1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Your favorite 35mm(ish) lens under $500 and why

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by cvt01, Jan 13, 2015.

1. cvt01

cvt01 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 3, 2015
    I'm working on putting together a travel kit which would include a 14mm rokinon a 55mm 1.2 Canon Fd which I just got on eBay and a 35ish lens.
    I need your experience to help me decide what to prime get in the 28-40 range. I don't want to spend more than $500 and I would prefer something light but not slower than f/2 (I might consider f/2.8 if it is really cheap really sharp and really featherwieght). I'm a bokeh whore so I might trade in sharpness for bokeh but at 35mm I have no crazy high expectations.

I spent the last weeks to research adapted lenses for Sony but the endless options get overwhelming after a while. i hope that your first hand experience with these lenses will help me decide what to get.

Sorry I forgot to mention it will be the A7 body so only full frame adapted lenses.

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
  3. cvt01

cvt01 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 3, 2015
    Thanks, yes I'm looking for adapted only.
    This looks like a nice little lens, how is the sharpness wide open?

4. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    You can get the Sony 35mm F1.8 for that kind of money, and you would struggle to do any better. Great Bokeh, sharp, stabilised, great size. Unless you need full frame?

The MD Rokkor 35mm F2.8 is one of my all time favourite lenses. I do use it with a speedbooster though, so it acts like a proper 35mm.

• Like Like x 1
  5. michelb

michelb TalkEmount Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    Greater Montreal area in Quebec, Canada
    Michel Brien
    The Sony 35 1.8 is APS-C only

Minolta MC W.Rokkor-X 35mm f1.8 would fit the bill with great combination of sharpness and bokeh ( or the non-X versions if you are from Europe or Asia

My preference goes to the ones with 55mm filters and waffle design focusing ring

Search this site for lens reviews ans see it is one nice performer for about 250- to 300 $

6. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    I never picked up the 35mm Rokkor F1.8, because costs a lot more than the 2.8, and doesn't necessarily perform better according to rokkorfiles:

http://www.rokkorfiles.com/35mm Page 1.htm

And I tend to think that when shooting at 35mm, a F2.8 is often fast enough. Certainly fast enough for street / landscape work. I use mine for taking photos of food (like a dork) and if the depth of field was any shallower you wouldn't be able to see much.

You can see the really nice (in my opinion) Bokeh when you focus close with this lens:

http://allthesamelightbulbs.tumblr.com

7. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    In the welcome thread you said you intend to buy an A7 so I guess we're talking full-frame here and in that format I strongly prefer 40mm over 35mm. I've used three 40mm lenses over time. The first was the Voigtländer Nokton Classic 40/1.4, sold off again because it wasn't sharp at all outside the center at larger aperture and needed f/8 to get acceptably sharp in the corners. Then the Konica Hexanon AR 40/1.8, not a bad lens at all, performing very well at f/8 for landscapes and f/2.8 for snapshots in a pinch; I kept it because selling it wouldn't bring me much money. But I wanted better performance at larger apertures and bought the Olympus OM Zuiko 40/2, a wonderful lens (except at f/2 where it's soft and flary) and my present weapon of choice for a standard lens. I'd like to have a better performer at f/2 though so at one time or another I'll try the Leica/Minolta Summicron/M-Rokkor 40/2.

8. cvt01

cvt01 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 3, 2015
    Thanks michelb, isthis the one we are talking about?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Minolta-W-R...28251359?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item3cf0382ddf

because it seems cheap ($200) compared to this one:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Minolta-MC-...60496844?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item1c41a638cc

This is the other thing, some of these lenses have like 3-4 versions out there and the prices vary a lot. I never know if I'm looking at the right one. So many options...

9. cvt01

cvt01 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 3, 2015
    Thanks Ad,

I've got a pancake canon 40 from a friend to test on my current full frame camera. I'll look if I like the focal length. I feel sometime that the 35 is just right and anything longer might be too long. If anything I might want to go more wide then 35 than the other way around. So I looked at the canon fd 28 f/2... it gets good reviews and I like to be more wide setting the second lens more apart from the basic 50...

Any first hand experience with this one?

10. Rollin

Rollin TalkEmount Regular

Jul 2, 2014
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    My Canon 35mm f/2 has severed me well. KEH guys told me of film era lenses they like Contax Zeiss ones, but modern lenses are way better so if you could find a used Voiegtlander 40mm & adapter or such might be good.

11. Austrokiwi

Austrokiwi TalkEmount Regular

Feb 2, 2014
    22nd District Vienna
    Ian Fenn
    Its not light weight but it is a performer...you'll need a solid adapter though Mamiya Sekor C 35mm N

12. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    No, I only have a Canon FDn 28/2.8 which is OK but not super. The Minolta MD 28/2 (plain MD, not Rokkor) is quite nice except when wide-open which is common with legacy wide-angle lenses in my experience. I've had a Nikkor 28/2 AIS in my film days which I sold because it sucked; I must have been the only one in the world who didn't like that lens so my sample must have been a dud. A Vivitar Series 1 28/1.9 was OK when stopped down again to f/2.8 but still a lot less contrasty than my Nikkor lenses of those days. When I want to use a 28mm these days I grab the Olympus OM Zuiko 28/3.5 because it's sharp across the frame at f/8.

13. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    +1 for the FDn 35/2. Quite fast and pretty sharp. Got it in mint condition for less than 200 euros. Never used it for bokeh, never tried actually but at f2 you can expect something...I can try out.

14. michelb

michelb TalkEmount Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    Greater Montreal area in Quebec, Canada
    Michel Brien
    The first one you show is from early production and coatings were less refined ( also does not have the waffle design focusing ring )
    Can not see the second one ( eBay is blocking me for whatever reason )

The one i am suggesting would look like this
    16095647258_bf68a5b947_b.
    Picked this one up from a neighbour a couple of weeks ago ( looks new to me but was originally purchased in 1975 by the previous owner )

I have not fully tested this one yet but i did test a number of 35's on A7r and NEX-7 a couple of months ago: See the Flickr album here https://www.flickr.com/photos/55173440@N08/sets/72157639992113934/
    I do have the earlier version of this 35 1.8 in that test plus others ( I decided to keep the A-mount F1.4 and this MC 1.8 after the test )

Be patient, one will show up for you eventually. Just make sure you get the original shade with it.

Also for full info on Minolta SR/MC/MD lenses see this page: http://minolta.eazypix.de/lenses/index.html
    There is a very complete description on the appearance of the lenses as they evolved.

Someone in another post mentioned the test of the MD 35 F1.8: this is a later version with 49mm threads and has a very different design that i would not really be interested in.

• Like Like x 2
  15. hodad66

hodad66 Sony Guru

Feb 8, 2012
    Indialantic, Fl
    John
    I just got this 1952, Leitz Wetzler 35mm 3.5 which has just been CLA'd for $350

16260014246_91888b7c1d_c.

16098495478_15e2d583a3_z.

16100645647_9fc943f079_c.

16281572841_3f6901f19b_c.

• Like Like x 2
  16. cvt01

cvt01 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 3, 2015
    I did some reading and today I jumped on an Olypus Zuiko MD 28 f/2. At 250 grams it seems like a nice lightweight option for a walkaround normal-wide lens. I hope it will perform nice wide open... will see
    Now out to find a nice used A7, wish me luck. :)

• Like Like x 1