Your favorite indoor lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by alaios, Apr 4, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Dear all,
    I have already a 50mm manual lens and a 30mm sigma, that are both good for portraits but a bit not too wide for capturing a person doing some action (toddler running in the house).

I wanted to ask you to report what is your lens for indoor activity. Let's see what I will get.

Regards
    Alex

2. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Well difficult thing...
    For indoor use I would recommend for price and IQ
    - Sigma 19mm
    - SEL16F28
    Wide angles are good for indoor shooting but remember not to use them for nearby portraits.

3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    If 30mm isn't wide enough for you, I'd go for the Sigma 19/2.8. I have one and it's excellent value for money, especially now that you can pick up the old model (same optics as new model) for as little as € 99. A Sony Zeiss 24/1.8 is also wider than 30mm, but resorts in a completely different price bracket.

4. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thanks I was thinking to try around 24mm but to go for a very fast manual lens to allow me to shoot under low light. Any recommendations on that?

5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Most legacy 24mm that are f/2 or faster, are 1) expensive and/or 2) not good wide-open. The Canon 24mm 1:1.4 comes to mind, but I think you'd better off buying a Sony Zeiss 24/1.8 :). The Nikkor 24/2 isn't good wide-open. Leica has a few fast 24mm lenses with prices of only 4 figures. I have an old Vivitar 24/2 which is horrible wide-open.

In other words, that doesn't look feasible unless you spend a truckload of money.

6. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Did not know that.... Why they can not give below f/2? What is the technical challenge?

7. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Sony 16mm & Sigma 19mm will give you a wider look, but Sony Zeiss give you a faster lens, which should help with running kids, but still af in low light may not be enough... I used Sony 16mm to take photos in a tunnel construction and af worked most of the time...

Here is some shots with nex-5 and Sony 16mm, including indoor shots with some low light situations (Sony shots start with w_DSC, rest of the shots are with Olympus):
    Colonial Williamsburg Photo Gallery by Serhan at pbase.com

8. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
  9. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    double posted...

10. alaios