1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Would you get an Auto-Takumar 55/1.8 if you already had these 50s ?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Amamba, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I felt the need for a 50mm prime - which I have been without for a while - and went on a shopping spree.

So now I have Minolta MC 50/1.7 (eBay), Minolta MD 50/1.7 in 55 mm filter diameter, SMC Pentax-M 50/2 and SMC Pentax-M 50/1.7 (all CL finds, cost me peanuts).

That 50/1.7 Pentax is very nice, as sharp as Minoltas but lighter and smaller and with less warm colors (so in some lighting situations it actually seems to produce better / more accurate skin tones).

Now, I also located an Auto-Takumar 55/1.8 on CL, for $20. The owner says it's in great shape. I would need an adapter for it since it's a M42 mount lens. I assume it's an earlier version (not "SMC").

The question is - would there be a good reason to get it now that I am aflush in 50's ? I read all the reviews I could find but very few of them are comparative.

The focal length is a bit longer than I'd like.

Any opinions ?

2. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    I'd recommend you look for a Minolta 58 f1.4.

3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    These can have yellowed glass elements, beware. Long time ago I had one and sold it because of the yellow casts it produced.

4. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Minolta or Tak ?

5. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    The Minolta 1.4/58 at least, don't know about the Takumars.

• Like Like x 1
  6. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    Ad, I have a Min 58, what would be a good test to run to see how yellow the lens is or isn't?
    It would have to be done with my Nex-7 since the adapter won't fit on my A7ii.

7. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    In my experience yellowing is mostly so pronounced that you can easily see it by looking through the lens at a white paper, that way you can compare the view through the lens with the direct view on the paper. In theory you should be able to correct the yellow cast in post but I wasn't successful with that, couldn't get the colors right in Lightroom that way.

8. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I thought I had read you could get rid of the yellowing just by exposing it to UV (for instance setting it in the sun for a while).

Not true?

9. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Didn't try it with sunlight, afraid that the heat would cause lubricants to spill over to the diaphragm leaves. There's a guy who says you can get rid of it by exposing it to an Ikea LED lamp; tried that with a Minolta 2.5/28mm which is infamous for getting yellow lens elements and after 3 weeks of continuous exposure the discoloration was substantially decreased but certainly not gone.

10. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    I'll see if I can set up a test shot real quick here.

11. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    DSC05447.JPG
    Straight out of the camera, jpg, shot with white paper illuminated by a 6 bulb LED flashlight. Maybe I need more light?

12. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    DSC05450.JPG
    Here we go. Used flash this time around.
    Does it look yellow on your monitor?

13. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    DSC05451.JPG
    Test paper on clip board. Wide open f1.4, hand held SOOC jpg. N-7 Min 58mm.

14. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Looks perfect on mine.

15. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    Shining the light thru it, it doesn't appear to have any glow to it. I think I have a good copy. It's a little loose on the focus, ie it has some backlash when you change directions, but, it doesn't effect it in use. I just wish the adapter I had for it would work on my A7ii. I'll have to look at it more closely to see why it's not working.

16. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    The adapter won't fit the A7ii because of the tighter tolerances of the all-metal mount. The older adapters had a bit more thickness to fit tighter on the looser mounts.
    Some of the adapter makers now list if their model is compatible with A7ii A7Rii.

I recently got a copy of the MC 58 f/1.4. Similar with a bit of looseness in the focusing, but in great condition otherwise. No yellowing detected.
    Interesting though, I wasn't aware this model used Thorium doped elements. Aware of it for the 28mm f/2.5, and I do have a copy in need of service with yellowed glass. Hope the UV treatment will be effective.

17. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I may not be qualified to give you my advice, given that you feel 4 manual-focus vintage lenses equate to being aflush with nifty-fifties. :)
    Because it all depends on how you are approaching this hobby. Some would think 1 is too many given that you already have the SEL5018, why do you need another, less advanced 50? Or those who gauge their collection of lenses based on focal length...you have 50mm covered, etc.
    I say, evaluate your priorities of what you want out of a lens. From the above, it's portraits, as skin tone accuracy is paramount.
    The older Auto Takumar will render with a notably different characteristic than the newer SMC Pentax-M. Hell, the Pentax models in between them rendered quite distinctly.
    As you've stated, it costs peanuts. And $20 for the Auto Tak is a steal (if it's the high count bladed one). Collectors pay over $100 for a good copy.

Like Croc Dundee said, "That's not a knife....now this, is a knife!" You are not aflush with only 4 lenses. And the narrow brand and models to Minolta and Pentax-M, are not indicative of the depth and breadth of rendering characteristics of the 50-58mm category. My curiosity and desire to discover the distinctiveness of brands and individual models, have truly produced an 'aflush with 50s' situation. I have more fifties than most people have lenses. Overkill to some, just a drop in the bucket to others. It all depends on your goals. Personally, it has allowed me to gain the knowledge and experience of which brand, line, and models that give me the most satisfaction. And the understanding why some have their fans and strong following.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I no longer have SEL50, I realized at some point that I haven't been using it in a year and ended up selling it. Don't know why, but it's far easier for me to pick up & use a manual 50 than that SEL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Ah!

20. mnhoj

mnhoj TalkEmount Regular

Aug 19, 2013
    I have these, a 50mm 1.8oss, and a Super Takumar 55mm 1.8. So I live right now with a little redundancy.
    To be honest the Takumar is the funnest of them all.
    It's focus is the smoothest of all the lenses I've owned.

28991136431_792f08a59b_b. HEX by john matsu, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1