You get what you pay for

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by TonyTurley, Dec 24, 2013.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I may have mentioned that I bought a set of Yashica Yashikor M42 mount lenses to swap between the Nex-5R and Pentax K-30. I took the Yashikor 28/2.8 out for some sunset pics this evening. I won't post the pics because they were taken with the Pentax, but the photos were junk, and I deleted every one. Granted, I'm still getting used to the K-30, but the coating on the Yashikor flared badly; worse than any lens I've ever seen. The colors were flat and contrast uninspiring. I then removed the Yashikor and stuck the Asahi 50/1.7 back on the K-30, and went to a family Christmas Eve celebration. No flash, bumped the ISO to 3200, and fired away all evening. No Pulitzer stuff, but a lot of darned good photos. Love the coating on the Pentax lens. I may have to get a K-mount adapter and try it on the Nex.

The two Yashikor lenses are in excellent condition, but I'm really disappointed in the performance of the 28. I did try the 135, and it seemed somewhat better, but not as good as the Sakar 135/2.5 or Vivitar 135/2.8. Bummer.

On a brighter note, my wife bought me a nice Sirui tripod for Christmas.

Tony

2. f/otographer

f/otographer TalkEmount Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    Yashikors were older budget lenses. I love Yashica lenses but I would stay for away from Yashikor. I think they were a much earlier lenses in the vein of Yashica YUS lenses...built as very inexpensive options for a particular focal length.

If you are going to use Yashica M42 glass then go for the Yashica Yashinon DS-M. These were the last M42 lenses Yashica made and had incredibly advanced multi coatings on them, every bit the match of Pentax SMC. In fact, as far as I can tell the DS-M lenses are basically the same as the first series of Yashica ML lenses to be made. When Yashica made the deal with Zeiss to do the whole Contax/Yashica thing they simply did a quick redesign of the mount for the DS-M's and put on the C/Y mount instead.

But very true...you get what you pay for.

3. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Thanks for the tip. At least the Yashinon-DX 45/1.7 I bought a few months ago for the Nex is quite good. I remembered from reading some of your earlier posts that some of the M42 Yashica lenses were very good . . . I should have gone back and re-read them before buying. Glad I'm not out a huge sum of money.

Tony

4. f/otographer

Aug 20, 2013
    Sorry about that mate. Yashica DX lenses are very nice. Yashica made several lens lines thru the M42 days. As said, pretty much stay away Yashikors. Yashinons came in three flavors...DX, DS, DS-M. I think in that order. The differences are cosmetic changes and more importantly the coatings. Also as said the last of the M42 Yashinons, the DS-M's, have the best coating and the highest price tag.

The later Yashica ML lenses in the CY mount are really special though. Right up there with the Zeiss glass. Tomioka made all of the lenses mentioned here but the ML's are really nice. The DS-M's are in many cases the same lens just with the older M42 mount. If you can find a Yashinon DS-M 50/1.7 I highly recommend getting one.

• Like Like x 2
  5. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I've noticed any eBay listing with Tomioka in it usually has a high listing price.

6. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I have a Yashinon-DX 50/1.7 and I never use it. It's not that it's bad but it doesn't seem to offer anything extra over my other stuff (mainly Minolta MD lenses).

7. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    My best lenses for the 5R are definitely the Minoltas, and I like the SMC Pentax-M 50/1.7 for the K-30. I have an SMC Pentax-M 28/2.8 and Takumar 135/2.5 on the way. When I get some spare time I'm going to do an inventory of my other legacy lenses and have a fire sale. I think I'm going to try to sell all of the Vivitars but the 200/3.5.

Tony

8. f/otographer

Aug 20, 2013
    Tomioka lenses are ancient artifacts made by the Elves from Unicorn horn and sky iron. Prices are justifiably higher because of this.

9. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    You left out the part about the lens mount being made from Unobtanium. :)

10. f/otographer

Aug 20, 2013
    Actually, and this is a little known fact, the only way to get Unobtanium is to melt down old Tomioka lenses. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    LOL!! Love it. :D