1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Your favorite way to transport your gear

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Poki, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Hey all,

just a quick question: How do you transport your gear? Not at flights or anything that complicated, just in normal day to day use and day trips. I'm wondering just how nice some solutions you guys came up with are. If you don't mind, please post a snapshot of your setup too.

I used to use a Crumpler Half Photo Hatchback. But lately, keeping a backpack with me felt a little tiring, so I ordered a smaller bag which will probably come tomorrow. I'll post a photo as soon as I receive it. The Crumpler backpack is awesome, though, so for dedicated photo trips which are longer than a few hours, I still feel like it's the perfect solution. Fits two cameras, three lenses and two flashes in the seemingly small photo department while offering quite a bit of space for personal stuff. The front compartment is perfect for a filter case and more batteries for the cameras and flashes, while the main compartment offers lots of space for personal stuff, a Notebood and even a travel tripod if you want to.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    I have two bags.

When I go out it's usually with the small bag, which is just big enough to accommodate the NEX, a standard prime, one wide and one (slightly) telephoto. I have a larger bag for more more elaborate outings. My needs are simple: http://www.billdanby.com/2014/07/bags.html

3. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
  4. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    It’s very rare that I go after something that requires me to carry a lot of gear…minimal gear is usually tailored to a specific outing...for example:
    A visit to the local Arboretum is usually covered with a couple lenses…the ‘half-vest’ in Photo 1 below is very convenient for carrying a second lens, polarizer, rocket blower…and the other large pocket makes changing lenses safe, quick, and easy.
    If taking a long hike outing where a good tele might be needed, then I’ll also use the Thinktank holster, 2nd photo below.

5. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    I don't carry much on me, but I often carry an alternative lens in a cool little Minolta lens bag with a shoulder strap. Makes me look light a hipster.

• Like Like x 1
  6. christian

christian TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
  7. Mattithjah

Mattithjah TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
    Surprisingly, I found original black SONY LCS-EMC case good enough for my needs. It store my nex with CV 40/1.4 and sel 16 with wide converter, 2 spare batteries and SD card and helicoid adapter. It is without shining brand logo, fast openable, enough padded, small, good material…

Sent from my ZTE V967S using TalkEmount mobile app

8. demiro

demiro TalkEmount Regular

Mar 2, 2012
  9. christian

christian TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    It's very practical! This is one of the reasons I bought this bag. There are official videos on Youtube. Type caselogic reflexion cross body bag. It'll give you a good idea. There are two sizes. One small, you can put your iPad in it if you have one and another one is bigger, for a laptop.

My flickr: https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/118310489@N03/

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Padded bag - Tamrac 5682 - for the camera and Lowe Dashpoint 20 padded cases for the lenses. (Two of those just happen to fit side to side in the large lower pocket of a fishing vest - great way to head out with multiple prime lenses on my person! One works nicely on the belt as well...)

11. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    I use two different bags:
    Small one for daily use: LowePro Apex 110 AW.
    Fits my 5-T with 18-55 and 2 primes like the 35F18 or the Sigma 60mm.
    http://store.lowepro.com/apex-110-aw

and to store gear at home or bring everything with me: LowePro Slingshot 102 AW.
    Takes all my equipment including tripod.
    http://store.lowepro.com/sling-bags/slingshot-102-aw

As you can see I'm a LowePro fan, cause I love the quality and the integrated weather protection coming with all AW bags.

12. bmg123

bmg123 TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 15, 2013
    England, UK
    ...And I just sling it all in a backpack! Haven't damaged anything (yet)...

13. NkedFatWhiteGuy

NkedFatWhiteGuy TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    I use a Patagonia MiniMass with a medium neoprene gear wrap. Works great, is discreet, and is weather resistant ;)

14. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    The photo gear is much sturdier than most give it credit for. I just use a reasonably well padded bag.

• Like Like x 1
  15. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
  16. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Thank you for all the responses. Some nice solutions here. I've looked into quite a few solutions for myself and I think I'm okay with my setup now. As a backpack, I use the Crumpler Half Photo Hatchback as I already told you. It looks like this:

DSC09485.

The front compartment is perfect for spare batteries for my flashes and cameras. The lower compartment fits a NEX body with an attached lens and up to four additional lenses - more than enough room for my gear.

DSC09486.

In the main department, there is space for a notebook (up to 15"), some smaller spaces for accessories and a bigger space for personal stuff. Not huge, but still enough for the most important things at a day trip.

DSC09488.

For shorter trips, I've looked long for a solution. Finally got this messenger style bag, which is more than big enough for a camera, two lenses and some accessories. There's a front compartment big enough for the Metz 15 MS-1 and an iPad Mini, and the main department is even big enough for my tripod if I want to bring it with me.

Why did I prefer this bag to a dedicated camera bag? The reason is that the locking mechanism is magnetic instead of the old styled mechanisms of most camera bags. This is essential for me because it allows fast access to my camera while still being tight enough to keep my gear secure.

Now it'd just be nice to have some kind of insert which allows me to put lenses in there without lens bags. You know just like the ones in camera bags. Does anybody know where I could get such an insert in a size which might fit the bag?

DSC09490.

• Like Like x 1