1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Would there be any interest in an ongoing review contest?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Amin Sabet, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I think we have the best dedicated E-mount community on the web, and I'd like to get more of the visiting guests to sign up and join the fun.

I have a budget of about $100 per month and was wondering what the members thought about having a monthly review contest. Basically, members could use the Reviews forum to post brief reviews of their gear (cameras, lenses, bags, accessories, etc), as short or long as they want.

Then once per month I would send $100 to one reviewer or $50 each to two reviewers, or the equivalent in gift certificates if they preferred that. The "winning" reviews could be determined either by post ratings (likes, etc), a poll at the end of the month, or by my judgment, depending on what members think is more appropriate.

What do you think? Good idea? Bad idea? Would you participate?

• Like Like x 3
  2. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    We do have the best dedicated E-mount community. Thank you for that.

Is the idea to attract more traffic in general? There are so many reviewers out there now on sites large and small, and youtube, I think it might be hard to get attention. If the subjects were perhaps more everyday rather than whatever is new/hot, maybe it could work.

I would read and vote - maybe write something. Thing is, I don't go through a lot of different gear any more personally, so I might run out of things to review.

I am curious to what everyone else here thinks about it.

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    We actually get a lot of traffic here. But not a lot of people who visit decide to sign up or look around very much. The figures below pretty much tell the story.

30days.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

In the above figures, "User" means anyone who visits the site (whether guest or member). As you can see, just as many people visit here as Nikon Cafe, but on average, there are far fewer page views per user on this site compared with Mu-43 or Nikon Cafe.

I think the reason for that is that the mix here favors photography more than gear, which is excellent, but not as much of a "hook" to someone just passing through. Gear can be the draw while the community is still strong on photography. Hence I was thinking some more gear reviews might do the trick.

I think if nothing else, it would make for interesting and useful reading for other members. Someone could review anything from a camera bag, to a strap, to a lens. At the end of the month, I put up a poll of all the reviews from that month. Maybe it could be $50 gift certificate to the one with the most votes and two $25 gift certificates to the two with the next most votes?

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. fractal

fractal TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    I'm up for it and think its a great idea. I think you @Amin Sabet@Amin Sabet should do the voting to avoid any conflict of interests.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
  6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I like the idea, and I think selecting a winner by poll would be the most likely process to engage forum visitors. Plus, I might learn a few things. Of course, it would also engage my GAS. So I’d have to win a few of those polls. :laugh:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. fractal

fractal TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    I think you pick the winner(s).

Fstoppers has been running a photo contests with community voting and all you have to do is read the comments to see what a joke that's become. Not saying it would happen here but I've read your reviews and have faith that you be objective and fair.

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    How about we have two $50 winners each month - one is by poll and the other one is "Amin's choice"?

9. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Polls are almost always problematic. This is a decent enough group that I think we would be fair, but if visitor engagement brings in a lot more people then who knows.

Maybe the two awards is a good compromise. The People's Choice award, and The Administrator's Award?

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.