Showcase Zeiss 50mm f/1.8 Ultron (Carl Zeiss)

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by newst, Feb 9, 2018.

1. newst

newst TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 20, 2014
    Troy, MI
    Steve New
    Originally a Voigtlander design by Dr. Tronnier, issued as a 2.0/50 lens for their Prominent camera, this lens was re-branded by Zeiss after they acquired Voigtlander and marketed in both Ikarex and M42 mount.

The first two versions of this lens, the Pominent and Ikarex versions, had a concave front element. Voigtlander later marketed a third version of the lens, the Color-Ultron, with a convex front element.

A7II Ultron.
    2018-02-08 THV A7II Zeiss Ultron 50-18 DSC06794 01.
    2018-02-08 THV A7II Zeiss Ultron 50-18 DSC06795 01.
    2018-02-08 THV A7II Zeiss Ultron 50-18 DSC06796 01.
    2018-02-08 THV A7II Zeiss Ultron 50-18 DSC06798 01.
    All but the camera image were taken with an A7II.

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    WOW! Those are amazing images. The basket blows me away (American expression for extreme approval). What a cool lens. I really like the clarity. And maybe it is the transition from focus to out of focus that is captivating - not sure, really. But I really like this lens.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Special rendering indeed, beautiful. I really like the last image, great atmosphere of yesteryear. Geez, I already have a Loxia 2/50 but this... hmm.

4. newst

newst TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 20, 2014
    Troy, MI
    Steve New
    Thank you. I really love this lens. I bought an Ikarex mount copy but ended up selling it off again. All of the adapters available then for E Mount were built 'thick' to take advantage of the early NEX metal+plastic lens mounting plate. They wouldn't fit on the A7, and that lens begs for a full frame camera. I have held off since because the M42 version, here in the US, sells for twice the price of the Icarex mount ($800 v/s $400). Then a couple weeks ago I accidentally ran into this lens freshly listed on Ebay at a $399 Buy it Now price and free shipping. My conscious brain didn't re-engage until after I hit the pay button on Paypal but I am happy.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. newst

newst TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 20, 2014
    Troy, MI
    Steve New
    From what I have read this lens was considered the finest 50mm SLR lens of its time. I wasn't involved in photography back then (I was in high school) so really can't speak to whether it received such acclaim but it sure deserved to. I don't know how to describe the way this lens paints an image but it is both beautiful and unique.

6. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Love how it renders the OOF areas....painting like quality.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. newst

newst TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 20, 2014
    Troy, MI
    Steve New
    Yes, the bokeh is lovely. It is far better than any other normal lens I have used.

8. sam

sam TalkEmount Regular

Nov 23, 2015
    Ontario
    sam_men
    The lens and camera handle the window lighting perfectly.

9. newst

newst TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 20, 2014
    Troy, MI
    Steve New
    I think so too. It is going to be difficult for me to take this lens off the A7II. I guess I will be changing lenses on the A6500 even more often than I do now.