Wrist straps

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by dixeyk, Jun 23, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I am a big fan of Gordy straps but the NEX doesn't use lugs and I don't particualrly like the Gordy string mount straps. The only alternative one I have seen so far is the Octopus wrist strap (see below) on eBay but of course it never having seen one in person I am a bit hesitant. I suppose I could just use the regular Gordy strap and deal with it.

Any suggestions?

2. jton

jton TalkEmount Rookie

Jun 19, 2012
    I'm rocking the Crumpler Noose. We just got these in at the camera store I work at so I jumped on it.

3. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    I'm currently using that Octopus wrist strap for the very same reason. The wrist strap itself is cotton webbing with a plastic band that can be drawn closer to the wrist for extra security if needed. There are no metal bits that can scratch the camera body. The lug strap is nylon and feels very secure overall. It's lighter than it appears on the photo but it's not flimsy. It's not too long so that when I completely let go of the body, I can grab it again with the one hand. I'm happy with mine.

MIR-104.

4. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Cool...that is exactly what I was hoping to hear.

5. Ray Vardy

Ray Vardy TalkEmount Regular

I can't find a Uk outlet for the Octopus wrist strap, dang it.

6. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    I'm using the OP/TECH USA Cam Strap - QD
    It's inexpensive and works relatively well. I like that you can buy the QD connectors separately and share the strap among cameras.

7. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    I'm sure there's other options in your area, if you know which features to look out for. Try to avoid those with metal rings that loop around the NEX body lug. The hole through the lug is a narrow slit and the metal rings do bind - which may mar the body or the lug itself. They'll work, but I think a strap is better as the lug is designed for that. If you're gonna be using legacy lenses with heavier optics, you really do need a heavy-duty wrist strap of some sort.

Yeah, no outlet for the Octopus strap in NZ either, so I had to order mine from Taiwan.

8. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I gave in and bought mine from eBay (Taiwan) as well. It'll be here in a few weeks. I'll check back and let folks know what I think of it.

9. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Yeah it looked like a metal ring wouldn't be the best idea.

10. Ray Vardy

Hey

Yep eBay for me too, god only knows when / if it will arrive..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

11. Ray Vardy

12. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Ooooh... I like the look of that one too!

Not to worry Ray, you'll need two straps for your back-up 5N body... right? (Saves having to change lenses all the time, hehe)... ;)

13. Electric Shepherd

Electric Shepherd TalkEmount Regular

May 12, 2012
    Leicestershire, U.K.
    Ben
    Here's an incidental snap of the strap fitted:

[​IMG]

It's all leather and works well in the hand.

14. Ray Vardy

Damn wish I'd seen that before my eBay order! It looks goooood :)

15. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Yeah that Gariz strap looks pretty tasty. If you decide to sell the Octopus I'd just post it on the Buy/Sell here and maybe on the sister site at Serious Compacts. It'll sell there no problem.

16. Ray Vardy

So my Octopus strap arrived yesterday, it's great a lot slimmer than and light weight than expected, I don't see myself replacing it in the near future.!

17. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Cool! What colour did you get?

I tossed between the olive drab and the black, but got the black in the end.

18. Ray Vardy

I went for the err light coloured one, second from the front in the photo (hehe what colour is that?)

19. Jeff Spangle

Jeff Spangle TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 6, 2012
    Leicestershire, UK
    If you want a cheaper alternative, why not try a Nintendo Wii controller wrist strap? The advantage is it can be adjusted to your wrist size so it can't fall off/down

[​IMG]

Attached Files: