Zeiss 24mm

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Rich, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    Finally plucked up courage and ordered the CZ 24mm, collecting next Monday.

Hope I'm not going to regret this!

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Nope, you won't. It shot more than 12.000 photos for me, and didn't let me down a single time.

3. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    Reassuring Poki, thanks for that.

4. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I don't know what gear you have right now, but assuming you "only" got cheap kit lenses and old plastic ones, the Zeiss will inspire you to shoot. I don't know why exactly this is so (but I'm obviously not alone with this opinion).

Whatever, just keep shooting and keep having fun! It most definitely was the right choice.

5. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    +1 for Sony CZ 24mm. I just think it might be the best mirrorless lens available.

• Like Like x 1
  6. PhotoRob

PhotoRob TalkEmount Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Robert
    Great lens, look foward to your feedback / seeing those pics...

7. demiro

demiro TalkEmount Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    I'd really appreciate if you guys could start lying about the CZ 24mm. I really don't want to be more tempted. Thanks!

8. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Price keeps me from being tempted....lol....looks like a wonderful lens though. I hope someday I can have the privilege of owning a highend lens.

9. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Definitely more than I've been accustomed to paying for a prime, but it delivers. Congratulations! :)

10. alterstill

alterstill TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 27, 2013
    Aberdeen
    Wlod
    Not sure if this will stop you buying one, but... :D

Does your lens get easily scratched?
    I generally look after my gear but since Zeiss is made of metal rather than plastic (like other Sony lenses) there is tiny bit of paint missing (2-3mm on front edge of the barrel). It affects my (not the lens) performance greatly. I can hardly see it but I know it's there :D.

11. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Well, my 24mm CZ lens got a fair amount of wear and tear over the past 13 months.. It still looks okay, but not 'like new' - and I like it! It reminds me on all the things I've gone through with this lens, on all the sunny, rainy, cloudy days, on all the cold, dark nights and on all the things I've learned during this year.

A camera is a tool, just as a lens is a tool. And if you can see it was used, well, that's just how it's supposed to be.

12. Derichuk

Derichuk TalkEmount Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Deric
    Well, i sprung for one and it has been my primary lens except for vacation when i couldnt bear to bring it. But thats what the sigma 30 and kit lens are for. :)

13. demiro

demiro TalkEmount Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Nice try, but that sort of cosmetic stuff does not deter me.

14. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    Fairly encouraging replies here, thank you all.

Not too worried about wear and tear on gear, its inevitable after all, or should be if the piece is getting used to the max.

I'm looking forward to trying it. If it, and the new Sigma 60 live up to expectations, I think this might signal the end of Fuji X fully and finally for me.

15. BruPri

BruPri TalkEmount Regular

Aug 7, 2011
    Well, I shot a bunch with the Leitz Elmarit-M 28 2.8/NEX-7, and have come to the conclusion that the coolest thing about that piece is how it looked on the camera!
    It was fun to focus and shoot with but... the images, all RAW, seemed to have no pop, micro-contrast and were just plain not doing it for me, they seemed to all need doctoring up in LR. So I picked up the Sony/Zeiss 24 1.8 which I had for a short time previously, It's exactly what I was looking for, images (RAW) are great right out of the gate. Additionally I acquired a Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 wide angle lens which is great fun!

16. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Wow, I'm a bit surprised to hear that the Leica renderings seemed so flat. OTOH, Zeiss is known for their "3D" look and I do feel a subtle difference when I shoot it. If it seems expensive, just start comparing against Leica pricing and suddenly the SEL24 seems like a thrift store triumph! ;)

I found this comparison to be rather interesting:

Sony NEX-7 Rolling Review

17. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    Well, I actually bought the Zeiss this morning, but haven't had a chance to try it yet because of the weather, as usual!

Its looking better for tomorrow, so all being well I can give it a run then. Might get a walk in before the end of the day though, you never know. We British constantly live in hope of fine weather!

18. BruPri

BruPri TalkEmount Regular

Aug 7, 2011
    Could have been the particular lens, it was a Leitz made in Canada, not sure if that has anything to do with it, it seemed in good condition, just not the razor sharp, contrasty image the CZ gives.

19. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    Weather improved a little this afternoon so I ventured out and got a few shots. Nothing spectacular subject wise but at least I could make sure it was working properly.

Interesting, I put the pictures into Lightroom and was immediately transported back in time to when I used Hasselblad and Zeiss lenses with good old Fuji transparency film. Something I haven't seen for a long, long time.

Weather is supposed to be much better tomorrow, sunshine, and the temperature is supposed to be struggling up to about 3!

So, I should be able to give the lens a good testing. Looking at the few shots I got this afternoon, this lens obviously "kicks ass". Pardon the expression!

20. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    Collected the lens Monday morning and managed to give it a bit of tryout. Haven't posted pictures here before so, here goes, hope I get it right!

8551334264_fa4ef1273c_b.