Yet Another Squirrel (Eastern Chipmunk)

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by dbmiller, May 19, 2012.

1. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Was at a friend's house playing bridge, and brought the camera as they have several bird feeders. Unfortunately, they were a bit out of range, even for the 55-210. I tried going outside to get closer, but kept scaring the birds off. I was able to get fairly close to a ground squirrel, or chipmunk, depending on what you call them where you live. Managed to get two shots off before he spooked...

20120519 Chipmunk 1. 20120519 Chipmunk 2.

I'm tempted to name this image, "Flying Squirrel", due to the fly on the chipmunk's back...

20120519 Chipmunk 1b.

The camera was in Spot Meter mode from an earlier session, so I got two very different exposures. What impresses me is that the brighter shot was at 1/20th and the darker at 1/60th. With the lens at 210mm, that's damn good stabilization!

I will probably use the darker image, but bring up the exposure and such to get closer to the first image, but not lose the highlights. But I can't decide how best to crop this shot. Suggestions appreciated. I'm thinking either to put the chipmunk's eye on the top-left rule of thirds point, or to put the fly there.

20120519 Chipmunk 2a. 20120519 Chipmunk 2b.

The former keeps the shadow of the head in the shot, while the latter has the rock starting at the bottom right corner.
  2. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    The SEL55-210 strikes again!! Man, I can't believe those shutter speeds creating shake-free images at 210mm. Love that fly riding bareback squirrel... :eek:

This forum never ceases to amaze me and the things that go on in here, lol! First we had a british invasion (of new members joining)... then now a squirrel invasion, haha! What next? :D
  3. Bolampau

Bolampau TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 22, 2012
    Lincolnshire, England
    Hi DB,
    that really is a great lens, I'm getting more impatient for my order to come into stock and you guys keep teasing me with all these excellent shots you've taken with it!:rolleyes:

Anyway, I prefer the crop in the second shot but that's just personal preference I guess.

4. Amazing this sharpness. The background is somehow a little restless.
  5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    I would agree that the darker image looks a bitter better.

Very nice.
  6. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico