• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Zeiss 24/1.8 - Would you buy for $999?

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Sony Alpha Rumors reported that this lens is going to cost $999 (rumor). Assuming acceptable size/weight and superior performance/build/AF speed, would you spend $999 for this lens?

No doubt this will be a great addition for the NEX system, but if priced at that level, there will certainly be room in the system for a more affordable alternative!

Travisennis

TalkEmount Veteran
Unfortunately I think if it is priced at $999 then it will be outside of my price range. It's a shame because if the rumors are true it sounds like it will be an amazing lens.

WT21

TalkEmount Top Veteran
A high quality lens will be bought by some, though, and it will give a nice aura effect to the rest of the NEX line. It better be staller though!

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Having owned a Zeiss ZF 35/2 and a Zeiss ZM 35/2 (both less expensive than the rumored price for this lens), I think it is really, really unlikely that Zeiss is going to screw up the performance on this lens :).

Simon Schofield

New to TalkEmount
I might be a beginner to photography etc, but a prime lens thats around 3 times the price of the body does seem a bit expensive. surely the market that the NEX 3/5 (and their newer versions) is aimed at, simply won't be interested in something so expensive. I guess its primarily aimed at the NEX 7 owners... I certainly won't be buying one, amazing as it sounds, the price isn't justifiable to me... :/

Melv

TalkEmount Regular
Rip off Britain alive and well

I have been doing some comparing and a few calculations. Rip off Britain is alive and well. I have looked on the US site BHP and found the NEX-7 body only for sale at about $1200 . In Britain the NEX-7 is on sale for £1000 (an equivalent price of $1627 !).

The CZ 24/1.8 lens is listed at BHP at $1000 (an equivalent of £614). However I have not seen the the lens on sale in the UK yet, but applying the ratio of $1200 to $1000 the lens in Britain would be £833, that is $1355 !

To recap, if you were to buy the body in Britain it would set you back $1627 and the lens $1355, and you in the US think you are paying too much!

Yes, I think £833 for the lens is too much and I will probably save for a manual focus CZ ZM lens which I could get cheaper even including an adaptor.

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
The answer is: No. I don't want a really big 24mm Zeiss with a good but not great max aperture of 1.8. I would rather invest in a Zeiss 35 f/1.4 or so, or in a cheap (250 euro) 24mm f/2.8 (or better) pancake, but this combination just isn't for me.

macjim

TalkEmount Regular
Nope; for a Leica lens, yes, but for a Zeiss lens- no.

Cheers, Macjim.

JJJPhoto

TalkEmount Regular
If it was $699 I would have already pre-ordered the lens. Unfortunately, at $999 I will wait to see if Sony or another lens maker offers a less expensive prime lens for the E-mount in the 24-30mm range with an aperture in the range of 1.8-2.8.

daremoshiranai

New to TalkEmount
No, I'd buy a Nikon/leica zeiss and adapt it. I'd at least have a better resale value if I got bored with it.

JJJPhoto

TalkEmount Regular
You guys think you can buy a new Leica lens with a f/1.4 aperture for $999?

Where?!? I'd love to get my hands on some new Leica lenses at that price.

The cheapest "fast" Leica lens that I can find is the 50mm f/2.5 Summarit priced at $1,395 as new ... and that's still a big difference between f/1.4 and f/2.5.

The Zeiss lens is "cheap" compared to a Leica lens.

The Leica-stamped Panasonic lenses and other third party lenses for the M-mount don't count.

macjim

TalkEmount Regular
You guys think you can buy a new Leica lens with a f/1.4 aperture for $999?

No, dinae be daft! What I meant was IF a Leica lens was available for that I'd pay up, but I wouldn't pay for a Zeiss lens. in other words, the Zeiss might be a good lens but it ain't worth £999.

Cheers, Macjim.

Latest threads

Top Bottom