• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Yet Another Squirrel (Eastern Chipmunk)

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
Was at a friend's house playing bridge, and brought the camera as they have several bird feeders. Unfortunately, they were a bit out of range, even for the 55-210. I tried going outside to get closer, but kept scaring the birds off. I was able to get fairly close to a ground squirrel, or chipmunk, depending on what you call them where you live. Managed to get two shots off before he spooked...

---            
   ---            

I'm tempted to name this image, "Flying Squirrel", due to the fly on the chipmunk's back...

---            

The camera was in Spot Meter mode from an earlier session, so I got two very different exposures. What impresses me is that the brighter shot was at 1/20th and the darker at 1/60th. With the lens at 210mm, that's damn good stabilization!

I will probably use the darker image, but bring up the exposure and such to get closer to the first image, but not lose the highlights. But I can't decide how best to crop this shot. Suggestions appreciated. I'm thinking either to put the chipmunk's eye on the top-left rule of thirds point, or to put the fly there.

---            
   ---            

The former keeps the shadow of the head in the shot, while the latter has the rock starting at the bottom right corner.

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
The SEL55-210 strikes again!! Man, I can't believe those shutter speeds creating shake-free images at 210mm. Love that fly riding bareback squirrel... :eek:

This forum never ceases to amaze me and the things that go on in here, lol! First we had a british invasion (of new members joining)... then now a squirrel invasion, haha! What next? :D

Bolampau

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Paul
Hi DB,
that really is a great lens, I'm getting more impatient for my order to come into stock and you guys keep teasing me with all these excellent shots you've taken with it!:rolleyes:

Anyway, I prefer the crop in the second shot but that's just personal preference I guess.

Cheers,
Paul

Latest posts

Top Bottom