1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Your opinion... should I sell Sigma 12-24 and get Tokina 11-16/2.8 ?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Amamba, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I like my Sigma 12-24 UWA. However it has some limitations.

It's rather slow for indoor use (f4.5 at 12mm, going up to f5.6). The built-in flash on Nex severely vignettes in direct mode, and isn't always strong enough when bounced (and there's not always a ceiling close enough to bounce off of). It does work great with an external flash. But, it's an expensive full frame lens, and I think a lot of it's benefits are lost on my Nex 6.

Now, most people would probably use it for the landscapes, so they would shoot it at f8-f11 anyway. I however would like to be able to use it on the inside, too.

Since I am not planning on moving to FF anytime soon, I could sell this lens and get Tokina 11-16/2.8 in A-mount. I would lose the ability to use it on FF, and 17-24mm range. I would however get a lens that's a bit lighter, a bit smaller, fast enough for in-house use without a flash, and will probably save some money, too (so can feed something else to my GAS syndrome ;) ). Seems like Tokina is decent optically. My Sigma is in pristine condition, save some small nicks on the removable part of the hood, and with so many people moving to FF I think I should be able to sell it rather quickly.

So, what do you think ?

2. Utik

Utik TalkEmount Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Rimini, Italy
    The tokina is fantastic for aps-c, and the only choice if you need f2.8.
    The sigma is a good FF lense, if you don't buy full frame, sell the lens.
    Simple!!
    Besides that... where do you live?

3. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    US (Michigan)

4. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Well, I put it on FredMiranda for $650. I may live to regret this decision, as I really like the colors it produces, but it's just too slow for me as I do a lot of photos in dim light.

5. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I had the tokina 11/16 and sold it a week later.

It's a great lens but behaved weird with my nex 6. It was very hard to focus, shots always looked blurry in the evf or even on the lcd. When I snapped the picture it also seemed that the front curtain shutter wouldn't work either and had that double clicking shutter sound as if it was turned off. The pics came out sharp most of the time since DOF was mostly pretty thick. I used it with the laea1 adapter as it was an A mount lens.

I ended up buying the Bower, Rokinon 14mm 2.8 in the A mount also. No problems at all and is very sharp.

I found a great deal on slightly used one on eBay for a little over 200.00. A lot cheaper than the tokina.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkNEX mobile app

• Like Like x 1