1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Your favourite photos of 2014

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by bmg123, Dec 9, 2014.

1. bmg123

bmg123 TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 15, 2013
    England, UK
    Hi all, been some time since I posted.

Last year I created a thread asking you all to choose a selection of your own photos, up to a maximum of three, that define the year in photography for you, whether it be an important event, a split-second shot or just a nice capture that you're proud of. So here I am again, nearly at the closing of 2014. I'll start with a few of my own...

11890638355_a4a8634d3b_b.
    Squirrel by Ben Grady, on Flickr

I chose this shot just because it reminds me of how much I love photography. I'm finding as I try and focus on building my film career that I have less attention for creative relaxation. This shot was taken when I was in London and had a while to wait for a train, and so I wandered around the area and eventually stumbled upon this creature, who was kind enough to pose for me. It was a nice feeling to just aimlessly wander and shoot something for no purpose other than creating something.

14871688643_a18e802b29_b.
    06-Aug-2014-40 by Ben Grady, on Flickr

This next one is both special and not special. It's not a particularly fancy photo, and bears little meaning, but it has a sentimental side. This was taken on a trip to the seaside seeing some family, and I took a moment to stand in the sand, looking out to the water in blistering winds and a mist that clouded up my lenses as soon as I faced south-east. Next year I'll be moving to University, and so at this moment I took a while to think about all the changes facing me, so it was a strange moment.

14664962680_eaab95531a_b.
    pano by Ben Grady, on Flickr

This final image was taken on the same trip as the previous on the last day. The church in the town was on a steep elevation and so I could get a great view of the river from above. There was no one around to interrupt my thinking, and so I stood alone next to the gravestones for a good hour, getting some decent shots of the architecture, waiting for the sun to fall, and thankfully it did with some splendour. All the time it was practically silent around me, and the lack of company made it particularly poignant, staring out into the wilderness as the sun set for another day.

So there you have it, my three photos for this year with a lot of sentimentality attached. I look forward to seeing yours!

• Like Like x 14
  2. TedG954

TedG954 TalkEmount All-Pro

Nov 29, 2014
    South Florida and NE Ohio
    Ted Gersdorf
    • Like Like x 4
  3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Damn your eyes, bmg123, you did this to us last year! 3 photos? From an entire year??!!!

Sigh...

OK, these my not be the "best" of the last year, if you're going to judge them on their photographic merits. But they're the 3 that, looking back, I take the most pleasure from.

15250976066_8c4232b723_b.

Bandon-1.jpg
    by Holzwerk, on Flickr

14104317916_283791bab3_b.

Bristlecone 2
    by Holzwerk, on Flickr

14565234553_5c1757f549_b.

Sunset Lavender
    by Holzwerk, on Flickr

• Like Like x 22
  4. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Those are really nice David, but the compo on number 2 is killer. Well seen!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Wow, excellent David! And as Gary said, number 2 is... awesome (does anyone still use that word?)!

Sent from TalkEmount app on iPad

• Like Like x 1
  6. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    • Like Like x 16
  7. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Those three all grab my attention (and admiration) Colin. But that last one is otherworldly.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    My favorite three of the year just because I like them. Being just an amateur, I can see where I did things right in these three and can work towards matching/beating that in the next year. I just wish my camera wasn't so darn dirty on the second photo. I really love that shot.

14713236932_5d2e0f3f65_b. SunsetCabin7.08.14-5180 by Stevsh, on Flickr

14204934093_e1946f0456_b. beach by Stevsh, on Flickr

14797906065_887f20dab0_b. Yellow7.31.14(2)-6884 by Stevsh, on Flickr

• Like Like x 14
  9. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Suzanne - I like #2 too. :)

Do you have Lightroom? Those spots can be cloned out it 2 seconds.

10. Zanner

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    Yes I do. I just have to figure it out. I work a lot and try to stay off the computer in the evenings while I'm home with my daughter, so the fun stuff on the computer like LR gets put on the backburner. I will get there though!

• Like Like x 1
  11. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Great shots, Suzanne. The colors you captured in #1 are amazing. And Gary's right, LR would make quick work of those spots. I could show you some of mine that make your photo look immaculate in comparison.

But I wont. :evilsmile:

• Like Like x 1
  12. bmg123

bmg123 TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 15, 2013
    England, UK
    Well I think it's safe to say I've been well and truly outclassed, thanks a lot guys! ;)

13. Zanner

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    Thanks David. It literally looked like the sky was on fire that night. It was a great moment right after a thunderstorm. That was up at my parents home in northern MN. The best place to be for sunsets in the summer. ;)

bmg123 - LOVE the panorama shot! I can't resist a gorgeous sky.

14. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Thanks David. You know, to be honest, I don't like any of my photos. I'm not sure why. These are a few that I think suck the least.

15. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    For what it's worth, I think they are quite good. Not in your face good, but subtle photography good. Basically, they show photography skills that a laymen may not notice. You don't accidentally take those type of pictures. If that makes any sense. :confused:

• Like Like x 2
  16. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Makes perfect sense. That first shot, for instance, just keeps pulling me back. And very time I look, I see more. That's no snapshot.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Zanner

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    For me, it's that second shot Colin. There is so much emotion in that photo for me. I love it.

• Like Like x 1
  18. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    • Like Like x 16
  19. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Oh man, I remember that last one, Nick. And I think I like even more the second time around! Woof!

• Like Like x 1
  20. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Thanks for the kind words David! Very much appreciated :)