Yates Mill, North Carolina

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by roundball, Nov 5, 2015.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Love these places.

3. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Very cool!!

4. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    A very interesting place for sure...was also a good challenge for me to rely totally on IR

5. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    How long were your exposures?

6. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Some in the 15-30 second range...experimented with combinations of ND filters to effect the water.
    Definitely a trade off though because if there's any breeze at all leaves become blurry, etc

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Yep. that's always a dilemma when trees are in the frame and you want to do LE. The said, I think the LE effect on these work well. However, I am not a fan of the IR in this set. I may be wrong, but I can't help but imagine how these would look in color with the different textures of wood, brick, water, and foliage in these images.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Understand IR doesn't seem to be for everybody...to me it's a learning exercise about another segment of photography.
    Was also testing the Canon FDn 24-35/3.5-L zoom with IR...as well as various ND filter combinations...couldn't be more pleased with how everything worked...and in IR at that.

If we ever GET some sunshine here again I plan to go back and also shoot it in color...hopefully this weekend while there are at least a few leaves still on some trees...it's only 30 minutes from the house and suspect I'll make several more trips over time.

• Like Like x 2
  9. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Looked up specifics on the example below...got the effect on water I was after but unfortunately lost sharpness in leaves...and not even a real long exposure.
    ISO100, F22, 6 stops neutral density, 10 second exposure.

View attachment 65739

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  10. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I must be living under a star this week...local TV station selected this photo and aired it...and after putting it on their FB page its approaching 700 "likes"...and I just got an email from Shutterfly for a free 16x20 print...I should probably run out and buy a lottery ticket !
    :)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Congrats on the <3 always feels nice to be appreciated! you will probably always be your hardest critic (or so i've been told ;) )

12. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Congrats roundball! That's really cool

13. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Agree, I believe we're all that way...approaching anything with a serious effort to try and improve all the time is a good news / bad news sort of thing...when I look at some shots I took / posted in the past I now cringe at the faults with them that I was oblivious to at the time...suspect that will always be the case through the natural progression

• Agree Agree x 1