1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Yay or Nay: Zhongyi (Mitakon) Lens Turbo

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Synomis192, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Synomis192

Synomis192 TalkEmount Regular

May 26, 2013
    I've been building up my MD collection so my arsenal contains a 19/3.8, 28/2.8, 50/1.7, and 135/2.8. Not all of them are great glass. The 28mm/135mm are Celtic Lenses and the 19mm is a Vivitar.

I've considering getting a Lens Turbo for the MD glass that I have because:

1. I like the idea of shooting almost at a Full-Frame FOV. My 19mm/28mm will be actually UWA/WA lenses :D

2. The fact that it lets in about 1-stop more light in makes me feel like I can tackle anything with it.

3. More of a technical reason: The glass can stop the dust from getting in contact with the sensor.

So, to the people who have and used the Lens Turbo; Doesn't matter what mount (FD,Nikon,PK) Were you happy with how the images come out and are you happy with the Lens Turbo.

I'm getting mixed reactions everywhere and I can't seem to find a decent review. Some say that there's a blue spot when shooting at high-contrast/small aperture settings. Others say that ghosting is too unbearable, yet some don't experience any ghosting.

I just want some straight answers. So I'm taking a poll (Too bad there's no poll feature for posts that'd come in handy :D)

Let me know your stance on the Lens Turbo adapter and why you are taking that stance. :D

2. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    Hello

I haven't actually tried the Zhongyi, so normally I wouldn't comment. But I did some research a while back with a mind to getting one for my Minolta legacy lenses.

What I could gather from other users' experiences, the MD version of the Lens Turbo is the most problematic, with a number of optical issues, especially at wide apertures.

Some people seem to accept it or even like it. But with the reported issues, it just wasn't for me.

When I want full frame performance from my Rokkor lenses, I put them on my X-700, load some Kodak Ektar and snap away :)

3. Synomis192

Synomis192 TalkEmount Regular

May 26, 2013
    Thanks for quick reply :D

That's a little disappointing to hear that the MD version is sub-par compared to the other mounts.

I shot film for a good 4 years because of High School/College classes. I loved my trusty Canonet QL117. A pocketable rangefinder with a 40mm/1.7. It's never failed me and I cherish it to death.

4. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I had one, then sold it. Yes there was a blue dot and ghosting, had to be in certain lighting.

I could have kept it.

I may get another, the prices are dropping. I think they are down to about 160 usd.

It's worth to try it for yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkNEX mobile app

5. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    I have the FD Lens Turbo. Yah or Nay depends on your usage and expectation. I treat it as a special tool like the lensbaby.

I'd say wait a little longer. The price will drop more when Metabones releases their Speed Booster version. If you can afford it, get the Speed Booster over the Lens Turbo.