Showcase Yashica Yashinon-Dx 45mm f/1.7

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by TonyTurley, Aug 18, 2013.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Converted from an Electro 35 GSN (not by me). Early pics are promising. The garden pics are from yesterday's sunny afternoon, and the rose pics were taken in this morning's wee hours under the soft glow of a porch light. First rose pic was at f/1.7, and the second at f/5.6. I like the second better.

Tony

DSC05382_zps03fe18b9.

DSC05393_zps80c3ff0b.

DSC05392_zps4635cc46.

DSC05391_zpsf713a8eb.

DSC05402_zps2e8b7a99.

DSC05401_zpsc0eb38d9.

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Looking good so far. :)

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    The flowers are lovely, but some of the butterflies are not as clear as they could be.

4. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Better?

Attached Files:

5. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    A few more taken this afternoon, between rain showers and under a hazy sky with lots of bright, diffuse light punching through the overcast. A line of imbedded T-storms has arrived, so outdoor photography is done for the day.

Tony

DSC05403_zps746758ae.

DSC05406_zps3aa18ea1.

DSC05405_zps06e44d90.

DSC05412_zps0f87344a.

6. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    . . . after a few minutes in ye olde digital darkroom:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  7. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Very nice

8. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Just testing the Yashinon-DX 45/1.7 on my new NEX-6.

Tony

DSC00002-1_zps66ae9545.

DSC00004-1_zpsfaa4aedc.

DSC00005-1_zps74de6a07.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  9. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    love that processed shot! Also curious about what is involved in adapting the electro 35 lens, as I have a dead electro 35 sitting on the shelf :D

10. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Thanks. It is a pretty involved process, due to the way the lens is mounted on the body. I used to have web links and an e-mail address for a guy on talkemount who did the conversion, but I deleted all of them recently when I was cleaning out my inbox. I also have an old GSN, which I'm just using as eye candy on my shelf. It is a handsome camera.

Tony

• Like Like x 2
  11. NkedFatWhiteGuy

NkedFatWhiteGuy TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    I have 1 for "eye candy" and 1 that is a shooter. I would love to make better use of the one sitting on the bench!

12. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    That lens isn't easy to convert. It doesn't have aperture but a leaf shutter that works as aperture and shutter. I think it needs a helicoid too. This was from a speedy Google search so I might be wrong too.

13. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I think you are correct. Fortunately, I didn't have to do the conversion myself, but I studied the photos I had at one point. I may have been able to pull it off, but I'm glad I was able to find one that had been professionally adjusted. It is a unique piece of work, as much art as science.

Tony

EDIT: In case you guys haven't seen this I had posted in an earlier thread. My 5R and Electro 35 GSN, with matching lenses.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  14. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    This has been very nice discussion. I found this in Ebay:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/IRIS-DIAPHR...111?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec99c24f7

I hope somebody would made similar for M39 too. Aperture block+helicoid+homebrewed optics could be nice. Optical assembly isn't so hard as it is essentially a tube that has lenses inside. M42 flanges are available from same seller.

15. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    That is interesting. I have to tip my hat at people who are proficient at these kind of conversions. I'm sure I could learn it, but I don't have the tools to do machining, such as the E-mount ring that is on my lens.

Tony

• Like Like x 1
  16. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    The lens sure looks sweet on your camera

Sent from my MB526 using TalkEmount mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  17. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    There are M42 to E-mount flange adapters (that is, disks that have flange with 42mm screw hole inside and e-mount outside). You put a aperture adapter (with M42 male and female threads) and M42 helicoid to it and you have almost ready mechanism for lens. You need only take any lens without mechanism and fix it to that. A M39 to M42 flange adapter is handy for attaching the lens/optical assembly to the mechanical assembly. I think that I am doing this after summer. I already have the helicoid but I will order longer one as I am thinking to build a tele lens (poor optics experimentation).

18. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Good luck with that, and please share with us how it goes.

Tony