1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Working with adapted includes

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by alaios, Jan 24, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Dear all,
    I would like to ask you help me understand how it is like working with adapted lenses. If I understand it right the focus is manual and I have to do it myself.
    Is it possible to set the camera do all the settings needed so I have only to work with the focusing? It would be easier for me to do one step at a time, so start working on the manual focusing.

Regards
    Alex

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    If you put the camera in A mode and set the aperture on the lens, the camera will adjust the shutter speed and apply whatever shooting efffects (portrait, landscape etc) you have set and all you need to do is focus and shoot.

Depending on how much there is available you might want to set ISO to auto also.

3. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Good thing is, what you see one the screen or in the viewfinder is what the picture will look like. That way you can make adjustments and see the results before you snap the shutter. To me, that's a HUGE advantage over shooting with a DSLR.

4. RalllyFan

RalllyFan TalkEmount Regular

Dec 2, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Tom
    Don't let the fact that you have to set the aperture on the lens discourage you, the results will be very rewarding and you'll understand the settings easier than you think. Plus - it's digital! If you don't like the pic, delete it, change the settings and try again. Plus, it's cheap enough to try. You can get an adapter and a great old lens for less than $50 (USD) if you hunt around.

5. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    Recently a couple of high end compact cameras are designed with aperture ring on the lens again, so what's old is new.

You'll need to distinguish manual focusing from manual metering. When you use manual focusing, the camera can still do the majority of the work for you. For example, in A mode, you set the aperture and/or ISO, the camera determines shutter speed.

Please also be aware that the manual focus feel of AF lenses (electronic, "focus by wire") are entirely different from those of MF (dampened, mechanical, tactile) lenses.

6. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    What I have exactly to do with such a lens'?

1. Focus
    2. Change aperture
    3. Change shutter speed
    4. change iso

Do I ahve to do all these things? Is not possible to get some help from my nex for the beginning?

Regards
    Alex

7. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Again it depends. I use mostly Aperture priority or Manual. In Aperture priority the camera adjusts exposure time based on aperture, iso and light. You have to focus (which isn't usually difficult) and choose aperture. With iso you are already familiar (higher iso means shorter exposure time, smaller aperture or combination of them relative to lower iso but higher iso causes more noise).

Aperture is most difficult to understand. It is simply a round hole that restricts how much light will arrive to the sensor in given time. However aperture affects depth of field (ie. how sharp objects outside the focus surface are) and lens aberrations (lenses are far from perfect).

a 50 mm old lens isn't going to cost much. It is even possible that somebody near you has got suitable one. Look around. Then you need adapter for the lens. These cost something like 10 USD. Don't purchase too many lenses too fast. There are several good manual lenses available cheaply still. 28mm, 50mm and 135mm lenses very popular in 80's and some are cheap and quite good. I have lately got several zooms in the range of 70-210mm as there are some very good available and prices are something like 30 usd. Some are quite bad.

Single manual focus lens is going to teach you more about photography than an expensive camera. My cheap C3 has much more properties than most expensive cameras in the 80's (when program mode was a new thing and TTL flash wasn't a possibility for amateur).

8. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thanks,
    so that means that I set apperture on my lens and on my camera I focus and then the camera does the rest, finding shutter speed and iso. Right?

9. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    What you MUST do:
    - Set aperture on the lens
    - Focus at the lens

What your camera can do for you (or you can do it manually too)
    - Set exposure time
    - Set ISO

What you CAN'T do:
    - Automatic aperture
    - Autofocus