Yet another thread about SD Cards

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by NkedFatWhiteGuy, Jun 28, 2014.

1. NkedFatWhiteGuy

NkedFatWhiteGuy TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Sorry to start a thread that probably exists somewhere else, but I am reaching out for experience with certain SD cards instead of just in general... or at least that is what I will say as a cover ;)

I have always used SanDisk Extreme SD cards (32GB) since they came out. I just bought a Sony last night on the Amazon deal. If memory serves (I am not in a place where I can look for sure), the Extreme is rated at a 45MB/sec and the Sony is rated at like 94MB/sec transfer rates. I think the write speeds AR probably pretty close to eachother so I don't expect any major performance boost while shooting stills or video, but was wondering if anyone could share some experience with the Sony?

I currently am shoot a NEX 6 RAW+JPG and doing some casual video in ACVHD @ 60p (yeah, I know that is probably not the best format for casual video of my kiddo, but I am abitious!) I have an a6000 on order and plan on shooting the same with it.

2. 986ster

986ster TalkEmount Regular

Jan 15, 2013
    For stills, I've found that the NEX-6 buffer is the limiting factor provided you have a half decent card. Upgraded to the new SanDisk Extreme Pro UHS-ii which boasts 250mb/s write speed and noticed no difference over my 45mb/s card. Once the buffer fills up, the action grinds to a halt.

3. NkedFatWhiteGuy

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    That is pretty much what I figured. The bigger numbers always look better though!

Does anyone know how the buffer on the a6000, NEX 6, NEX 7, a7, etc. all compare? It seems like the SanDisk Extreme hits the sweet spot for most of the Sony mirrorless. Is that what most people are finding? There is so much marketing spin on SD card transfer rates...

4. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    Just like 986ster said...once the buffer is full, things slow down.
    I use SanDisk Extreme Plus with 80mb/s...still same results.

5. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    That's because the NEX-6 can't write fast enough on the card. I don't know about newer bodies, but sooner or later, your 250 mb/s card will be faster than your 45 mb/s one. ;)

6. NkedFatWhiteGuy

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    That's really what the question becomes: how quickly can the camera write to the card? If the bus speeds are fast enough in the camera and the card, what is the point where the buffer remains empty? Ideally, with cards rated the way they are (those ratings can be all over the place since they are almost always based on reads and not writes), the camera should be able to stream directly to the card.

I don't know what the bus speeds are nor do I know what the buffer sizes are for the mirrorless bodies. Does anyone else know what they are? Video performance may be the best indicator of that data path...

Does any of this really matter until these bodies are able to utilize faster bus speeds like UHS-II?

https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/bus_speed/

What do you think?

7. NkedFatWhiteGuy

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Oh! I forgot to ask the other main part of my question! ;)

With the ability to utilize the Sony Memory Card media as well, do any of the Sony mirrorless bodies seem to perform "better" with it instead of SD?

8. stephen431

stephen431 TalkEmount Regular

May 2, 2014
    Yeah, Sony needs to upgrade their card bus. The NEX-6 and the a6000 still use the UHS-I bus.

9. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    UHS-I is not that bad, and UHS-II cards are not available that long, so I guess Sony will just incorporate the standard in new cameras next year or so.

10. 986ster

986ster TalkEmount Regular

Jan 15, 2013
    Does anyone know if the NEX-6 buffer space is reserved, or if things like PlayMemories apps eat into it? I would imagine the former, but would be happy to delete a number of them for a bigger buffer.