Showcase Yashica ML 50mm f1.9

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by applemint, Oct 17, 2012.

1. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    These Yashica ML lenses are very under-rated and can be picked up at low prices. There is an f1.7 and f1.9 and an f2.0 as well as an f1.4.

I have the ML 50mm f1.9 and f2.0 and this is from the 1.9 with a Raynox 150 clipped on the front:

2. apotelyt

apotelyt TalkEmount Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    Was it shot wide open?
  3. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    No the narrow depth of field is from the Raynox, I think this was probably 5.6 as I remember it was the first picture I took when I got the lens and I wanted to test the lens, but it was early evening and the light in the garden was rapidly fading. (But normally with the Raynox on the front I would use f8 or f11 to get as much dof as possible but still be able to handhold + avoid diffraction).

Unfortunately I have been a bit lax about taking a note of what pictures where taken with what lens (no lens exif data with legacy lenses) so I have others pictures which I am fairly sure were taken with the Yashica f1.9 but I am not 100% certain. :eek: But this one I know for sure was as I remember taking it as soon as I got the lens and also uploaded it to my Flickr with the Yashica 1.9 tag just after taking it.

Speaking of flickr, there is a review of this lens here: Flickr: Discussing Lens Review: Yashica ML 50/1.9 in EOS Cameras and Manual Lenses which includes some photos shot wide open.
  4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
  5. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Lovely smooth bokeh. I have always wondered how much of Contax technologies may have made its way to the Yashica lenses.