your minimalist kit

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dixeyk, Nov 4, 2017.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    If you were going to build yourself a minimal lens kit (adapted naturally) what would it be and why? I'm kinda partial to 28mm and 40mm on film (and FF) but it’s tough to find a decent WA adapted lens that fits into my budget so...

...of the lenses I currently own my minimal kit would probably be my Minolta MD 35-70/3.5 macro and Minolta MC 24/2.8. The 24 would get me a wide normal FOV for walking around and could probably work as a travel lens. The 35-70 would cover almost everything else I might need. It’s. A bit larger than I normally like but it’s as sharp as any of the primesi own from 35 to 50 and70 ain’t bad either. The addition of 1:7 and 1:4 closeup modes makes it even more useful for me. The reason I would pair it up with another Minolta is because they were designed to match color.

What about you?

• Like Like x 1
  2. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Hmmm, minimalist adapted kit....
    After thinking about it, I'd opt for Olympus Zuiko glass to keep things tidy.
    1. OM 24mm f/2.8 for it's sharpness and size. Even with its adapter, it's smaller than most 50's.
    2. Pen-F 38mm f/1.8. Even though I need a 2nd adapter, the Pen-F adapter is the size of an E-mount lens cap. Standard/Normal and 1.8 for night/indoor shots.
    3. Pen-F 50-90 f/3.5 Zoom. Covers any need up to 90mm on APS-C, which is equivalent to 135mm on full-frame. Constant f/3.5 and sharp and colorful. Oh yeah, it's small! ;)

• Like Like x 2
  3. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Depending on the possible photo-ops for the outing, if I'm going to take a casual walk through woods and/or around a lake shore line, I usually carry:
    Canon FD20-35/3.5-L WA zoom & Canon FD35-105/3.5 zoom macro, and NEX7

4. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    In the process of putting together one for myself. One more lens to get...

So far....

15mm f4.5 voigtlander
    28mm f2 voigtlander
    40mm f1.2 voigtlander
    Debating on either the 75 1.8 or the 75 2.5 voigtlander

And I use the samyang 135mm f2

So depending on the walk or trip I usually leave off the 15 or the 135 or both. Just take those equivalent focal lengths.

My go to bag usually consist of

24-35mm

40-55mm

And

85-135mm

Try only to bring 3 lenses. Luckily the A7rii has so many pixels cropping isn’t a factor and I can get away with smaller focal lengths more times than not if I’m not worried about DOF.

• Like Like x 2
  5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I’m happy with my 21/35/85 minimalist prime kit. But it's not adapted. :redface:

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    Tokina AT-X 28-85 "Close Focus" in Minolta Md, as far as adapted goes. Does everything except wildlife.
    But I find myself walking around with the FE 24-240 a lot, although it's hard to call that lens "minimal". :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 17, 2015
    Here's my list:
    Canon 35 2.8 LTM
    Nikon Micro Nikkor 55 2.8
    Vivitar 70-150 3.5 Macro Focusing zoom in Nikon mount
    Sony FE28/2 -I've adapted to it rather than it adapting to the camera.
    All, on either of my Sony cameras, work for me.

• Like Like x 1
  8. michealj

michealj TalkEmount Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 2, 2015
    Blaine, MN
    Hello and "It depends..."

On what the outing is going to be. I always try to restrain my self to 3 lenses and one adapter.

Olympus OM:
    28mm 1:2.8
    35MM 1:2.8 (M mount)
    The above two rarely are in the bag at the same time.
    50MM 1:1.8
    135mm 1:3.5

If I'm going to the zoo I may take the Rokinon 135mm 1:2
    If going in town then the Canon FD 17mm 1:4 for architecture and public art

With the exception of the Rokinon I can get by with a fairly small bag.

Good question Kevin, made me wonder why I have all those other lenses... :hmmm:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. TedG954

TedG954 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2014
    South Florida and NE Ohio
    Ted Gersdorf
    My minimalist kit.........

A6000
    Sony 18-55
    Spare Battery

:thumbup:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. sam

sam TalkEmount Regular

Nov 23, 2015
    Ontario
    sam_men
    Nex 5r

Canon FD 24 f 2.8
    Canon FD 28 f 2.8 (sometimes)
    FL 50 f 1.8
    FD 135 f3.5
    FD 200 f4 (sometimes)

Depending on my mood, it might be the equivalent in Minolta MD

Spare batteries

• Like Like x 1
  11. firemist

firemist TalkEmount Regular

Dec 4, 2015
    Well, 21/1.8 Ultron plus 35/1.7 Ultron plus 75/1.8 Heliar on A7R.

I tried to make it fit (with the usual "extra" stuff) into a TT Turnstyle 10 sling bag, but too tight. So now it goes in my Domke F6.

• Like Like x 1
  12. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    On the Fuji I had a OM based kit...28/3.5, 50/1.8 and 100/2.8. Talk about small. I could stack all three lenses on top of one another and they were about the size of a can of pop. I have always liked the Pen 38 but I have had awful luck with them (sellers full not the lens).

I've had 4 OM 24/2.8'd and I find that I prefer the 28/3.5 more. The reason is that the 24/2.8 is optimized for middle distance and I like to get close. That said, the OM 24 sure as heck is sharp. The biggest surprise however (for me) was the 50/1.8. It was waaaaay better than any $30 lens has a right to be.

Olympus OM 50/1.8 MIJ
    27125280176_2c27f0e6ae_b.
    bumbershot
    by kevin dixey, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  13. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    For the last few years I have been in a downsizing mood. I look at the thirty or so lenses it just bugs me. When I go through my photos the vast majority are set with maybe six lenses total. One of my favorite photographers Jane Bown shot with just two lenses all the time (and OM 50/1.4 and 100/2.8). I think ultimately I'll find myself getting

I have also found over the years that (for em) having too many choices gets in my way.

14. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Another minimalist kit for me would be...

Nikkor N 24/2.8
    Nikkor-O 35/2

The Nikkor 24 because I think it's the unsung hero of adapted 24's. It's sharp, contrasty close focuses and has really nice OOF areas for a WA lens. I'm not sure why it has a reputation for being a mediocre lens but I like it better than any of the various 24's I've had.

36532272250_0be4d75c9a_b.
    whimsy

36486713790_cf25439aa6_b.
    flagged

I thought of adding one of my fast 50's but I could get by just fine with just the 24/35 combo.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    One lens to rule them all?

16. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Hmmm...if I had to pick one lens? The Nikkor-O 35/2 without a doubt. It easily the best lens I own, it’s a 50mm FOV on my NEX, it close focuses really well and the IQ is terrific. I’ve seen it compared to Leica glass of the same vintage (although I have no idea if that is accurate).

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 2
  17. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I agree, the OM Zuiko MC 50mm f/1.8 is my 1st suggestion to anyone who wants only one nifty fifty. I've gone through quite a number of 50's, and the Olympus is tops for its transparent clarity, bokeh, sharpness, and wonderful colors, size and cost. I got lucky on my MC and not so lucky on my MIJ (thinking it could be disassembled and cleaned...it can't!) The MIJ does have a lovely wide open rendering...even with a spot of fungus behind the front objective. It's claimed the MIJ is the best version.
    Both were very cheap. But prices are rising rapidly!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. newst

newst TalkEmount Regular

Aug 20, 2014
    Troy, MI
    Steve New
    I just put this kit together due to the serendipitous concurrence of available cash through the sale of a pair of lenses and a couple of very good Ebay offers. Not inexpensive but I am thoroughly pleased with the image quality on both the A7II and A6500.

Voigtlander Ultron 1.7/35
    Voigtlander Nokton 1.5/50
    Voigtlander Color-Heliar 2.5/75

All three lenses are LTM mount. I use them with either the Techart Pro AF adapter or the Voigtlander VM-E Close Focus Adapter.

• Like Like x 4
  19. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    What a great kit! Those are classic lenses at classic focal lengths. Of the three, I have only used the 75mm years ago. I ended up giving it to my brother because he did not have a 75mm and I had a different good one. I think you can expect those lenses to support your creativity quite well!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 17, 2015
    If I want to travel 'ultra' light weight, I take my Nex-7 w/Series E lenses, 28/50/100. I doubt that whole bunch weighs even 2 lbs. with battery.

• Like Like x 4