Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO-Sonnar

chalkdust

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Bert Cheney
First, let's look at size. Here are all of my E mount lenses. They are all full frame. I use them on my A7ii.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The Batis 135mm is a little longer than the CV 65mm APO_Lanthar. The Batis is also just a little bit LIGHTER in weight than the 65mm. The Batis 135mm balances nicely on the camera giving telephoto perspective without looking like a massive telephoto lens.

It is taking me some time to get used to the 135mm perspective. Here is my back yard with the 25mm perspective.

Here is how I can visualize the 135mm perspective:

Thumb-width at arm-length:

To be completely accurate, I would need a a longer thumb or shorter arm. But what I have helps me understand effectively what this lens will record out of my whole visual field.

I intend to use this lens for travel photography, so its relatively light weight and small size are real advantages. Generally, for travel, the 70-200 G f/4 stays at home. This is the gap I was trying to fill.

Last edited:

chalkdust

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Bert Cheney
Next, let's consider focus. I do not generally use auto focus on my 40mm Heliar with the TAP, but I could. But I don't. So I have not developed any good auto focus skills. The early shots of flowers from the 135mm APO-Sonnar were not critically sharp using manual focus. I blame the wind. SO I watched many videos about auto focus and set up my camera the way probably everyone else already knows. I find that I like AF-C with that expandable area thing.
Here are two flower close-ups at f/2.8 using AF.

Note: at f/2.8 a 135mm lens DOF is THIN like paper thin almost. This is where continuous AF come in so handy.
But. I still like manual focus for things that stand still and do not get blown by wind...like statues (f/2.8 manual focus):

Vignette:
Here is a pointless across the street shot that shows how little vignette this lens gives at f/2.8. I like that characteristic of this lens.

chalkdust

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Bert Cheney
But how does it handle light? I am finding that it certainly out-resolves my 24MP sensor. So it gives me no issues with sharpness. And it resists flare and weird colors around high contrast with real precision. It gives me an image file that is easy to work with. Here are a few examples.

I took a picture of the entire locomotive, but I had to walk away from the locomotive to do it. No, further away. No I mean across the street and into that field. But at nearer, human distance, I get something like this. I like all of that information in the shadows. This was at f/2.8.

Here is another f/2.8 that shows how it handles bright shiny:

And f/2.8 showing both resolution and a bit of bokeh:

OK, now about that chromatic aberration...The focus is on the 5th spout back. No odd colors in front and no odd colors behind at f/2.8:

For fun, let's switch to AF a catch a bird at f/2.8. This one is cropped a little, not cropped much.

In this one, there were so many ways that flare or chromatic aberration could show up. But nope. Just a nice clean image for me.

And yes, where I live it is often windy enough to blow the hair and skirt of a statue.

So I am finding this APO-Sonnar f/2.8 lens to be dependable. I think that is the word for it. That should come in handy for travel, where I often have no control over the circumstances of the image.

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
Thanks for sharing your experience on this lens, Bert.

And yes, where I live it is often windy enough to blow the hair and skirt of a statue.
:rofl:

I can soooo relate to that, lol.

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
Very clean imaging wide open. The fringing and aberrations are very well controlled. Like the Zeiss color rendering.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom