• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Working with A7 ii and Altson EF-to-Sony E-mount Adapter

ohaya

TalkEmount Regular
Subsequent to my earlier threads, I am now using an A7 ii instead of A7, and am having good results with the Altson EF-to-Sony E-mount adapter.

There is a kind of awkward sequence to change that adapter from 1 mode to the other (CDAF <-> PDAF modes)?) and there isn't a way to tell which mode it is in, other than testing with camera and lenses, but I now have it setup so that AF-C works (I use Flexible spot and see the tiny green squares when I focus), and I have been doing more hummingbirds shooting and also was able to get out and do some ground-to-air aviation shooting recently.

Here's one taken with A7 ii + Altson + Canon 400mm (the cheaper one) - handheld using in-camera IBIS, SOOC JPG:

DSC07101.JPG
ILCE-7M2    #172 400/5.6    400mm    f/5.6    1/800s    ISO 200

This was late-afternoon/late evening, so bright sun was shining almost directly at me, so I had to bump the EV comp up a bit to not get backlit. Shooting continuous AF-C. I don't remember if I was doing continuous Hi or Lo (I was going back and forth during the session).

Biro

TalkEmount Veteran
Interesting bit of vignetting. Is the adaptor responsible for that? And was it pleasant working with that set up?

ohaya

TalkEmount Regular
Hi Biro and Woodworks,

Interesting/weird!

I also have a Canon 100-400 II that I've used with this same adapter and I didn't notice that (so I wasn't looking for it with the 400mm), but I only did a few shots with the 100-400mm, and they were of hummingbirds, and because of the framing/lighting, the corner areas were already dark, so I can't tell if I get that same vignetting with the 100-400mm. I will try it with the adapter and also a Tamron 150-600mm, when I have a chance and see what that looks like, but it may be awhile.

Jim

ohaya

TalkEmount Regular
I hope not/don't think so. I realized that I made a big error by starting with the a7, especially since I knew I didn't want to make an immediate commitment to Sony native glass, i.e., that I wanted to work with adapted.

Now I am fairly (actually really) satisfied with the a7 ii, and I am sure that it will keep me busy until the A7 iv.

I Thanks,
Jim

ohaya

TalkEmount Regular
Hi,

I just tested the A7 ii with the Altson adapter and a Tamron 150-600mm G2 (canon mount) and had some strange results:

- It worked when I used it to shoot some hummingbirds at the feeders on our deck (so about 10-15')

- But it would not focus when I tried to use it to shoot some planes landing (~3900'?) - tried both wide and flex spot L.

I was using AF-C in both cases.

I was very disappointed :(...

Jim

P.S. I just checked the Altson "manual" and it looks like the G2 (A022) is not on the compatibility list, but the older 150-600mm (A011) is :(...

ohaya

TalkEmount Regular
So I just tested A7 ii + Canon 100-400mm ii + Canon TC 1.4x, and it seemed work, but I think that I had to turn the lens OIS off.

First set of shots (with the lens OIS on) were blurry, and also I think the icon on the LCD said "off". Then I turned the lens OIS off, the icon showed the film and picture icon, and the pictures were better/sharper. Very heavy though, with lens and the TC.

I may circle back to try the Tamron again, but make sure to disable the Tamron VC.

P.S. Here's one of the ones with the 100-400mm + TC 1.4 (SOOC):

DSC08716.JPG
ILCE-7M2    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM+1.4x    463mm    f/8.0    1/1000s    ISO 250

P.P.S. Unlike when the Altson adapter was used with the Canon 400mm lens, it looks like it doesn't cause vignetting with the 100-400mm ii lens.

Last edited:

ohaya

TalkEmount Regular
I used an A7ii with almost exclusively older glass - Minolta, Contax, Leica m-mount, and one adapt-all macro. These worked really well for me. I've since moved to mostly Voigtlander emount lenses now, but still have a few of these lenses. The Contax/Zeiss glass in particular was amazing and if I still had them would rival my current best lenses. (I sold them to fund parts of my current kit.) I've actually considered paying for a couple of mount-converted Contax G series lenses, the 45mm and 90mm, they were so good.

Once I moved to a 42M A7R3 I did find many of my old lenses just weren't as impressive. I attribute this to the higher sensor resolution, but do not know for sure. So if the idea is to assemble a lens collection to carry you forward to higher-resolution bodies, make sure you buy sharp lenses. You'll pay a little more but it will be worth it.
That is good advice.

I think that I am still "dipping my toes into the water" for Sony, so I am trying to avoid making an significant investment into native Sony glass. That is part of the reason for looking at adapted lenses. The other is that I've always been kind of fascinated with adapting lenses, and that has been the same with all of the "systems" that I've gotten into. I probably won't start committing to glass until after I get my "next" Sony body, which will hopefully be an A7 iv.

ohaya

TalkEmount Regular
I circled back and tried the Altson adapter+Tamron 150-600mm, this time with the lens VC disabled (so only the A7 ii IBIS), and it was able to focus this time. This was shooting handheld, but with the weight (and length) of the lens, plus with these shots, where the plane is heading in the opposite direction, and almost overhead, it was hard to hold things stead.
Here's a test shot (SOOC - not great... sorry - will try again when I have the chance - also lens was not zoomed to max... I think about 226mm):
DSC08818.JPG
ILCE-7M2    TAMRON SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 A022    226mm    f/5.6    1/1250s    ISO 160

ohaya

TalkEmount Regular
It was cloudy this morning, but I did more tests with the Tamron. Still same awkward shooting position and still shooting as they are moving away from me (this is NOT my preference), but this time I used WIDE and Burst Hi instead earlier Flexspot-L and Burst Lo, and I think I got some reasonably sharp pics and am attaching one of them (the sharpest of today). Again, SOOC:

DSC08966-VERY-sharp.JPG
ILCE-7M2    TAMRON SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 A022    329mm    f/5.6    1/1250s    ISO 160

ohaya

TalkEmount Regular
Hi - As I mentioned, with the Tamron lens, I had changed some of the things I was doing until this point:

- I disabled the Tamron lens VC/OIS
- I used Wide
- I changed from Burst Lo to Burst Lo

I am curious which, if any, of these changes helped?

As mentioned earlier, at one point, I had tried both flex spot L and Wide, and the Tamron didn't focus at all.. just kept hunting, but with the above, the lens was actually focusing (I was seeing the small green squares in the EVF).

Thanks,
Jim

ohaya

TalkEmount Regular
My guess is disabling the OSS on the lens since an adapted lens will likely fight with the built-in IBIS of the body and this may prevent the body from finding focus since they were not made under the same program code so the lens reacts to some movement but the body is also reacting to the same movement not knowing the lens has compensated.

I had this kind of issue with a Sigma 150mm F 2.8 APO Macro lens on my A7II with LA-EA4 where i could not get any sharp picture from it until i disabled the lens OS.
Hi,

I posted a more specific question here about the icon I am seeing in the A7 ii EVF:

https://www.talkemount.com/threads/what-does-this-steadyshot-icon-in-evf-mean-a7-ii.20448/

If you don't mind, and if you know the answer, can you post them there?

Thanks!

Jim

ohaya

TalkEmount Regular
I just found an app named "A7info" (https://www.soens.de/a7info.html) that is able to display the focus points from images, and I tried it with the set of images that I took with the Tamron, and it indeed shows the focus points.

But, when I was reviewing those images in A7info, I found that for the image that I thought was the sharpest ("DSC08966" - this was the last image above), the focus points were not even on the plane!! I also found that on some of the other images where the focus points WERE on the plane, those were definitely not as sharp as that "sharpest" image.

Here's the A7info screenshots for the one with the focus points on the plane (not so sharp) and the one with the focus points not on the plane (very sharp):

A7info-DSC08953.jpg
   ---            

The sharpest:
A7info-DSC08966-very-sharp.jpg
   ---            

And here is a comparison view of both in Fast Raw Viewer app at 100%:
FRV-Comparison-at-100percent.jpg
   ---            

From the last (comparison) screenshot, the one one right (where the focus points missed the plane completely) is actually much sharper than the one on the left (where the focus points were on the plane). FYI, the camera is set for focus priority (not release), so I am curious about thoughts about why this discrepancy?

Jim

Latest threads

Top Bottom