Your Bad Shots

sapoeijoek

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Edwin
OP, I trash em. But here is one for a book I did. I had to make something out of it as I only had a few days to make the book. If the photo can't be half-ass with PP then it must be relinquished as trash.

Here is before...

View attachment 93946

Here is after...

View attachment 93947

Original was also crooked, so I straightened. It is hell shooting there. Photography is illegal, it is lit like a darkroom safelight. The photos look worse on this forum. In hi-res and printed they are not nearly that bad, just 'somewhat' bad.

Google...'An example of what 2-1/2 hours of Lightroom can do for a photograph' that will give you a better idea of my trash and salvaging that trash. Shot it back in the early 70's when I was 19.

Here are Robert Franks proof sheets from The Americans, we all take crappers if we do street work. Check them out for trash.

Robert Frank’s ‘The Rejected Americans’……You Choose!
When I go out shooting I don't normally trash all the bad shots unless they suck so bad and so embarrassing, then I delete them right away before anybody sees those pictures :rofl:.
What I do, I review them at home on my pc where I can learn from my mistakes. So next time don't trash them right away, let's see those shots...maybe for fun and laugh, right?
At Amsterdam's red light district, you're actually lucky you could get that shot with the worker in it, and wow she's smiling too!.

johnson4096

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Dan Johnson
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Lens flare!

Last edited:

johnson4096

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Dan Johnson

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
This is my favorite "bad" picture. I hit the shutter button while bringing the camera up to my eye.

sven karma

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
mark evans

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
Ghost Dog

johnson4096

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Dan Johnson

NEX-6 - Pentax A 50mm f2.0 - ISO 400 - 1/640 @ f2.0

Mind your backgrounds lest they mess up your efforts.

pworden

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Patti
Flash didn't fire. Before and After (processing in LR).

pworden

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Patti
The main thing I did was to increase exposure slider in Lightroom. Then a little increase in shadows and decrease in highlights, a little vibrance. Gotta hand it to the amazing Sony sensor! I don't use other cameras, so not sure how it compares, but it captures a lot! Here's a link to the RAW if you want to try it: Dropbox - Flash_Misfire.DNG

Last edited:

addieleman

Passionate amateur
Real Name
Ad Dieleman
The main thing I did was to increase exposure slider in Lightroom. Then a little increase in shadows and decrease in highlights, a little vibrance. Gotta hand it to the amazing Sony sensor! I don't use other cameras, so not sure how it compares, but it captures a lot! Here's a link to the RAW if you want to try it: Dropbox - Flash_Misfire.DNG
Amazing indeed. I played with your raw in Lightroom, it needed all available +5 stops exposure correction and then some shadow pull-up but it turns out quite well. The effective sensitivity is around ISO 2000 then and the noise isn't even all that bad. Yep, Sony knows a thing or two about sensors.

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
Amazing indeed. I played with your raw in Lightroom, it needed all available +5 stops exposure correction and then some shadow pull-up but it turns out quite well. The effective sensitivity is around ISO 2000 then and the noise isn't even all that bad. Yep, Sony knows a thing or two about sensors.
Raw is amazing

johnson4096

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Dan Johnson
I don't use Lightroom but do use Photoshop and DxO Photo, both of which can do the same thing but maybe with a little more effort required. The new Photoscape X can do it, too, but I've yet to get it worked out as I'm new to the program. So far it's impressing me and the final release ought to be really something.

sven karma

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
mark evans
'how I missed the money shot of cow opening lid of gritting salt container'

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
This is what happens when you hand your camera off to someone, and forget to remind them that you need to press the button on the lens so it focuses on the eye. The camera was in small flexible spot, and is obviously pointing somewhere in the intended background.

Wife: It recognizes your face, but it's not going green.
Me: You're sure you doing it right?
Wife: Yeah, the white box is around your face, but it won't focus there.
Me: Are you pressing the button on the lens, or the back button for eye AF?
Wife: Oh. That did it.

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
I got in a vintage Yashica ML lens today and took it out for a quick couple of test shots. The long exposures at f16-f22 revealed something I wasn't seeing with wide apertures and daylight.
It's not the lens but the sensor. And there's nothing to the naked eye and the rocket blower was no help. I can only surmise it was due to a bad sensor cleaning job. Microscopic stains.

FYI...do take some test shots at a the smallest aperture now and then to inspect your sensor.
Or, you may end up ruining your next outing when you need that aperture with a series of bad pictures. I hate removing spots and dust!

johnson4096

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Dan Johnson
A total exposure fail but it somehow works.

Pentax Spotmatic F, Takumaur 135mm f4. GAF slide film.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom