1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Would love Auto ISO in manual mode on NEX 6

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Fundadores, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Fundadores

Fundadores TalkEmount Regular

Oct 14, 2013
    Does anyone know why there is no auto ISO in manual mode? I shoot a lot of street and would love Auto ISO setting. I usually use my SEL35F18 and now I can either choose between an fast shutter speed to avoid blurry images, with the risk of the depth of field being too narrow, the NEX 6 usually sets it at f4. Or Choose a better depth of field for street at f8-11, with the risk of a too slow shutter speed (camera sets it to 1/60 and I would prefer no less than 1/250) which can cause blurry images. When shooting street you often move from light to shade and there is little time to adjust settings. A bit frustrating as an Auto ISO in manual mode would do the trick I guess, or are there technical difficulties for that to work?

• Like Like x 1
  2. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I have a NEX 5T, but it's essentially the same. I agree. It's been frustrating for me too. The thing about auto ISO vs just manual ISO is that the camera can do increments of 1/3 stop, where you have to increment by full stops.
    Additionally, I wish you could set max levels for ISO, Shutter, and Aperture in applicable modes. I have seen this feature on lessor cameras. It's odd this isn't available.

Incidentally, I read that the a6000 does provide auto- ISO in manual mode. It may even address other issues.

• Like Like x 2
  3. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Yup, +1. But not gonna happen, IMO.

4. Fundadores

Oct 14, 2013
    I´m not willing to buy to the 6000 now, but glad they made that upgrade.

5. Dan Euritt

Dan Euritt TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    i don't know how well autoiso works on the a6000, but it's poorly implemented on the a7 a7r:
    http://community.sony.com/t5/Alpha-...tioning-with-P-A-S-exposure-modes/td-p/279773

i don't think that it got fixed in the latest firmware update, either.

with the a7r, what i have to do at the track is to manually set the shutter and aperture, i don't have a choice for those... the only thing left is to manually wheel through the iso settings, depending on what side of the track i'm on.

i set soft targets for either 500iso(sun) or 1250iso(shadow), then tweak slightly, depending on the color of the car, and where the sun is as the day progresses.

those could be saved as presets, but i'm not yet sure if swapping presets works faster than just tweaking the iso.

6. mattia

mattia TalkEmount Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    Auto-Iso on the A7 is pretty terrible in A mode (I don't use S or P mode), but actually works quite well indeed in manual mode: set the aperture, shutter speed, float the ISO (auto) and fine-tune with the exposure comp dial. It basically turns auto into pseudo-auto, as the iso is set based on the selected metering mode.

I'd really love them to fix it for A mode (let met set minimum shutter speeds, please, or at least some 'logic' such as '1/focal length' or '1/2xfocal length' rather than defaulting to 1/60th for pretty much everything, and it should account for whether a lens is stabilised or not, k thanks) but I can live with it. For unstabilised primes, unlike the person complaining in your link, I actually think 1/60th (on the A7r) is often not fast enough to ensure critically sharp images with the 55, and just about right for the 35.

7. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    surely auto adjusting the iso would alter the setting you have chosen for shutter speed and aperture

8. rossi46

rossi46 TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 28, 2014
    This is one of those things that frustrates me as well. How difficult could it be to have this feature added? A simple programming change to the firmware, certainly.

I'm glad the a6000 has auto-ISO, but as another member said - I'm not prepared to upgrade just yet. It would be nice if Sony were to include the option in a updated firmware, but that is not their style. :dash2:

9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I don't think I've ever used full "M" mode. All of my lenses have aperture rings, so I use "S" mode and adjust the aperture on the lens. "S" mode allows for "AUTO ISO." It is strange though that "M" does not.

I echo the wish though to be able to set MIN/MAX ISO. My biggest(only real one) complaint with the platform.

10. yakky

yakky TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Fitst I'd like to point out that we made it to nine posts without someone questioning why you might need auto iso. Has to be a first.

I'd love to see it as well. Cherry on top would be adjustable shutter speed limits as well. One can dream.

11. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    :D Yeah, over at dpreview, it would be the first reply.

• Like Like x 1
  12. mattia

Dec 13, 2013
    Nope. In manual mode on the A7r, if you set the aperture and shutter, and set ISO to auto, it will select ISO based on the selected metering mode to get a good exposure. And respond to what setting you've selected for your exposure compensation as well.

Basically it turns M mode into a combination of A and S; a semi auto mode rather than 'true' manual exposure. Flip ISO to a fixed setting and the camera is in true M, and the exposure comp doesn't affect your exposure any more.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Fundadores

Oct 14, 2013
    And thats what I want, thanks for clearing that out.

14. Dan Euritt

Dan Euritt TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    i just now set it up like that, with the f60m flash, hard-wired off camera, on a flash bracket, hss, full manual 1:1 power.

i shot with and without the flash... the autoiso setting didn't seem to change, and if i get close to the subject, it blows out the exposure, by giving the picture an iso6400 setting, which is way overboard... center point metering, on the side of the car, no question what it's seeing.

the funny thing is that setting effect on shows the effect of the flash in the evf... so the camera darn well knows how the flash is affecting the picture, but autoiso fails to take the flash lighting into account.

it might work better if the flash is set to auto, but that's not how i need it to work... i need full flash all the time.

so ymmv if you are using autoiso, even without the flash, it underexposed one of the shots.

the other thing is that the viewfinder only says auto, i'm not seeing where it tells you what iso is going to be used... iso6400 is extreme, if i can't set an upper limit, at least tell me how it's going to be set, before i take the pic.

15. mattia

Dec 13, 2013
    I never use flash, so can't help you there. But you can set ISO limits on the A7, just not any intelligent shutter speed/ISO interactions.

• Like Like x 1
  16. NkedFatWhiteGuy

NkedFatWhiteGuy TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    +1 on auto ISO in M and ability to set max ISO on the NEX 6! Would love both functions to be available.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk