with the Zeiss M fit 25mm 2.8 ?

19. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. zeth

zeth TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 11, 2015
    ZR Li