1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Wrapped Nex-7

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by clydestuh, Jul 3, 2013.

1. clydestuh

clydestuh TalkEmount Regular

Jul 3, 2013
    Vinyl wrapped my 7, so I'd like to share:

ImageUploadedByTalkNEX1372843215.683334.
    ImageUploadedByTalkNEX1372843255.966529.
    ImageUploadedByTalkNEX1372843292.300127.
    ImageUploadedByTalkNEX1372843364.633364.

I used carbonfiber vinyl auto wrap and a bit of patience. I didn't like any cases out there or found them a bit bulky so I went this route. Feel free to shoot me questions or comments.

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Very nice.

I agree about the cases, too bulky for me.

3. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
  4. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Looks like a Hasselblad Lunar.

5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Nice!!!

6. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    Looks great. I bet it took a little more than a "bit" of patience ;-).

7. clydestuh

Jul 3, 2013
    Thanks! You guys rock! It wasn't as bad as I thought. I got the idea from another forum but the Nex7 user only covered the rear of the camera and parts of his kit lens. I would say about a solid 2 hours to cover the whole body after u get things rollin. It's not a bad time investment when adding scratch, dust protection to your investment and making it look unique at the same time!

8. clydestuh

Jul 3, 2013
    But not as bulky xD

9. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    Really nice work. But these photos are really bad for my pedantic streak... I simply don't want my 7 to look any different from the day I lifted it from that glorious flocked box...

10. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Interesting treatment. Was this more for protection (you mentioned cases) or more for appearance?

11. clydestuh

Jul 3, 2013
    It was appearance at first of course, but it also took away the worry of having to place it down carefully anywhere (my bag, rocky ground, etc) in a dire situation. I also had the camera in a case when I first bought my 7, but found it more cumbersome than useful.

12. neebro

neebro New to TalkEmount

Jun 25, 2013
    How did you cut out the buttons for the holes so perfectly?

13. clydestuh

Jul 3, 2013
    It was a bit of a learning curve in the beginning but:

1) I measured the length x width of side I wanted to wrap.

2) I placed the wrap, covering the whole side.

3) Felt around with my finger tips where the buttons are then indented the around the hollow places with my fingernails. I did this as I heated the vinyl so it would adhere around the buttons, curves, and hollow pockets.

4) (This is where you take a deep breath) I used a small bladed Exacto knife and gently make small cuts around the indents where the hollow spaces are. Making sure I only do small and gentle cuts ON THE VINYL.

5) Eventually the small cuts perforate and u can easily lift the cut vinyl off the buttons and other places u didn't want vinyl on.

6) I ran my fingernails where the hollow places around the buttons with a lil heat to further adhere the vinyl into the deep pockets more. Voila! The result is clean and looks like a custom job from Sony :)

14. Hypocaffeinic

Hypocaffeinic TalkEmount Regular

Jun 16, 2013
    Qld, Australia
    Wow - this must have needed several small pieces to wrap those curves and angles, and making the joins close and so neat must've been tricky. So this is for protection as well as for looks? How would you go about getting it off again, does it come off cleanly? It looks bloody amazing but this would be my greatest concern, I'm thinking if it's for protection the vinyl will take the bumps and scrapes without marking the body underneath, but if you can't get back to the body underneath without lots of sticky residue then this wouldn't really count much for protection, especially if the vinyl would mark more easily.

15. clydestuh

Jul 3, 2013
    I used 3M automotive vinyl rated to protect a cars finish for up to 10 years. 3M vinyl sheets do not leave a sticky residue when removed and is easy to work with. I had experience wrapping and I learned from watching YouTube video tutorials.

You're right it took several small pieces and the carbonfiber pattern was easy to line up. Just took patience and a passion to protecting my 7 and making it stand out from the rest :) (and a bit of perfectionism on my part lol)

16. clydestuh

Jul 3, 2013
    By several pieces I meant:

1 piece for the back
    1 strip for the bottom
    1 strip for the top
    1 piece with an opening big enough to fit the front lens mount
    1 small piece for the side (hdmi,USB, microphone input cover)

17. Hypocaffeinic

Hypocaffeinic TalkEmount Regular

Jun 16, 2013
    Qld, Australia
    Oh fantastic - if it comes off easily then that's perfect! Plus you could use the old pieces as templates for the new ones. :D

18. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    This looks awesome, it looks like a $7000 Hasselblad Lunar.

19. clydestuh

Jul 3, 2013
    Templates that I could share perhaps :D

20. clydestuh

Jul 3, 2013
    Yes chipping away a block of wood for the handles as we speak x)