Yet another body A5100

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by davect01, Aug 12, 2014.

1. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    Feels like there's a good selection of bodies already.

I don't want Sony to rush lenses into their lineup. but it'd be nice to see a Zeiss / Sony tiered lens line up, much like Nikon's 1.4G and 1.8G lineup.

3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    More like A5000 with A6000 sensor. No hot shoe, no built-in EVF.

Still, I don't care. I just want a true NEX-7 successor at some point.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Another incremental upgrade. Pentax just released an "upgrade" to their Q line that is basically just a Q7 in a new plastic skin that comes in a dozen or so different colors. Is it really profitable for companies like Pentax and Sony (who also makes the sensors for some Pentax cameras) to go through the expense of tooling up for cameras with such modest changes?

Tony

5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Well, Sony did release the first full-frame, mirror less cameras less than a year ago. Just sayin'. ;)

6. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    These cameras are aimed strictly at the consumer market. And consumers are used to a product refresh at least every 12 months thanks to smartphones, tablets & co. So if a consumer shops for a camera and sees it was released, say, at the end of 2012, he won't buy it and move on to a more recent model. Consumers don't care whether there was any technological progress which would even make a difference, they just want to have the latest thing out there.

• Like Like x 1
  7. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Not anything I am going to get excited about, I am happy with my 6.

However I am glad Sony continues to invest and tweak the line.

• Like Like x 1
  8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave

Ya you are supposed to get the A7. That's the current 7 upgrade.

• Like Like x 1
  9. stephen431

stephen431 TalkEmount Regular

May 2, 2014
    If this one has a touchscreen, it might be a pretty decent camera.

10. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    With a €4k investment in APS-C lenses? Not gonna happen. Also, I don't see a single advantage in 35mm sensors, so why should I "upgrade"? I guess Sony will release a true high-end APS-C E-mount camera once the full frame craze is over in a year or two. If not, well, then I'll have to jump ship sooner or later.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    There is an advantage if you use predominantly old glass. Having the a7r is almost like having a built in nex 6 anyway with a 15mp crop. Just no phase detection that's fine with me.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkNEX mobile app

12. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris

Same here - tempted by the A6000 but waiting.

13. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Or just be happy with the 7 in hand:p

14. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Oh, I am! Couldn't imagine a better camera at the moment. Still, it won't last forever, and when it's time to upgrade in two or three years, I want to have an option.

15. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    It's supposed to have a touch screen and the AF/sensor of the A6000. According the rumor, it is also supposed to be same body and screen as the 5T. These are obviously just rumors but I would think a small camera like the 5T with touch plus and A6000 AF would be fast for selecting your focus point.

Personally, this would a great option if the could incorporate an integrated pop up flash and a spot to attach the viewfinder for the times you want to use one.

16. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    I must admit, I'm a little baffled about this rumor (also posted this morning on SAR: http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-a5100-will-have-the-same-a6000-sensor/ ) and by where Sony is going if this pans out.

If this rumored A5100 really has (1) the A6000's 24MP sensor and advanced hybrid AF, and (2) the 5T's LCD screen (921K dots and touch), and (3) still includes the NFC/WiFi from the A5000, then that is a HUGE upgrade over the A5000. And it puts it just an EVF and a control dial away from the A6000. I'm not sure how this would be priced... it seems to me it'd have to be a bit more than the current A5000, and awfully close to the A6000.

This seems like more of a replacement for the 5T than for the 3N/A5000. WIll Sony keep the A5000 in the line-up for the "entry-level" model? Or will they introduce some new entry-level A3xxx series model, perhaps radically different than the current A3000/A3500? Interesting times.

As for those still looking for a "true" NEX-7 successor, I'm curious... what is that is not in the A7 or the A6000 that you are still looking/hoping for? (How's that for a loaded question? ;) )

17. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Well, the A6000 already is incredibly cheap, so I guess if they sell the A5100 for about 100 bucks less it should be a fair deal. The just need to add an entry level camera with better specs now since the A3000 already was dated when it launched.

As for what the A6000 doesn't have that the NEX-7 has - there are quite a few things.

Number 1 - the Tri-Navi. I know, i know, it starts to get repetitive, but after having used the Tri-Navi for almost a year I will NEVER go back to a camera with another control layout. It's just that perfect.

Number 2 - a better EVF. Yes, the A6000 may have better response times, but having compared both side by side, I have to say I prefer the NEX-7's higher resolution EVF by far. This, at least, is an issue that will be solved within the next few years.

Number 3 - the AF/MF / exposure lock button-switch-combination. Simply a button I need all the time.

Number 4 - built quality. I don't know why this is, but when holding the A6000 in my hand, it feels much cheaper built than the NEX-7. And I may be a weird beast, but I value perceived build quality very high, so I won't downgrade in this regard.

Number 5 - the high-end part. Sure an A6000 successor might get all the mentioned things at some point. But then it's on-par with a camera that launched back in 2011. As the A6000 is a relatively low end product, Sony won't bring new and exciting features to the series until they put it in the higher end bodies for a few years. I don't want to lag a few years behind when buying a new camera, I want to leap ahead. And I want to have features which, unfortunately, are only available in higher end cameras nowadays, like a microphone input, a headphone jack, silent shutter, long exposure live view and so on.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Would a camera that has the A7's body, EVF, control setup and I/O ports, along with its silent first curtain shutter (or even the A7S's completely silent one), but the A6000's 24MP APS-C sensor with its 179 PD AF points, and perhaps an added trick of IBIS on the APS-C sensor in that body, do the trick for ya'? :)

I'm beating a... well, a well-beaten horse, again, but I see that as so very "easy" for Sony to accomplish. All the pieces are in place, and if they want to compete with the likes of Fuji's XT-1 in high-end APS-C mirrorless territory, that seems a simple way to do so. Just sayin'.

Sent from TalkEmount app on iPad

19. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yeah, I agree. Sony could build an awesome high-end APS-C camera without even investing much in R&D. Heck, they could even let the NEX-7 body exactly like it is and just update it with the new UI, a new sensor and some improvements. Unfortunately, the question is not whether Sony can do it, but whether Sony wants to.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Sorry guys (sorry Nick) and gals, I can't resist...
    I own the A3000 and love it, for the most part. And I recognize it does not have the best specs. But an entry level camera body is almost always "dated" in some respects if it wishes to hit an appropriate "entry level" price point. At under US$400 and in a decidedly SLR-alike body style, the A3000 was clearly targeted at the likes of the Canon T3/1100D - the then-current entry-level for Canon DSLRs. Both had similar resolution LCDs, and the A3000 actually has a better sensor and better video capabilities than the T3. In some ways, the A3000 also served as the replacement for the A-mount A37.

Now that Canon has brought out the T5 with a better LCD and better sensor, I agree that Sony needs to up its game at the entry-level. As such, my hope is that Sony brings out a "true" A3000 successor ( :) ) that at least adds the A5000's LCD screen (w/o the tilt perhaps), HDMI-out, and maybe an added button or dial along with the new menu system. While I wouldn't upgrade - I'm heading up the line when funds permit - it would strengthen Sony's introductory ILC offering if they did at least those things.

Sent from TalkEmount app on iPad

• Like Like x 1