Would the Sigma 19mm be a good complement to the Zeiss 24mm?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by zhoskins, Aug 9, 2013.

1. zhoskins

zhoskins New to TalkEmount

Jun 29, 2013
    I'm almost definitely going to be purchasing the Carl Zeiss 24mm f1.8. I also own the 16-50 PZ, and a Canon FD 50mm f1.4.

For landscapes though, I thought that I might require a wider angle lens. Is the Sigma 19mm a different enough focal length from the 24mm to make a significant difference? Does it have noticeably better image quality than the kit lens?
  2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Well if you don't already have the camera & kit lens, when you get them you can zoom out to 19 & 24 and shoot the same scene and see if they are different enough for you.

Is the IQ better with the 19 over the kit zoom (either one)? Depends on your output needs. For web posts or 4x6 prints any of them will be fine. For large prints the 19 would probably be better.
  3. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Tough call. When I was in Greece, there were a lot of times when the 19 was too wide, and the 30 wasn't wide enough. So I finally gave in and bought the 24. I've been favoring the 24, and I also have the CV12, so I've got quite a range I can flip through.

I would look at what you've shot with the 16-50 and see which of the two focal lengths you have used more. And also take the 16-50 out one day and just leave it at 24mm or 19mm and see how comfortable you are with each focal length.

But if you have the budget and can still find the original Sigma 19/30 lenses for $100 each (or $200 for the pair), the lens(es) are well worth it.

If I were starting over, I'd definitely have the CZ24, but might consider the Touit 12 over the Sigma 19.
  4. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    I love my SEL24 and use it most often.

I do find that the Sigma 19mm is nice to have handy when you want to get just a bit wider. It doesn't take up much room, gives very nice results and is a total no-brainer IMHO at used or closeout prices.

Ditto the Sigma 30mm for slightly more boxed-in scenes. (I actually use this more often than the 19mm.)