1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Yates Mill, North Carolina

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by roundball, Nov 5, 2015.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Yates Mill, Raleigh, NC
    Yates grist mill was built in 1756, now restored / functional.
    ( Corn grinding tours conducted every couple weeks )

Since everything this morning was still heavy overcast & clouds, there was not much benefit to shooting it in color so I shot it in Infrared / Monochrome as another learning experience.
    Canon FDn 24-35/3.5-L, IR/NEX-7

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Love these places.

3. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Very cool!!

4. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    A very interesting place for sure...was also a good challenge for me to rely totally on IR

5. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    How long were your exposures?

6. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Some in the 15-30 second range...experimented with combinations of ND filters to effect the water.
    Definitely a trade off though because if there's any breeze at all leaves become blurry, etc

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Yep. that's always a dilemma when trees are in the frame and you want to do LE. The said, I think the LE effect on these work well. However, I am not a fan of the IR in this set. I may be wrong, but I can't help but imagine how these would look in color with the different textures of wood, brick, water, and foliage in these images.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Understand IR doesn't seem to be for everybody...to me it's a learning exercise about another segment of photography.
    Was also testing the Canon FDn 24-35/3.5-L zoom with IR...as well as various ND filter combinations...couldn't be more pleased with how everything worked...and in IR at that.

If we ever GET some sunshine here again I plan to go back and also shoot it in color...hopefully this weekend while there are at least a few leaves still on some trees...it's only 30 minutes from the house and suspect I'll make several more trips over time.

• Like Like x 2
  9. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Looked up specifics on the example below...got the effect on water I was after but unfortunately lost sharpness in leaves...and not even a real long exposure.
    ISO100, F22, 6 stops neutral density, 10 second exposure.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  10. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I must be living under a star this week...local TV station selected this photo and aired it...and after putting it on their FB page its approaching 700 "likes"...and I just got an email from Shutterfly for a free 16x20 print...I should probably run out and buy a lottery ticket !
    :)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Congrats on the <3 always feels nice to be appreciated! you will probably always be your hardest critic (or so i've been told ;) )

12. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Congrats roundball! That's really cool

13. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Agree, I believe we're all that way...approaching anything with a serious effort to try and improve all the time is a good news / bad news sort of thing...when I look at some shots I took / posted in the past I now cringe at the faults with them that I was oblivious to at the time...suspect that will always be the case through the natural progression

• Agree Agree x 1