Worth switching from FE28mm to Sigma 30mm F1.4

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Noor, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Noor

Noor TalkEmount Regular

Jan 25, 2016
    Noor Arnaout
  2. Noor

Noor TalkEmount Regular

Jan 25, 2016
    Noor Arnaout
  3. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    The Sigma 30mm 1.4 DC DN is a great lens. If you only plan on shooting APS-C, I'd get it. If you do plan going FF later on, the 28mm f/2 will give you two FLs in one lens. So it's really up to you what your long term camera plans are.

• Like Like x 1
  4. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Your link compares the two different lenses on two different bodies. Make sure you compare them on the same body. The NEX7 sensor is inferior to the a6000 and it shows in the results.

Downsides I see of the 30 are more CA and heavier vignetting, but yes, it seems to be sharper. How's AF? In my experience, Sigma in general tends to be a tad slower and maybe noisier, but that's not always the case. I don't know this lens, but you might want to research that angle, too.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    The 28mm is a great lens, I use it on my A7R2 and A6000. I find the IQ is fine, certainly no issues with sharpness or detail etc.
    Do you really think even if the specs and tests show the Sigma to be sharper you will really notice. If you have the 28 I'd keep it and then if you get a ff body you have a nice prime for it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    I have the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 for APS-C E-mount and so far am quite pleased with it. It has become my default lens for most situations. I did create a showcase thread for what it is worth so far. Showcase - Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC DN Contemporary

That said, I do not however have the Sony FE 28/2 to compare it to. In another thread discussing the announcement and release of the Sigma earlier this year, I did link to a video review by Davin Lavikka that does do a decent comparison of the two lenses.
    New Sigma 30mm 1.4 coming for E-mount
    His conclusion is basically that the two are close, but the 28/2 has less CA and purple fringing, whereas the Sigma may be sharper in the center and a stop faster. And, if you have an FE body or might get one soon, then stick with the 28/2, but if you need or want that extra stop of light gathering and want to save the US$100 difference between the two, then the Sigma may be a good choice.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Noor

Noor TalkEmount Regular

Jan 25, 2016
    Noor Arnaout
    I am unsure if I'm going FF anytime soon , but it's the extra stop I'm after , I want more bokeh. Yes ,the 28mm is a good lens that I would not mind keeping !
    I've put it up for sale , I'll only do the switch if I get a reasonable price :)

8. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    I think it also depends on how good your copy of the 28mm is. My current copy is pretty excellent and the center sharpness doesn't seem much behind my 55. My first copy not so much.

Sent from my iPad using TalkEmount mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  9. Noor

Noor TalkEmount Regular

Jan 25, 2016
    Noor Arnaout
    Sold the 28mm at a good price and ordered the 30mm , will let you know my impressions when I get it :)

• Like Like x 3
  10. Noor

Noor TalkEmount Regular

Jan 25, 2016
    Noor Arnaout
    Got the lens and had a chance to quickly test it before nightfall.I'm happy with it , the extra stop is really nice to have ! , very sharp from F/1.4 for close subjects but the drawback it does seem to exhibit major field curvature for subjects at infinity , stopping down to f/5.6 or f/8 yields sharp results.

I'll post some samples later

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Glad you like it. That seems to match my experience with it so far. Looking forward to your samples.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkEmount mobile app

12. Noor

Noor TalkEmount Regular

Jan 25, 2016
    Noor Arnaout
    Got a keeper here :)
    F1.4
    f1.4.JPG

F2.8
    f2.8.JPG
    F5.6
    f5.6.JPG

F8
    f8.JPG

F1.4 Tree shot
    f1.4t.JPG
    F2.8 Tree Shot
    f2.8t.JPG
    F4 Tree Shot
    f4t.JPG
    F8 Tree Shot
    f8t.JPG

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Noor

Noor TalkEmount Regular

Jan 25, 2016
    Noor Arnaout
    my bad , had the same image (the 1.4) posted for all tree shots , updated now !