Showcase Zeiss 50mm f/1.8 Ultron (Carl Zeiss)

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by newst, Feb 9, 2018.

1. newst

newst TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 20, 2014
    Troy, MI
    Steve New
    Originally a Voigtlander design by Dr. Tronnier, issued as a 2.0/50 lens for their Prominent camera, this lens was re-branded by Zeiss after they acquired Voigtlander and marketed in both Ikarex and M42 mount.

The first two versions of this lens, the Pominent and Ikarex versions, had a concave front element. Voigtlander later marketed a third version of the lens, the Color-Ultron, with a convex front element.

A7II Ultron.jpg
    2018-02-08 THV A7II Zeiss Ultron 50-18 DSC06794 01.jpg
    2018-02-08 THV A7II Zeiss Ultron 50-18 DSC06795 01.jpg
    2018-02-08 THV A7II Zeiss Ultron 50-18 DSC06796 01.jpg
    2018-02-08 THV A7II Zeiss Ultron 50-18 DSC06798 01.jpg
    All but the camera image were taken with an A7II.

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    WOW! Those are amazing images. The basket blows me away (American expression for extreme approval). What a cool lens. I really like the clarity. And maybe it is the transition from focus to out of focus that is captivating - not sure, really. But I really like this lens.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Special rendering indeed, beautiful. I really like the last image, great atmosphere of yesteryear. Geez, I already have a Loxia 2/50 but this... hmm.

4. newst

newst TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 20, 2014
    Troy, MI
    Steve New
    Thank you. I really love this lens. I bought an Ikarex mount copy but ended up selling it off again. All of the adapters available then for E Mount were built 'thick' to take advantage of the early NEX metal+plastic lens mounting plate. They wouldn't fit on the A7, and that lens begs for a full frame camera. I have held off since because the M42 version, here in the US, sells for twice the price of the Icarex mount ($800 v/s $400). Then a couple weeks ago I accidentally ran into this lens freshly listed on Ebay at a $399 Buy it Now price and free shipping. My conscious brain didn't re-engage until after I hit the pay button on Paypal but I am happy.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. newst

newst TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 20, 2014
    Troy, MI
    Steve New
    From what I have read this lens was considered the finest 50mm SLR lens of its time. I wasn't involved in photography back then (I was in high school) so really can't speak to whether it received such acclaim but it sure deserved to. I don't know how to describe the way this lens paints an image but it is both beautiful and unique.

6. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Love how it renders the OOF areas....painting like quality.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. newst

newst TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 20, 2014
    Troy, MI
    Steve New
    Yes, the bokeh is lovely. It is far better than any other normal lens I have used.

8. sam

sam TalkEmount Regular

Nov 23, 2015
    Ontario
    sam_men
    The lens and camera handle the window lighting perfectly.

9. newst

newst TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 20, 2014
    Troy, MI
    Steve New
    I think so too. It is going to be difficult for me to take this lens off the A7II. I guess I will be changing lenses on the A6500 even more often than I do now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.