• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Working with A7 ii and Altson EF-to-Sony E-mount Adapter

ohaya

TalkEmount Regular
Hi,

I just had another session with the Tamron, this time at 500mm, and FYI, I noticed that there is some vignetting at the 4 corners (there was no vignetting earlier, when the lens was zoomed less).

Brownie

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Tim
You need to understand how distance affects the image. When you're shooting through that much atmosphere you will encounter image degradation, and there isn't much you can do about it. Temperature, humidity, light, dust, haze, they all play a part. You will likely never make a shot like some of those you're posting that will be razor sharp with good contrast. The closer the airplane, the better the result.

The reason I bring this up is it's a terrible way to test a lens. Your shots appear to vary in distance, and certainly in conditions. You are comparing apples and oranges when you shoot on different days and under different conditions. I suggest your results are by-and-large inconclusive (at best) and really don't tell you much about the lenses by comparison. If you really want to know what the lens (not the atmosphere) is doing, pick a subject that's closer and well lit. Try something at 50 feet to begin with and do direct comparisons lens for lens. Set the camera on a tripod and change lenses in-situ.

As to your question regarding the focus and various focus points, take into account DOF and the camera settings. Deeper DOF will make a lot more of the shot in focus. DOF suffers with telephoto, so the more you're zoomed, the narrower the DOF.

ohaya

TalkEmount Regular
You need to understand how distance affects the image. When you're shooting through that much atmosphere you will encounter image degradation, and there isn't much you can do about it. Temperature, humidity, light, dust, haze, they all play a part. You will likely never make a shot like some of those you're posting that will be razor sharp with good contrast. The closer the airplane, the better the result.

The reason I bring this up is it's a terrible way to test a lens. Your shots appear to vary in distance, and certainly in conditions. You are comparing apples and oranges when you shoot on different days and under different conditions. I suggest your results are by-and-large inconclusive (at best) and really don't tell you much about the lenses by comparison. If you really want to know what the lens (not the atmosphere) is doing, pick a subject that's closer and well lit. Try something at 50 feet to begin with and do direct comparisons lens for lens. Set the camera on a tripod and change lenses in-situ.

As to your question regarding the focus and various focus points, take into account DOF and the camera settings. Deeper DOF will make a lot more of the shot in focus. DOF suffers with telephoto, so the more you're zoomed, the narrower the DOF.

Re. your last paragraph: FYI, the shots that I was comparing were sequential (almost the same time) and almost same settings: 1/1250, f/5.6. The not-as-sharp one was slightly lower ISO (125, vs. 160 for the sharper one), so I think that the conditions would be almost the same.

FYI, I've had this lens for awhile, and have been using it for several seasons, with several of my Fuji bodies (X-T2 and X-T3), so what I'm doing now, as part of starting with Sony, is mostly to determine/test how well/if the lens adapts (esp. how well/fast focus works) with the Sony A7 ii (for now). I think I should've been clearer about what I am trying to do.

Thanks,
Jim

Brownie

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Tim
Re. your last paragraph: FYI, the shots that I was comparing were sequential (almost the same time) and almost same settings: 1/1250, f/5.6. The not-as-sharp one was slightly lower ISO (125, vs. 160 for the sharper one), so I think that the conditions would be almost the same.

FYI, I've had this lens for awhile, and have been using it for several seasons, with several of my Fuji bodies (X-T2 and X-T3), so what I'm doing now, as part of starting with Sony, is mostly to determine/test how well/if the lens adapts (esp. how well/fast focus works) with the Sony A7 ii (for now). I think I should've been clearer about what I am trying to do.

Thanks,
Jim
I suppose if focus speed is your only concern then what you're doing is fine, but if any of your tests are for IQ, then you should take both cameras for a direct comparison.

ohaya

TalkEmount Regular
I suppose if focus speed is your only concern then what you're doing is fine, but if any of your tests are for IQ, then you should take both cameras for a direct comparison.
Yes, definitely will do that at some point!

Thanks,
Jim

ohaya

TalkEmount Regular

Latest threads

Top Bottom