1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Your longer focal length for indoor...

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by alaios, Aug 25, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Dear all,
    I am just curious to ask that... Given that the more the focal length of a lens is the higher speed is to give sharp shots, I wanted to ask that.
    What is the largest focal length you have tried indoor, mostly handheld? Have you been over 50mm? And if yes how much you have to raise the iso to compensate for the very high shutter speed.

Regards
    Alex

2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I use 105mm/2.5 Tamron and 85mm/2.8 Contax indoors. Ok handheld if there is enough light. If there is not enough light I will use flash.

As there are monopods, tripods, flashes and high iso the limiting factor is view angle of lens and minimum focusing distance of the lens.

3. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    With your 105 lens you will probably need a shutter speed around 250... Can the flash work at that shutter speed?

Regards
    Alex

4. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I usually sit and 1/100 s is enough then. Besides Nex has got quite good sensor and ISO 800 produces ok results for portraits.

With flash shutter speed doesn't matter, the flash discharges in something like 1/10000 seconds. I have taken lots of flash photographs with 1/10 s shutter speed (putting my Nex 3C into bulb mode and hitting the shutter release button rapidly, Nex 3's have automatically adjusted LCD brightness in bulb mode, like having a Sony flash in them) but as 99% of the light is coming from the flash long exposure time doesn't matter.

5. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    I think is good that you can do it with 1/100.... shutter speed. For me this looks impossible, especially when I am standing still.

Regards
    A

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    The 45mm, 2.0 Rokkot is about as long as I want to get in a small room.

I have a zoom, starting at 70mm that I have tried indoors a few times, but unless it is a big room, found difficult.

My 30mm Sigma is my go to indoor lens.

7. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Why do you think so Alex? Do you mean for shooting moving targets?

Here's a photo I just took inside with my 105mm 2.8 at ISO400 and a shutter speed of 1/160. Nothing interesting, just a quick example.

This is RAW straight out of camera. It's underexposed, but with the good NEX sensors. I know I can brighten it and pull in more detail in post and I can add noise reduction. Behind the feather is a curtain, if I opened that more, I would have had more light.

With flash, the shutter speed is a none issue. Actually, with my pop-up flash the fastest the camera will let me go is 1/160.

i-TXdmJHD-L.

8. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Nex C3 won't go over 1/160 if it knows that there is flash attached. However it will fire flash at higher speed if it don't know that there is a flash and My C3 will work with 1/250 shutter speed, someones with 1/320. That is limitation outside when one wishes to use fill flash in bright light.

9. Mattithjah

Mattithjah TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
    My longest indoor focal lenght is 85mm (1,8), but 50 or even 35 is better for me.

10. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    In decent light (sunshine coming through the window) I had no problems using an 85 mm unstabilized lens on a crop Canon DSLR, with speeds around 1/50.

Is not that hard to hold a camera steady at reasonable shutter speeds. At least with still subjects. Light is more important, IMHO. I'd rather use speed at 1/2 x FL with ISO400 than 2x FL at ISO 1600.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2