• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

your minimalist kit

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
If I want to travel 'ultra' light weight, I take my Nex-7 w/Series E lenses, 28/50/100. I doubt that whole bunch weighs even 2 lbs. with battery.

Native lenses certainly are light. Then again that is part of the problem I have always had with them. It's the hollow/platicky quality that native lenses can have. I know intellectually that they can be well made but I still find it kind of off putting.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Maybe I should edit that post to say Nikon Series E lenses, Kevin.
I have the same problem with the 'feel' of my Sony 28. For that matter the Nikon Series E's feel the same way when compared to Nikkor counterparts. They do take comparable pictures though.
My 'ultra' light kit is for when I don't want to be bogged down and feel like I'm carrying a camera. I should probably try it with my D7000. I haven't had it out for over a year it seems, as it is HUGE compared to the Sony's.

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Maybe I should edit that post to say Nikon Series E lenses, Kevin.
I have the same problem with the 'feel' of my Sony 28. For that matter the Nikon Series E's feel the same way when compared to Nikkor counterparts. They do take comparable pictures though.
My 'ultra' light kit is for when I don't want to be bogged down and feel like I'm carrying a camera. I should probably try it with my D7000. I haven't had it out for over a year it seems, as it is HUGE compared to the Sony's.

LOL, I was wondering about that after I responded thinking that I didn’t realize there was a native 100mm...DOH.

The E series lenses are very good optically and quite a bargain as I recall.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
It's funny, the Series E 50 1.8 is an absolutely tack sharp lens. I probably should use mine more, but the 55 Micro is as sharp (or sharper) and does a great job of close ups if I'm in that mode so is the lens that rarely leaves my camera.

newst

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Steve New
What a great kit! Those are classic lenses at classic focal lengths. Of the three, I have only used the 75mm years ago. I ended up giving it to my brother because he did not have a 75mm and I had a different good one. I think you can expect those lenses to support your creativity quite well!

Thanks. I expect to have a lot of fun with these. Unfortunately, it has been gray, wet and nasty practically every day since I got these together. My only recent chance to go shooting was on a nature walk with a local camera group Saturday morning. Lucky for us it was only gray but for a walk like that my Minolta Rokkor 2.8/200 was more appropriate.

2017-11-04 Stage A7II Rokkor 200-28 (5).JPG
ILCE-7M2    ----    0mm    f/1.0    1/80s    ISO 12800

Arutemu

TalkEmount Veteran
My 'minimalist' kit includes everything I own, lugged around in a huge photo bag :sorry:
Seriously, every time I go somewhere exciting, thinking about what to take turns into an existential crisis... and ends up in a huge photo bag :biggrin:

fractal

Super Moderator
Real Name
Chris
On the Fuji I had a OM based kit...28/3.5, 50/1.8 and 100/2.8. Talk about small. I could stack all three lenses on top of one another and they were about the size of a can of pop. I have always liked the Pen 38 but I have had awful luck with them (sellers full not the lens).

I've had 4 OM 24/2.8'd and I find that I prefer the 28/3.5 more. The reason is that the 24/2.8 is optimized for middle distance and I like to get close. That said, the OM 24 sure as heck is sharp. The biggest surprise however (for me) was the 50/1.8. It was waaaaay better than any $30 lens has a right to be.

Olympus OM 50/1.8 MIJ
View attachment 85392
bumbershot by kevin dixey, on Flickr

Kevin,

As the current owner of your OM kit, works real well on the A7rii. Especially like the rendering of the 50mm 1.4 and the 100mm 2.8.

I would consider it my "small kit".

TN Args

TalkEmount Rookie
My 'minimalist' kit includes everything I own, lugged around in a huge photo bag :sorry:
Seriously, every time I go somewhere exciting, thinking about what to take turns into an existential crisis... and ends up in a huge photo bag :biggrin:
You need a transport bag and an excursion bag. Like me. :drinks:

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Kevin,

As the current owner of your OM kit, works real well on the A7rii. Especially like the rendering of the 50mm 1.4 and the 100mm 2.8.

I would consider it my "small kit".

Yep, those are pretty terrific.

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
Dumb fargin ?! Going to get responses all over the place. Individual differences...art is not fargin rocketry! You have a favorite paint brush? I use stuff made in the 30s and current, WTF good does it do to display what we got?

Decide day...attach lens and do it! Not sure, drag more crappola along and decide, if you can!

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Dumb fargin ?! Going to get responses all over the place. Individual differences...art is not fargin rocketry! You have a favorite paint brush? I use stuff made in the 30s and current, WTF good does it do to display what we got?

Decide day...attach lens and do it! Not sure, drag more crappola along and decide, if you can!

You can't always drag all your sh*t with you or you're traveling as light as possible and want to keep weight to an absolute minimum. You don't like the question don't answer it.

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
Dixeyk, dig...before coffee. But, all over the place...as noted. FWIW, I have wee Zuiko 38 on the box most of the time. Probably should peddle the native 1.8 as I rarely use, AF and all. Meant no "fargin" disrespect. TBH, I go out to shoot, the lenses are all in car. I missed a million dollar shot years ago for not having a lens, and never again. Shoot me!

WNG

TalkEmount Legend
Real Name
Will
The one lens to take is my 38mm f/1.8 as well. It's the lens that stays attached these days.

But yeah, when you can't take it all with you, like bicycle touring where every ounce and inch counts. I didn't pack a tripod because I couldn't really and thought I can make do without one. Big mistake. Never again without some form of steady base, lesson learned.
But if you're single and traveling by car, of course by all means pack as much of your gear to satisfy one's OCD/anxiety. :D
Even if by car, it may not be your final destination. If you're going to hike let's say, Mt. Ranier for the day, or camp overnight, you are going to have to compromise and decide what goes and what stays. That 70-200 may be a bad substitute for the can of bear spray! Although you can throw it at the bear. :D

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Dixeyk, dig...before coffee. But, all over the place...as noted. FWIW, I have wee Zuiko 38 on the box most of the time. Probably should peddle the native 1.8 as I rarely use, AF and all. Meant no "fargin" disrespect. TBH, I go out to shoot, the lenses are all in car. I missed a million dollar shot years ago for not having a lens, and never again. Shoot me!

My bad, I only had a few hours sleep. My apologies...sometimes I get cranky.

I hear ya on AF...I shoot adapted 99% of the time. I'm kinda old school that way (goes with the white hair and beard). I go everywhere on foot so light is a big deal for me. The Pen-F 38 is a cool little lens, I haven't had the best luck finding one in good shape lately. I should keep looking.

Last edited:

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
@bobbill - I have toyed with the idea of picking up a lens like the Jupiter 8 and see if a 1m close focus distance would drive me crazy our not. Then lens I miss the most is the old Panasonic 20/1.7...it was pancake, gave me a 40mm EFL (which I like) and could close focus really well. I'm not really a fan of m43 but if something like that were available for Sony (adapted or native) I would use that lens for everything and be good.

Ad Dieleman

Amateur
@bobbillThen lens I miss the most is the old Panasonic 20/1.7...it was pancake, gave me a 40mm EFL (which I like) and could close focus really well. I'm not really a fan of m43 but if something like that were available for Sony (adapted or native) I would use that lens for everything and be good.
I can relate to missing the Panasonic 1.7/20 for its focal length, although I didn't really like the image quality at smaller apertures, too uneven. I used the Minolta MD Zoom 3.5/24-35mm set to 26mm on my NEX-6 to get to the 40mm equivalent focal length. The lens is quite good at the short end and I got some nice landscape shots with it.

S01-20130202-055.jpg
NEX-6    Minolta MD Zoom 24-35mm 1:3.5 1021849    26mm    f/8.0    1/200s    ISO 100

S02-20130202-064.jpg
NEX-6    Minolta MD Zoom 24-35mm 1:3.5 1021849    26mm    f/8.0    1/320s    ISO 100

S03-20130202-069.jpg
NEX-6    Minolta MD Zoom 24-35mm 1:3.5 1021849    26mm    f/8.0    1/250s    ISO 100

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I can relate to missing the Panasonic 1.7/20 for its focal length, although I didn't really like the image quality at smaller apertures, too uneven. I used the Minolta MD Zoom 3.5/24-35mm set to 26mm on my NEX-6 to get to the 40mm equivalent focal length. The lens is quite good at the short end and I got some nice landscape shots with it.

View attachment 85714

View attachment 85715

View attachment 85716

Lovely stuff. Part of what I liked about the P20 was how small it was. I can use my Nikon 28/2 for the focal length but SMALL it is not. It makes nice images though.

Latest threads

Top Bottom