1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

X-Rite ColorChecker Passport

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Jefenator, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I don't have a very advanced knowledge of fine color adjustments, and am not particularly keen to be going very far down that rabbit hole. Shooting a color card, dragging a DNG file onto an app and choosing the new custom profile in Lightroom [then making it the default], that I can do.
    There are a few colors the A7 seemed to struggle with. The top shot here with Adobe's "Camera Standard" is wrong.
    cc-bowl.
    Last spring I wrestled with HSL to try and get it closer for the online store. Now with the app-generated profile, it's pretty much automatic. Since most of my shooting is to sell glass art, I'm kind of kicking myself for waiting so long to try this.
    If you want to get particular, you can generate a profile for each different light source. (Or even combine two sources for an "all-purpose" profile.) I don't have a proper daylight sample yet (January in Oregon, might take awhile) but the one I made with my tungsten light looks pretty good on landscapes! ("Camera Standard" on top w/ contrast & saturation added, ColorChecker profile w/ no adjustments on bottom.) cc-land.
    I'll try a "daylight" profile as soon as I catch a little sun (easier said than done in Oregon in January). I didn't really get the ColorChecker for landscapes but I have to say, I like this look better than anything else I've gotten in Lightroom, thus far.
    My Canon camera used to render colors somewhat differently than the Sony. After profiling it, it looks like I'll be able to interchange the two more: (Sony on left, Canon on right - exposures adjusted to match.) cup-ccprofile. It's not quite a perfect match, but it's close enough for my slightly color-deficient vision and my online store buyers who don't calibrate their monitors.:)
    There are other systems and techniques for doing this sort of stuff but thus far I'm pretty excited about the ease and the results with this X-Rite "Passport".

2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    The X-Rite Colorchecker Passport is very easy to use and works well enough indeed, although I must say I got better results with the X-Rite Colorchecker chart using the free Adobe DNG Profile Editor; cheaper too, but more steps in the process. Especially the reds were difficult to get right, you can see the saturation of that patch change when varying the angle to the light source. I'd never have done profiling, were it not that the Panasonic G1 didn't produce likeable colors with the available profiles in Lightroom/Camera Raw. My A7 benefitted a bit but doesn't really need custom profiling to my taste. When mixing and matching files from two different cameras I readily believe it's an absolute necessity.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Finally got a chance to get a sunlit sample and make a profile from that. Definitely different than the tungsten one.
    Pictured below are: "Adobe Standard", Sunlit Profile, Tungsten Profile
    adstd-tung-dayl.
    So... yeah. Apparently multiple profiles are a necessity. There is the option to generate a profile from 2 DNGs for a "one size fits all" profile. I'll probably just keep the "Tungsten" as the default, since I'm most concerned about accuracy for studio product shots. (I also do like the way it makes the daylit scene look like a Canon JPEG. :D But the correct profile definitely looks more natural.)

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2