Your choice of flash /trigger system?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by soeren, Jan 22, 2017.

1. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Phottix, Nissin, Yongnou, Sony, Godox or.......? Which is your choice of flash/trigger system and why.
    I picked Godox for the ease of use, offering ttl, hss, rear curtain sync, stroboscobic flash, manual mode and the ability to combine Godox flashes and triggers for Sony, Nikon and Canon. Further more the wide range of units from the humble speedlight to studiostrobes running on the same triggersystem is very attractive as is off cource a very reasonable pricepoint
    The fact I can use my trigger/flashes with any camera having a PC contact is quite an extra plus with all the nice analog cameras I have and use.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I'm a noob when it comes to flash :D but I knew I wanted HSS and TTL in an affordable package (so Phottix and Sony was out due to $$$, Yongnou due to Manual) and was between the Nissin (Di700A or the smaller i60A) with Air1 commander and the Godox X series (V860iiS/TT685S) with the X1T-S trigger.
    I chose the latter because everybody is raving about them and because of some not so positive reviews about the Nissin...

Still waiting for it to come so I can start practicing :D

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

I've been using cheapo no-name wireless triggers on my Yongnuo's, but I'm now (also) slowly transitioning to Godox--have an X1T and a TT685S.

4. soeren

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Whoops :) I have the X1T and 2 TT685 and really listing after a couple of AD360II's
    I'm also a noob but I see a system I can evolve with from my TT685's over the AD360 to the AD600, maybe beyond without having to learn other control philosophies.

5. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    I'm happy with Cactus. They have a Sony trigger and the flashes have built-in receivers. Cactus doesn't offer TTL (that I didn't want anyway), but does provide HSS and has remote power and zoom controls.

6. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    I have the Nissin Di700A (2 nos.) with the Air Commander but just acquired (2 days ago) a Godox AD600BM + X1T. HSS on the Godox is straightforward. If I set the shutter speed above the Sony's sync speed, the Godox automatically goes into HSS mode. On the Nissin, one has to press and hold one of the buttons on the flash unit to activate HSS.

This pic #6575 was taken with the Godox AD600BM on HSS. :)

7. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    I am pretty much a registered Godox fan boy. I have the tt350s, tt685s, v860iis, 2 x ad360(1), 2 x ad600B, 3 x x1t-s triggers, 1 x x1t-c trigger. Of course Godox's price point is a big factor but honestly Godox offers more functionality, more compatibility over a greater range of product than anyone else. Features such as Bowens mount, auto-switching to HSS, USB for firmware updates, syncro delay for hyper sync, adh-600 extension cable and brand neutral in built Nikon/Canon/Sony firmware (with most products) are just an added bonus.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mus Aziz

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    Couldn't agree more with you Robbie.

9. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

100% available light

• Like Like x 2
  10. soeren

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Me too but sometimes I need to improve availability :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  11. nidza

nidza TalkEmount Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    Serbia
    Goddox is great. Honestly I though I will not have again Nikon CLS on any other system, but Goddox on A7ii is absolutely comparable, with so much less price impact.

In other words, vote for Goddox, X1T-S and TT685S. Works great, on and off-shoe. You will not regret buying it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Noob here when it comes to flashes and what not. Can you describe why you went with HSS for that shot? Not to get to far off topic... I'm only wondering because from my own research I thought HSS was really a tool to be used to overpower natural lighting conditions such as outdoors with sunrise sunset in the background.
    I'm also waiting on my Godox gear to arrive. Mistakenly ordered the T685s when I was after the 860s had to send the first kit back. But I'm eager to get going with the gear.

13. johnson4096

johnson4096 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2016
    Dan Johnson
    I went Nissin because I got it for a super price and haven't looked back. I love the features and size, which is perfect for my Alpha NEX-6. Highly recommended.

14. Mus Aziz

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    Matt, I upped the shutter speed to darken my background, which caused the Godox to go into HSS mode (this is done automatically by the Godox if you set the shutter speed above the sync speed of the camera). In my pic, the shutter speed was 1/1000s. But I still had to further darken the background in LR for the effect I was after.

I normally shoot in Manual mode and my flash output is also on manual. Nothing against TTL. The shutter speed of the camera can be used to control how much ambient light you want to allow in the shot. The aperture for depth of field control. I then vary the flash output to get the right exposure for the subject (my face, in my case).

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 2
  15. soeren

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Also have my camera and flash in manual mode by default. Have used my flashes in HSS for the same reason as mentioned above. As here where I just had to skip tidying up and vacuum cleaning to play around a bit. First pic is the background second is @f/2,8 & 1/4000sec ISO100.
    DSC_0203.JPG PICT_20161113_113927.JPG

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1