1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

You're favorite few

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dixeyk, Nov 23, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I know that I'm a fine one to talk, I must have twenty adapted lenses clogging up my cabinet right now but I am finding that as of late that I am definitely finding that I have a few lenses that I am using regularly and very pleased with. As well as quite a number that seem to be getting less and less time on camera. What is most interesting to me is what lenses they are (or perhaps what lenses they are not).

My favorite lens right now is the Rokkor MD 35-70/3.5 macro. It really does live up to it's billing. It's not the sharpest or fastest lens that I have but with the added closeup ability it is definitely my most versatile. It is also very close to the sharpness of my primes between 35-50. I have also been shocked at how useful it has been in the dark rainy weather we have been having as of late and how well it has performed handheld at some ridiculously low shutter speeds. My second favorite is a toss up between my Rokkor MC 50/1.4 and Rokkor MC 50/1.7. They're both nice and I really couldn't say that I see that big a difference between them. I think the 50/1.4 might be a bit nice but just barely. If I had to pick I'd say the 50/1.4 if for no other reason that it is new old stock and in better shape. The final favorite lens is my Komine made Vivitar 28/2 close focus although it may lose it's crown to a Rokkor MC 24/2.8 I have coming.

Honorable mention goes to my Pen-F 40/1.4. I like the fact that I can close focus to about a foot and close focus ability is really something that I like in my lenses. I don't think the Pen 40 could knock off either of my Rokkor 50's IQ wise but it's close enough to keep around. I will say however I don't LOVE it. It has never let me down image wise but there is something about it I find less than satisfying. The biggest surprise to me was the fact that I didn't even consider my Jupiter-8, SMC Super Takumar 105/2.8, SMC Macro Takumar 50/4, Hexanon 50/1.4, 135/3.2 or 24/2.8. They're all fine lenses (a few of them exceptional) but I don't reach for them when I head out the door.

What are yours?

2. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    I join the good talk Kevin,my favorite lenses are far as my old Minolta Rokkor 50mm PG f/1.4 and Rokkor x 50mm F1.7 , as you mention, it not much difference between these two lenses, I like more the f/1.4, is faster and works very well, because my copy offers high contrast and great focus, I think both are very good but the f/1.7 I feel it's lighter.

I have also the Industar 69 28mm f/2.8, even though there is a great lens (not great quality as the Rokkor 50mm), is very compact and lightweight, it's my favorite because I modified to reach infinity focus, works very well for my shooting in B / W.

My other Industar 50 50mm f3.5, as I use it occasionally. About three weeks ago I bought the Vivitar MC 28mm f2.5 and I have only mounted 4 times in my nex, is one of my heavier lenses manuals, : (, the Olympus 28mm 3.5, I also like, damn I have had much work and didn't had the opportunity to go out and shoot with it, so now I'm waiting for my adapter arrives, the M42, to test the Yashinon 50mm DX 1,7, the Vivitar Auto Wide Angle 28mm f2.8 and Soligor Tele-Auto 200mm F3.5.

I'm thinking of selling the 18-55mm, it's brand new, now I have two of those, and I think with these manual lenses I don't need it.

3. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Freddy...I agree, I think the 50/1.4 has wonderful contrast and sharpness. I like Russian lenses. I have always had good results with lenses like the Industar 61, Jupiter 8 and Helios 44...I feel very fortunate as a NEX u see having so many nice options to choose from (and for very little money I might add). I suppose there are far worse (and more expensive) things to be addicted to.

4. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I definitely have a lens acquisition problem. ;)

The Micro-Nikkor 55mm & 105mm have become my workhorses. I audition other lenses for cataloging my vases, but I find the macros just seem to do the most faithful renderings. And if anything, they are TOO sharp - if I'm not careful, every blemish, speck of dust and fingerprint makes it into the shot.

For extra-wide coverage for landscapes, I like my old Tokina RMC 17mm. It's certainly not perfect in every way - somewhat low in contrast and very flare prone - but it's surprisingly sharp and clean in the corners when stopped down sufficiently (at least on the left edge).

And then there's the Canon FL 55/1.2. I got it at a thrift store for $40 but failed to spot a large fungus patch. Cost about $200 to get that cleared - no more bragging rights. But it was still worth it. I like the almost medium-format look you get with the super-shallow focus at 1.2. Stopped down, it's wonderfully sharp all across the frame. Canon wasn't fooling around.

Those are my favorite "few" for the moment. (I'm counting the Micro-Nikkor duo as one.) My top 3 is a dangerous place to be, though.

5. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I like this thread idea. I can't join yet as I don't have any manuals yet. I do have one waiting for me in Beijing and a few more in Canada but I won't be able to pick them up for a couple of months. The adaptors are waiting too. Frustrating.

Could you guys mention which NEX you are using them on? There maybe a difference in say Jeff's Tokina RMC 17mm on 5n or a 7 because of the different sensor especially with the wide angle lenses.

6. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Ouch Kevin, it's like asking a mother to pick which 3 of her 10 kids to save from a painful death, lol !!!
    I'm going to CHEAT to be able to answer your question, eh eh...
    If I had to stick to the 50ish focal length (50/55/58), I'd say my favorites are the Big Boy FL 55/1.2 (I've had other FD's or FL's, and Canon was indeed, NOT joking, optically all of them are excellent), and both Rokkors (I have MC 1.4 PG, and MD 1.7 cheapo plastic latest version). That's between the lenses I have in my possession NOW. Maybe a month ago I would have swapped the MD/1.7 to keep the OM 50/1.8 (very likely).
    Now, if I had to keep 3 ALL focal lengths together, that'd be even harder. I'd say PEN 38 (without a doubt), OM 100/2.8 (a very special piece of glass) and either the FL55 or MC50/1.4. It's just too hard to chose between those two. I'd give the edge to the FL for versatility and IQ, but the Rokkor is noticeably less large and bulky, and optically 98% as good. Both handle wonderfully anyway.

7. freddytto

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    I want to be cured of this disease,I forget to mentions my old Vivitar MC 55-210mm Macro, can not wait as I mentioned before my adapter M42 for my 3 lenses to test and maybe grab the Industar 61 L/D 50mm f/2.8

8. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Oh oh, are you sure you want to do this Colin?? Some say MF lenses on a NEX is a disease! :D

9. freddytto

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    you are right friend .... : O

10. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Like Claire I have come to a sort of balance. I buy, try stuff out and if I don't use it I sell it. Yu do build up quite a collections form time to time but over the past few years I have probably broken even money wise so it's a pretty cheap date as addictions go. On occasion you get a bad lens but overall it's a pretty low risk pursuit.

BTW...the images below are form the Rokkor 35-70/3.5 macro

8214705857_9e56905676_b.
    Games by dixeyk, on Flickr

8215791648_132630d581_b.
    Pearls by dixeyk, on Flickr

11. markoneswift

markoneswift TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 17, 2012
    Good thread - I ONLY have manual lenses for my NEX as I bought the body only and I'm too poor to afford the E mount stuff. My fave manual lens in the 50mm f/1.8 Canon FD, it was my first manual lens on the NEX and all my ( IMHO ) best stuff has been taken using it.

7424575230_408b28e4a3_c.
    Sony NEX-C3 / Canon FD 50mm F/1.8 - Ethan Bowler by markoneswift, on Flickr