1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Yashinon DX 45 1.7: Electro GSN -> E-Mount

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Martytoof, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Martytoof

Martytoof TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 23, 2013
    Hi all.

I have a Yashica Electro 35 GSN that's given up the ghost mechanically. I'd like to hack the lens to work with my 5N, and I see that it's been successfully adapted to E-mount and M43, only I'm having a hard time finding a step by step guide. I am not terribly worried about removing the lens itself, but modifying the lens to remove the copal shutter and then achieving focus to infinity are both things I'm not too sure how to achieve.

Is there a step by step guide anywhere? I'd be happy to document my own teardown/rebuild if that's what's necessary, but I was hoping someone had something that is more than just 5 or 6 in-progress photos.

I'm going to scour the net while my C-mount adapter from Hong Kong takes its predicted two to three week trip to Canada, but after that it's full steam ahead!

Thanks!

2. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    I have the Yashinon 50mm f1.7 and is one of my favorites lens, I especially for to B/W, use M42 mount.

3. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Funny you should ask this. That was my plan, as I purchased a "broken" Yashica Electro 35 GSN on eBay for a very good price. However, it arrived Saturday, and it is in near showroom condition. It almost seems a shame to tear into such an attractive camera. I think I'm going to look at it closely and see if it can be repaired, and if so, I may end up playing in film a little.

Tony

4. Martytoof

Martytoof TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 23, 2013
    Oh excellent! I hope you don't mind if I send you a few questions if I run into any trouble? :)

Specifically, right now I'm having some trouble removing the shutter components. I disassembled the lens to its basic parts, but I have no idea how to remove the black plate that is holding all the shutter components in. I don't see any screws on either side, unfortunately.

For reference, this is the part I'm talking about:

From the back:
    GaW0Q7k.

From the front:
    BY62dJn.

5. Purushotham Racharla

Purushotham Racharla TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 7, 2013
    Bangalore, India.
    Purushotham Racharla
    Sorry I forgot to mention that you will need the repair manual. A very detailed repair manual is availble on net and it covers even the minute details about disamntling the whole lense and shutter. Here are the 2 links.

Yashica Electro Repair Manual

erik fiss | galleries | Yashica Electro 35 Repair Manual

I would suggest you to down load both. The first one gives you detaied instructions, while the 2nd is a short cut to the same pages having diagrams , for quick acecess.

In my case I discarded every pat that wasnt needed to reduce over all weight.
    The only things i left inside were the glass and aperture mechanism. IT is a good idea not to disturb the aperrture blades. You will need to remove the rear part of barrel which is secured by a ring nut, then more parts are accesible.
    You will alo discard the shuuter cocking mechanism as well as shuuter release mechanism.

Remember to paint back if you made any scratched the blackened internal surface.

Good luck.