• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Your most impressive E mount lens?

WNG

TalkEmount Legend
Real Name
Will
I'm amazed neither the rokinon/samyang 12mm f2 nor the Sigma 60mm f2,8 are mentioned yet.
The 24mm Sony is a great lens but at that price it darned well better be. I find it amazing how much you get in cheap lenses like the 12mm samyang and especially the 60mm sigma

Yeah, I forgot about the Sigma 60mm f/2.8 Art. It's razor sharp. But at 60mm, it's tighter than the SEL5018 and less bright at night, so I rather use the 50 and the Sigma gets forgotten. What I need to do is try it with extension rings like you have and play around with it as a hand-held macro!

ggibson

TalkEmount Regular

SamSS

TalkEmount Veteran
Ever since I got the FE 90mm, I don't use the FE 55 as much unless space constrained.

grillec

TalkEmount Veteran
I think I would choose my 28mm/2 because it is a versatile lens on APS-C and FF with a good IQ. But I own only 8 (F)E-mount lenses and wouldn't call them specially impressive.
Perhaps if I would own one of these GM lenses?

alainib

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
alain
my favorite lenses on sony nex 6
sigma 30 1.4 dc contemporary ( even if Af is slow on nex 6 in dark situation and half time focus wrong ) ( better than my contax zeiss distagon 35mm 1.4, olympys zuiko 30mm f2, leica R summicron 35mm f2)
sony sel 50mm 1.8 (APSC version) , sharp and AF/IS
samyang 12 f2 ( i shoot 90% of my shoots in 5 days in Madrid this month )
saymang 85mm f1.4, pretty good for his price

I never try AF zeiss lens. i have the contax zeiss distagon 35mm 1.4 but sigma 30 1.4 is far lighter/smaller, as sharp or more and better flare control
i wish to test the sigma 30 1.4 with a new body (a6000) to see if AF is very fast and usable in low light and Gmaster lenses too ;)

Andromeda143

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Clive Dickinson
My only FE mount lenses are Sony Zeiss 35mm f/2.8, Samyang 24mm f/1.4 and Samyang 14mm AF f/2.8. The Sony is very good. The Samyang 24mm is ok. The 14mm I have not really had a chance to use it much yet so it is an unknown quantity. I would love a Batis 25mm and/or a Sony 55mm f/1.8 but cannot afford them, so I make do with Minoltas, which I also love. The best of those is my 24mm f/2.8, with the 20mm f/2.8 a close second.

JMM

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
John
I sold all my e-mount lenses, bought all minoltas i needed (and tamron 150-600) and was left with some bucks in my pocket. Im using them via LA-EA4. Only lens i kept is samyang 8mm f2.8 which i really love, but it annoys me that i have to take LA-EA to use it.

So far what i noticed:
-Minolta lenses are very similar in size and weight (sometimes smaller!)
-They autofocus faster and more "surely"
-IQ is just as good
-They cost fraction of E-mount lenses
-Autofocus is loud, some lenses extend when focusing, i got "only" 15 af points.

michealj

TalkEmount Veteran
I like the Zeiss 32mm f/1.8 on my A6000. The Sony 28mm f/2.0 on the A7ll is always dependable and is in the bag. I also have the Sigma 60mm f/2.8 which I use with either camera. That is it for e-mount lenses.

Chris Munden

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Peter Bower
I agree with you JMM, most of my A mount lenses are KM or Minolta which I use on my A-37, I also use them via a LA-EA3 adaptor and manual focus, I can't afford the the LA-EA4 which is the price of a good used lens for goodness sake on my A6000 because i'm not impressed with the E mount lenses ( not FF ) on a price performance level. The A6000 with a A mount lens attached via an adaptor is no longer a Compact System Camera, its poorly balanced, bigger and heavy, especially with a Minolta zoom attached, plus there is no IBIS. It defeats the object, so my A6000 is up for sale and I will stick with A mount bodies and my Minolta glass. Sony never thought this through as a logical and affordable CSC system preferring to poor all their eggs into the E mount FF basket. In my view the best CSC are M/4/3.

Pete

ztryfe

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Vic
In a thread full of Zeiss glass and GM stuff.... the one I like the most for my humble 5R is the good'ol SEL50F18, I use a lot of adapted 50mm, the Focal length just clicks with me and my style of shooting.

Now, if anybody wants to convert me to Zeiss or GM lenses, feel free to send me one!

NZOLIVER

New to TalkEmount
Do you have a lens or lenses that really stand out and have impressed you?

There are 3 (maybe 4) lenses that have really put a smile on my face and all for the same reason more or less.
The FE35 2.8, FE55 1.8 and FE90 2.8 (the 4th being the CV10).
Yep primes.
These 3 lenses have such good resolution, micro contrast and just perform so well, I've not noticed any CA's or any other anomalies to mention. The images are just so crisp and clean and detailed, they really do stand out.
The CV10 is excellent too, quite possibly in the same class as the 3 above although it hasn't quite left me with the awe inspiring admiration I have for the 35, 55 and 90.

Hi all,
My fave by a country mile is the Loxia 50 f2. Super sharp without the clinicalness of the 55m Sony (which I did try but didn't like)! Second fave is the 35mm 2.8 Zony. It isn't as nice as the 35 Loxia tho!

Oliver

Thom S

TalkEmount Regular
Zeiss 24mm on APS-C (That lens is what drew me to the Sony mirrorless system initially.)
Zeiss Loxia 21mm on full frame.

Latest threads

Top Bottom